Linn County News
Published Aug. 8, 2018
Kenneth Henne, 81, passed away Aug. 5, 2018, at Kansas City Hospice House after a courageous battle with cancer. He was born in Hume, Mo., on July 14, 1937, to Verl and Ruby (Wakefield) Henne. He graduated from Hume High School and briefly attended Pittsburg State University in Pittsburg, Kan.
He married Sharon Thompson in 1962 and to this union was born two sons, Ryan L. Henne and Brett T. Henne.
In 1965, Kenney purchased a commercial lawn and garden equipment company and established Henne Distributing Co. That company later included an ice plant and, after selling both of those products, became a used car lot specializing in work vans and pickup trucks.
Kenney and several other neighborhood fathers took their sons to Canada on fishing trips for several years and enjoyed many wonderful memories of those trips. He also coached his sons’ Little League basketball teams. His passion was antique cars, and he especially enjoyed going to car shows and swap meets. He and a good friend were among the early “pickers,” and they traveled through several states looking for antique car parts that they later sold at these swap meets. Kenney and Sharon enjoyed traveling. A highlight of those travels included locating and visiting the Henne ancestral home in Germany and meeting a cousin.
Kenney was preceded in death by his parents and by his son, Brett.
He is survived by his wife Sharon; his son, Ryan (Pauline); granddaughters Michaela Ann and Catherine Mae; a sister, Joy (Don) Flanner; many cousins; a nephew and niece; brother-in-law Raymond (Joyce) Thompson; and many, many friends.
A visitation will be held from 5-8 p.m. Wednesday, Aug. 8, 2018, at Mt. Moriah, Newcomer & Freeman Funeral Home, 10507 Holmes Road, Kansas City, Mo. Funeral services will take place at 11 a.m. at the funeral home on Thursday, Aug. 9.
In lieu of flowers, memorials may be made to Hume, Mo., Cemetery Association, c/o Security Bank, 9344 SW 2nd St., Hume, MO 64752; or Heifer Project International, 1 World Avenue, Little Rock, AR 72202.
Linn County News Published Feb. 20, 2019 Carol Jeanne Zimmerman, age 84 of Olathe, Kan., died Monday, Feb. 11, 2019, at her home. Carol was born April 16, 1934, in Blackwell, Okla. She was the fifth of seven children born to Holly and Anna Pauline (Becker)... [More]
Linn County News Published Feb. 13, 2019 Verl Ray Jones, born on March 22, 1929, in Pleasanton, Kan., passed away at the age of 89 on Oct. 22, 2018, in Lakewood, Colo. Verl is survived by his wife, Linda Jones; former wife, Shirley Leisure Jones; daughters... [More]
Linn County News Published Feb. 13, 2019 Romalea Miller, age 90, Pleasanton, Kan., passed away on Tuesday, Feb. 5, 2019, at The Residencies at Pleasanton. She was born on Aug. 17, 1928, in Miami County, Kan., the daughter of Glenn and Alice Mills Good.... [More]
- Mary Alice “Peggy” Garst 06-20-1925 to 01-18-2019
- Jane Elizabeth Downing 04-29-1947 to 01-01-2019
- Virginia Ruth Mitchell 04-29-1930 to 12-10-2018
- Daniel Ernest Hall 04-29-1973 to 09-08-2018
- Kelly James Brown 11-19-1982 to 07-18-2018
- Lillian Lois (Nye) Mosler 04-01-1915 to 07-05-2018
- Aline Fairchild 07-23-1916 to 06-01-2018
- Jack M. Jeserick 06-16-1930 to 05-28-2018
Concerned Citizens of Linn County held an informational meeting on Feb. 2 at the Centerville Community Center. Over 50 Linn County citizens and landowners joined opponents of a German-owned company’s planned wind farm development on this day to discuss the impact... [More]
Choices include semester-long English, auto tech Prairie View High juniors and seniors will have additional course options beginning next school year. As approved by the Unified School District 362 board of education at their monthly meeting Monday,... [More]
A Mound City man, Dennis J. Gentry, age 64, was fatally injured at 1:25 p.m. last Tuesday, Feb. 5, on U.S. Highway 169 near 355th Street in Miami County when, according to the Kansas Highway Patrol crash log, his 2002 Chevy Silverado was southbound on... [More]
- Parker leaders double Christmas toy donation
- Attempted abduction reported on fairgrounds
- Week at a Glance
- Sheriff supplying discs, cuts off CA access to server
- La Cygne mayor seeks U.S. Minerals appearance
- USD 362 board approves technology purchases
- Mound City holds open house
- Council action allows La Cygne sewer CCTV to proceed
The Jayhawk and Prairie View JV wrestling teams competed at the Burlington JV Invitational on Feb. 9. This was a very large tournament with 32 teams, and the tournament was divided into brackets according to weight class with four to five wrestlers in each bracket.... [More]
The Buffalo wrestling team competed in the Pioneer League tournament at Burlington on Feb. 9. The tournament was originally scheduled for Feb. 7 at Iola, but bad weather had the tournament rescheduled and relocated. The Buffalos placed fourth with... [More]
- Pleasanton places 7th in TRL tournament
- Alcorn, Snyder compete for the Buffalos at State
- Stone, Broyles, Dawson medal for Hawks at State Track Meet
- Miller leads Blu-Jays at State track
- Pleasanton track hosts Three Rivers League meet
- Prairie View golf hosts Prairie View Invitational
- Jayhawk baseball sweeps Pleasanton
- Pleasanton boys, girls win JV Iola Invitational