James Walter Meech, age 62, passed away Monday, Sept. 2, 2019, with his wife, kids and close friends near, on his farm home near Fort Scott, Kan., after a battle with Gliosarcoma brain cancer. Jim was born April 18, 1957, in Fort Scott, the son of Dennis Walter and Estella E. (Gier) Meech.
He married Marita Miller on Sept. 8, 1984, in Fort Scott. They have two children, which he was extremely proud of, Elizabeth Marie Meech and John W. (JW) Meech.
As a young adult, Jim worked in the mechanic shop at Midwestern Distribution and Charlie Griffiths Cattle and also hauled cattle for Bob Walrod at Fort Scott Livestock on weekends.
Over the years, he enjoyed pulling his International 1066 farm tractor at local tractor pulls and was proud of his kids competing in pedal tractor pulls when they were young at the local, state, national and international levels. Jim beamed with pride when he talked about his kids’ horse and rodeo accomplishments.
Farming was deep in Jim’s blood. He was a very successful farmer, as he spent his entire life farming and ranching in Bourbon and Linn counties. Beginning after his graduation in 1975 from Fort Scott High School, Jim worked with his family on Triple M Farms, until his dad’s passing in 1992. From 1992-2012, Jim was a partner in Meech Brothers Farms. Since 2013, Jim worked/operated Jim Meech Farms with his wife, Marita.
Jim is survived by his wife, Marita, of the home; a daughter, Elizabeth Meech, Borger, Texas, and son JW Meech, Canyon, Texas; his mother-in-law, Venita Miller, Kincaid, Kan.; paternal aunts, Itha Jean and husband Harold Turntine, and Jewell Ross, Topeka, Kan.; and maternal aunts, Lela Ann Gier, Fort Scott, and Geneva Gier, Girard, Kan. Also surviving are several nieces, nephews and cousins.
He was preceded in death by his father, Dennis W. Meech; his paternal grandparents, Juell Walter Meech and Elsie May Finney Meech, and his uncle, Billy G. Meech; and his maternal grandparents, Oscar and Lizzie Goff Gier, his aunt, Opal Gier, and his uncles, Charles and Merle Gier.
Funeral services will be held 2 p.m. Saturday, Sept. 7, 2019, at the Schneider Funeral Home, Pleasanton, Kan. Burial will be in the Glendale Cemetery near Hammond, Kan. Visitation will be held from 6-8 p.m. Sept. 6, 2019, at the Schneider Funeral Home in Pleasanton.
The family suggests contributions to the Jim Meech Farmers/Ranchers in Health Crisis Fund. Online condolences for the family can be left at www.schneiderfunerals.com . Arrangements: Schneider Funerals, Pleasanton.
Ruby Violet Brenneman, age 81, La Cygne, Kan., passed away on Thursday, Sept. 12, 2019, at her home. She was born on June 29, 1938, in La Cygne the daughter of John D. and Violet May Anderson Holman. She graduated from La Cygne Rural High School in the Class of 1956. ... [More]
Dwayne Charles Beckford was born July 20, 1949, in Riverside, Calif., to Andrew Beckford and Lucille Hillman Beckford. His father's military career took the family to many locations before finally settling in Mapleton, Kan. He graduated from Blue Mound High School in 1967... [More]
Linn County News Published July 3, 2019 Rosalie Rebecca (Priest) Rowe of Iola, Kan., went to be with the Lord on Monday, July 1, 2019. Rosalie departed this world peacefully at home surrounded by her husband and her sons. Rosalie was born in Lawrence, Kan., on Jan.... [More]
- Esther Earline Croan 06-23-1930 to 11-18-2019
- Wanda (West) Pitts Dunsworth 12-05-1932 to 11-15-2019
- Shawn Aaron Teagarden 02-20-1976 to 11-14-2019
- Sylva Alletie Jenkins 07-13-1932 to 11-14-2019
- Joseph O. Patterson 06-10-1937 to 11-06-2019
- Frances Marie Pruitt 08-29-1936 to 11-04-2019
- Tabatha Elaine Brown 07-29-1979 to 10-27-2019
- Perle David Patrick Sr. 07-13-1938 to 11-02-2019
City clerk relays training vision on utility viability La Cygne will pursue a change in chemical vendors for their water treatment plant. That was the unanimous decision during the regular council meeting last Wednesday, Nov. 6, that included... [More]
District sets out-of-state tuition, head lice treatment policies Few future Prairie View High graduates will be affected by an adjustment enacted Monday night by the Unified School District 362 board of education. Potential out-of-state students... [More]
Local liquor retailer questions Dollar General cereal malt beverage expansion Whether city government has the right to deny an annual cereal malt beverage retail license application will be further examined at next week’s regular La Cygne council meeting.... [More]
- Steven Louis Finley 05-24-1966 to 06-15-2019
- Wanda Sheppard 06-10-1926 to 01-08-2019
- Jack Edward Scott 01-22-1925 to 06-10-2019
- Lloyd Eugene “Gene” Dixon 10-31-1938 to 06-11-2019
- John R. Markley, DVM 04-23-1934 to 05-22-2019
- Bobby J. Wurtz 02-01-1936 to 05-14-2019
- Parker leaders double Christmas toy donation
- Attempted abduction reported on fairgrounds
The Jayhawk wrestling program looks like the future is in good hands as the junior high team traveled to Burlington on Nov. 2. The team did very well at the Junior High Bobcat Classic and placed second with 110 points. Osawatomie won the... [More]
Pleasanton High School Varsity Competition Squad attended their first showcase of the competition season on Saturday, Nov. 9, at Louisburg for the Heartland Cheer Showcase. The squad was well represented in four categories including the game day routine, stunt group,... [More]
- Prairie View football defeats Caney Valley, advances to play Columbus in regional round
- Prairie View cross country hosts Ramsey Invitational
- A day to remember: Lady Buff seniors help sweep Oz in home finale
- Pleasanton baseball falls to Northeast; softball gets first wins of season
- Pleasanton places 7th in TRL tournament
- Alcorn, Snyder compete for the Buffalos at State
- Stone, Broyles, Dawson medal for Hawks at State Track Meet
- Miller leads Blu-Jays at State track