Linn County News
Published Jan. 9, 2019
Jane Elizabeth Downing of Linn Valley, Kan., passed away on Tuesday, Jan. 1, 2019, at her home, surrounded by love, at the age of 71. A loving mother and grandmother, she was born on April 29, 1947, at Titusville, Penn., the daughter of Clarence Merle and Dorothy Mae Kerr Dressler, who preceded her in death.
Jane will be forever remembered by her sons, Sean (Kathleen) O'Neill and Aaron (Julie) O'Neill; her stepchildren, Jeannette (John) Swartz, Veronica (Joe) Spiecker and Eddy Downing; Jane's beloved 10 grandchildren, Jacob, Brian, Roman, Lily, Amya, Nicholas, Brennon, Kalynn, John Jr. and Chelsea; and her great grandchildren.
Jane moved to the Kansas City area in 2000 where she met the love of her life, Cecil Downing. She and Cecil were married on May 12, 2002. He preceded her in death on May 12, 2018.
Jane worked for Sprint before retiring in 2012. Jane loved to read, her dogs, and spending time visiting friends while enjoying the view from the porch at her house.
Visitation will be held from 3-4 p.m. Wednesday, Jan. 9, 2019, at the Schneider Funeral Home and Crematory, La Cygne, Kan. A service will be held at the chapel at 4 p.m. following visitation.
Contributions are suggested to the Muscular Dystrophy Foundation, c/o Schneider Funeral Home, P.O. Box 304, La Cygne, KS 66040. Online condolences can be left at www.schneiderfunerals.com.
Linn County News Published Jan. 16, 2019 Diana Lynn Kessler, age 61, Blue Mound, Kan., passed away on Saturday, Jan. 12, 2019, at the Olathe Medical Center. She was born on Feb. 28, 1957, at Olathe, Kan., the daughter of Russell and Marie Burt Clay. She enjoyed... [More]
Linn County News Published Jan. 16, 2019 Roy Luttrell, age 69, of Pleasanton, Kan., passed away on Friday, Jan. 11, 2019, at St Luke’s South in Overland Park, Kan. He was born on Jan. 16, 1949, at Borger, Texas, the son of Warren Rufus and... [More]
Linn County News Published Jan. 16, 2019 Jane Lee Deter, 87, of Atlantic, Iowa, passed away Saturday, Jan. 5, 2019, at her home in Atlantic. Jane was born Feb. 25, 1931, in Fort Scott, Kan., to Reese Edward and Elizabeth Lorene (McCormack) Laughlin. She lived... [More]
- Virginia Ruth Mitchell 04-29-1930 to 12-10-2018
- Daniel Ernest Hall 04-29-1973 to 09-08-2018
- Kelly James Brown 11-19-1982 to 07-18-2018
- Lillian Lois (Nye) Mosler 04-01-1915 to 07-05-2018
- Aline Fairchild 07-23-1916 to 06-01-2018
- Jack M. Jeserick 06-16-1930 to 05-28-2018
- Charley Aaron Wisdom 06-26-1943 to 05-30-2018
- Edmond Glenn Arnold 10-10-1919 to 05-30-2018
Linn County was hit by the season’s first large snowfall over the weekend – admittedly a beautiful heavy snow – but with that, it brought power outages that several, as of press time, in the Parker and La Cygne area were still dealing with. Average snowfall... [More]
Parker has decided to conduct its city court on a monthly basis. After discussing the recommendation of Cherry Buckley, city court clerk, at last Thursday’s monthly meeting, the City Council approved not only the frequency change but... [More]
Jessy Willard, who recently purchased the building where the former Country View Nursing Home was located, attended Tuesday night’s Prescott City Council meeting to discuss his plans for the use of the building. Willard, who purchased the building two weeks ago,... [More]
- Parker leaders double Christmas toy donation
- Attempted abduction reported on fairgrounds
- Week at a Glance
- Sheriff supplying discs, cuts off CA access to server
- La Cygne mayor seeks U.S. Minerals appearance
- USD 362 board approves technology purchases
- Mound City holds open house
- Council action allows La Cygne sewer CCTV to proceed
The Jayhawk wrestling team traveled to Humboldt on Jan. 10 to compete in duals against Humboldt and Parsons. These duals finals ended in interesting circumstances. The team tied Humboldt 36-36 but lost the tie-breaking criteria. However, in the next dual against... [More]
The Prairie View boys basketball team played two Pioneer League games as they traveled to Anderson County on Jan. 8 and host Osawatomie on Jan. 11. The Buffalos lost both games as they fell to Anderson County 84-46 and then lost to Osawatomie 65-52. The Anderson County game... [More]
- Pleasanton places 7th in TRL tournament
- Alcorn, Snyder compete for the Buffalos at State
- Stone, Broyles, Dawson medal for Hawks at State Track Meet
- Miller leads Blu-Jays at State track
- Pleasanton track hosts Three Rivers League meet
- Prairie View golf hosts Prairie View Invitational
- Jayhawk baseball sweeps Pleasanton
- Pleasanton boys, girls win JV Iola Invitational