Buddie Hershel Staton
01-09-1931 to 09-06-2019
Linn County News
Published Sept. 11, 2019
Buddie Hershel Staton, age 88, Pleasanton, Kan., passed away on Friday, Sept. 6, 2019, at his home. He was born Jan. 9, 1931, outside Pleasanton, the youngest of six children born to Novel "Bud" and Maude G. Bright Staton.
He lived the majority of his life in Linn County except for 10 months he spent in Detroit, Mich., as a child. He attended and graduated from Pleasanton High School in 1949.
On March 25, 1950, he married Wanda G. Weems in Pleasanton where they raised their family.
Buddie worked in the banking business 53 1/2 years beginning in 1949, originally with the Bank of Pleasanton and then purchased by Farmers State of Blue Mound in 1989. Buddie was a member of the KBA (Kansas Bankers Association) 50 Year Club.
He served on the Pleasanton City Council and Pleasanton Housing Authority Board, was treasurer of the Pleasanton Alumni Association, and volunteered with the Red Cross, March of Dimes, Cub Scouts and Boy Scouts. He was a past member of the Scottish Rite Consistory and the Masonic Lodge, serving one term as master.
Buddie was preceded in death by his parents, wife and five brothers, Pete, Milford, John, Gene and Leon.
Survivors include his five sons, Douglas H. Staton and wife Debora, Jeffrey A. Staton and wife Terri, Bradford J. Staton and wife Lenita, Clayton L. Staton and wife Fran, and Gregory D. Staton and wife Kristi; one daughter, Janette L. Miller and husband Gary; eight grandsons and eight granddaughters; numerous great grandchildren; and many extended family members.
Funeral services will be 11 a.m. Wednesday, Sept. 11, 2019, at the Schneider Funeral Home and Crematory, Pleasanton Chapel. Burial will be in the Pleasanton Cemetery. Visitation was scheduled to be held from 5-7 p.m. Tuesday at the Pleasanton Chapel.
Contributions are suggested to the Pleasanton Cemetery or Linn County Care to Share c/o Schneider Funeral Home, P.O. Box 525, Pleasanton, KS 66075. Online condolences can be left at www.schneiderfunerals.com.
Ruby Violet Brenneman, age 81, La Cygne, Kan., passed away on Thursday, Sept. 12, 2019, at her home. She was born on June 29, 1938, in La Cygne the daughter of John D. and Violet May Anderson Holman. She graduated from La Cygne Rural High School in the Class of 1956. ... [More]
Dwayne Charles Beckford was born July 20, 1949, in Riverside, Calif., to Andrew Beckford and Lucille Hillman Beckford. His father's military career took the family to many locations before finally settling in Mapleton, Kan. He graduated from Blue Mound High School in 1967... [More]
James Walter Meech, age 62, passed away Monday, Sept. 2, 2019, with his wife, kids and close friends near, on his farm home near Fort Scott, Kan., after a battle with Gliosarcoma brain cancer. Jim was born April 18, 1957, in Fort Scott, the son of Dennis Walter and Estella... [More]
- James A. “Jim” Larch 09-24-1960 to 09-16-2019
- Oleta Davidson 08-07-1921 to 09-14-2019
- Johnny Allen Smith 03-07-1946 to 09-12-2019
- Lee Edward Fisher 05-02-1918 to 09-09-2019
- Harold Loyd West 10-24-1928 to 09-09-2019
- Letha F. Wurtz 06-19-1940 to 09-03-2019
- Johnnie M. Gooden 03-05-1935 to 08-29-2019
- Marilyn B. Eastwood 02-01-1928 to 08-23-2019
The corner of Main and Walnut streets served as the home vicinity for two separate patron complaints at Thursday’s monthly Parker City Council meeting. One issue addressed by Tony Cole, 338 W. Main St., involved the legality of his solution to prevent large trucks from... [More]
La Cygne will move forward with interviews to find a Class II water plant operator and Class I wastewater operator. That was the verdict expressed by Mayor Robert Sullivan to close a special council meeting last Wednesday, Sept. 11. Following 10 minutes of open-session information,... [More]
During the meeting of the County Commissioners on Monday, Sept. 16, Deputy Scott Polster reported that items either taken by former County Attorney John Sutherland, or purchased by him illegally with county funds, are now being returned to the county by the Federal Bureau of... [More]
- Steven Louis Finley 05-24-1966 to 06-15-2019
- Wanda Sheppard 06-10-1926 to 01-08-2019
- Jack Edward Scott 01-22-1925 to 06-10-2019
- Lloyd Eugene “Gene” Dixon 10-31-1938 to 06-11-2019
- John R. Markley, DVM 04-23-1934 to 05-22-2019
- Bobby J. Wurtz 02-01-1936 to 05-14-2019
- Parker leaders double Christmas toy donation
- Attempted abduction reported on fairgrounds
Prairie View volleyball struggled last season, but the team is hoping this season they can get a few more wins and so far that seems to be the case. The season started with a triangular at Central Heights on Sept. 5 against Osawatomie and Central Heights. The Lady Buffs were... [More]
The Pleasanton football team had a setback this past week as they fell to league foe Southeast Cherokee, 28-12. The Jays hosted the Lancers on Sept. 13, and things started off right for the Jays as quarterback Dale Gillespie connected with Kasen McKee for a 21-yard touchdown.... [More]
- A day to remember: Lady Buff seniors help sweep Oz in home finale
- Pleasanton baseball falls to Northeast; softball gets first wins of season
- Pleasanton places 7th in TRL tournament
- Alcorn, Snyder compete for the Buffalos at State
- Stone, Broyles, Dawson medal for Hawks at State Track Meet
- Miller leads Blu-Jays at State track
- Pleasanton track hosts Three Rivers League meet
- Prairie View golf hosts Prairie View Invitational