Edna Maxine Swogar
06-30-1926 to 07-21-2019
Linn County News
Published July 31, 2019
Edna Maxine Swogar, 93, of Pittsburg, Kan., died on Sunday, July 21, 2019, at the Comfort Care Home in Pittsburg. She was born June 30, 1926, at Colorado Springs, Colo., the daughter of Warren and Alice Schrieve Smith.
Edna worked as a licensed practical nurse in long-term care for many years. At the age of 59 she decided to go back to college, where she attended the University of Central Oklahoma in Edmond, Okla., and received a Bachelor’s Degree in Mortuary Science. She was a licensed funeral director and embalmer in Kansas. She was raised in Colorado Springs and graduated from Colorado Springs High School.
She also enjoyed teaching at the adult education center. Her hobbies included bowling, going to the casinos, and playing board games and cards with family and friends.
She married Melvin “Bud” Everett Swogar on July 5, 1952, at Colorado Springs. He preceded her in death on April 7, 1985.
She was a member of the Victory Life Church in Pittsburg. She served in the Air Force National Guard as a lieutenant during World War II.
Survivors include five daughters, Dora (Ron) Ware, Pittsburg, Vickie (Randy) Heitz, Cherokee, Patty (Randy) Page, Blue Mound, Carolyn (Bill) Compton, Chanute, and Karen Shields, Jacksonville, Fla.; two sons, Warren Swogar, Texas, and Ronnie (Vivian) Swogar of Opie; two sisters, Alice (Ray) Adamscheck, Colorado Springs, and Betty (Bill) Hathaway, Pittsburg; and many grandchildren, great grandchildren and great, great grandchildren.
She was preceded in death by her parents; husband Bud; daughters Connie Swogar and Kathleen Zdziemborski; three brothers, Warren, Richard and Robert Smith; a sister, Arlene Smith; granddaughters Maxine Eubanks and Janet Mitchell; and great grandson Darren Bright.
Funeral services were scheduled at 10 a.m., Thursday, July 25, 2019, at the Bedene Funeral Home in Arma, Kan., with Pastor Donnie Talent officiating, with burial at the Elm Grove Cemetery in Cadmus, Kan. The family was to receive friends from 6-7 p.m. Wednesday at the Bedene Chapel at Arma.
The family suggests memorials to the Victory Life church in Pittsburg. Donations may be sent to or left at the Bedene Funeral Home, 517 E. Washington, Box 621, Arma, KS 66712.
Linn County News Published July 3, 2019 Rosalie Rebecca (Priest) Rowe of Iola, Kan., went to be with the Lord on Monday, July 1, 2019. Rosalie departed this world peacefully at home surrounded by her husband and her sons. Rosalie was born in Lawrence, Kan., on Jan.... [More]
Published in the Linn County News July 3, 2019 Adam Wayne Bancroft, age 48, resident of Ft. Scott, KS, died Friday, June 21, 2019, as the result of a vehicle accident east of Ft. Scott on Hwy. 54. He was born January 10, 1971, in Lansing, MI, the son... [More]
Published in the Linn County News July 3, 2019 Cleo Irma Bloomfield, age 93, a lifelong resident of Prescott, Kan., passed away late Tuesday, June 25, 2019, at the Via Christi Hospital in Pittsburg, Kan. She was born September 13, 1925, in Prescott,... [More]
- Shirley Ann Chambers 03-09-1935 to 08-16-2019
- Robert “Bob” Henry Dingus 08-27-1927 to 08-15-2019
- Melvin Tinsley, Jr. 10-05-1927 to 08-13-2019
- Dale Lynette Wilkerson 03-11-1968 to 05-06-2019
- Marion R. Cannon 11-30-1941 to 08-04-2019
- Edward “Eddy” Wayne Lewis 08-08-1962 to 07-29-2019
- Olive Tartenaar 12-11-1927 to 07-30-2019
- Jacqueline Jo Johnson 08-05-1948 to 07-27-2019
Unified School District 362 property taxpayers will see a decrease of almost 1.5 mills for the 2019-20 school term. A unanimous vote by its board of education Monday night sets this year’s total mill levy at 44.241, down from last year’s... [More]
Samantha L. McCoy appeared in Bates County Circuit Court in Butler, Mo., on Wednesday, Aug. 7, with her public defender, Jeff Martin, for an arraignment hearing in front of Judge Julie Highley-Kuetzer on the charge of murder in the first degree,... [More]
A longtime civic leader has announced her resignation from the La Cygne City Council. At the end of the council’s regular meeting last Wednesday, Aug. 7, Esther Shields cited an impending relocation to a Paola senior apartment complex... [More]
- Francis Dean Pratt 07-01-1929 to 06-19-2019
- Steven Louis Finley 05-24-1966 to 06-15-2019
- Isabel Marie Read 10-07-1917 to 06-17-2019
- Wanda Sheppard 06-10-1926 to 01-08-2019
- Jack Edward Scott 01-22-1925 to 06-10-2019
- Lloyd Eugene “Gene” Dixon 10-31-1938 to 06-11-2019
- John R. Markley, DVM 04-23-1934 to 05-22-2019
- Bobby J. Wurtz 02-01-1936 to 05-14-2019
The annual kids fishing derby was held at the Linn County Fair and Rodeo on the morning of Aug. 10. It was a good crowd this year as over 60 young anglers came out to enjoy some fishing. The competition began around 8:30 a.m. and ended about an hour later.... [More]
Prairie View student Jade Chambers spent his summer competing in youth rodeos and has done quite well. He competed in the National Junior High Finals Rodeo in Huron, S.D., from June 23 to June 29. In this rodeo he competed in ribbon roping, goat tying... [More]
- A day to remember: Lady Buff seniors help sweep Oz in home finale
- Pleasanton baseball falls to Northeast; softball gets first wins of season
- Pleasanton places 7th in TRL tournament
- Alcorn, Snyder compete for the Buffalos at State
- Stone, Broyles, Dawson medal for Hawks at State Track Meet
- Miller leads Blu-Jays at State track
- Pleasanton track hosts Three Rivers League meet
- Prairie View golf hosts Prairie View Invitational