Linn County News
Published Jan. 16, 2019
Jane Lee Deter, 87, of Atlantic, Iowa, passed away Saturday, Jan. 5, 2019, at her home in Atlantic. Jane was born Feb. 25, 1931, in Fort Scott, Kan., to Reese Edward and Elizabeth Lorene (McCormack) Laughlin.
She lived in Pleasanton, Kan., until the family moved to California in 1941, where they lived in Auburn, Isleton, Cedarville, Alturas and Red Bluff. They returned to Kansas in 1945 and then moved to Papillion, Neb., in 1946.
Jane graduated from Papillion High School, Papillion, in 1949. She then attended the University of Nebraska-Lincoln, where she was a biology major and member of Gamma Phi Beta sorority.
She married Donald E. Deter in 1950, and they had three children, Rodney R., D. Scott and Jennifer A. They lived in Sioux City, Iowa, before moving to Atlantic on July 1, 1964.
Jane was a member of the First United Presbyterian Church in Atlantic and a member of the Friendship Force.
She was a big supporter of the Girl Scouts and was a member of the Girl Scout Council. She was also a 4-H leader. Jane taught needlepoint and enjoyed playing bridge. She played tennis, volleyball and golf. Jane was an avid adventurer and traveler. She had traveled to five continents and 61 countries.
Preceding her in death were her parents; a son, D. Scott; and her husband Don.
Jane is survived by a son, Rodney Deter and Lanita Kirby of Atlantic; a daughter, Jennifer Deter and Craig Glasgow of Percival, Iowa; grandchildren Rebekah (Ryan) Kelly of Durham, N.C., Ryan (Jaclyn) Deter of Simpsonville, S.C., and Sarah Grady and Howard Kaplan of Chicago, Ill.; great grandchildren, Ansley and Blakely Deter, Maude and Jane Kelly, and Ben and Lily Kaplan; a sister, Jeanette (Ken) Kinsey of Iowa City, Iowa; a niece, Elizabeth Hawley of Minneapolis, Minn.; and two nephews, Kristopher Kinsey of the U.K. and Jim Brunn of Minneapolis.
A memorial service was held Saturday, Jan. 12, 2019, at Hockenberry Family Care in Atlantic with a private burial in the Atlantic Cemetery.
Memorials may be left to the Girl Scouts.
Hockenberry Family Care in Atlantic, Iowa, was in charge of services.
Condolences may be left at www.hockenberryfamilycare.com.
Linn County News Published July 3, 2019 Rosalie Rebecca (Priest) Rowe of Iola, Kan., went to be with the Lord on Monday, July 1, 2019. Rosalie departed this world peacefully at home surrounded by her husband and her sons. Rosalie was born in Lawrence, Kan., on Jan.... [More]
Published in the Linn County News July 3, 2019 Adam Wayne Bancroft, age 48, resident of Ft. Scott, KS, died Friday, June 21, 2019, as the result of a vehicle accident east of Ft. Scott on Hwy. 54. He was born January 10, 1971, in Lansing, MI, the son... [More]
Published in the Linn County News July 3, 2019 Cleo Irma Bloomfield, age 93, a lifelong resident of Prescott, Kan., passed away late Tuesday, June 25, 2019, at the Via Christi Hospital in Pittsburg, Kan. She was born September 13, 1925, in Prescott,... [More]
- Shirley Ann Chambers 03-09-1935 to 08-16-2019
- Robert “Bob” Henry Dingus 08-27-1927 to 08-15-2019
- Melvin Tinsley, Jr. 10-05-1927 to 08-13-2019
- Dale Lynette Wilkerson 03-11-1968 to 05-06-2019
- Marion R. Cannon 11-30-1941 to 08-04-2019
- Edward “Eddy” Wayne Lewis 08-08-1962 to 07-29-2019
- Olive Tartenaar 12-11-1927 to 07-30-2019
- Jacqueline Jo Johnson 08-05-1948 to 07-27-2019
Unified School District 362 property taxpayers will see a decrease of almost 1.5 mills for the 2019-20 school term. A unanimous vote by its board of education Monday night sets this year’s total mill levy at 44.241, down from last year’s... [More]
Samantha L. McCoy appeared in Bates County Circuit Court in Butler, Mo., on Wednesday, Aug. 7, with her public defender, Jeff Martin, for an arraignment hearing in front of Judge Julie Highley-Kuetzer on the charge of murder in the first degree,... [More]
A longtime civic leader has announced her resignation from the La Cygne City Council. At the end of the council’s regular meeting last Wednesday, Aug. 7, Esther Shields cited an impending relocation to a Paola senior apartment complex... [More]
- Francis Dean Pratt 07-01-1929 to 06-19-2019
- Steven Louis Finley 05-24-1966 to 06-15-2019
- Isabel Marie Read 10-07-1917 to 06-17-2019
- Wanda Sheppard 06-10-1926 to 01-08-2019
- Jack Edward Scott 01-22-1925 to 06-10-2019
- Lloyd Eugene “Gene” Dixon 10-31-1938 to 06-11-2019
- John R. Markley, DVM 04-23-1934 to 05-22-2019
- Bobby J. Wurtz 02-01-1936 to 05-14-2019
The annual kids fishing derby was held at the Linn County Fair and Rodeo on the morning of Aug. 10. It was a good crowd this year as over 60 young anglers came out to enjoy some fishing. The competition began around 8:30 a.m. and ended about an hour later.... [More]
Prairie View student Jade Chambers spent his summer competing in youth rodeos and has done quite well. He competed in the National Junior High Finals Rodeo in Huron, S.D., from June 23 to June 29. In this rodeo he competed in ribbon roping, goat tying... [More]
- A day to remember: Lady Buff seniors help sweep Oz in home finale
- Pleasanton baseball falls to Northeast; softball gets first wins of season
- Pleasanton places 7th in TRL tournament
- Alcorn, Snyder compete for the Buffalos at State
- Stone, Broyles, Dawson medal for Hawks at State Track Meet
- Miller leads Blu-Jays at State track
- Pleasanton track hosts Three Rivers League meet
- Prairie View golf hosts Prairie View Invitational