Linn County News
Published June 13, 2018
Russell D. Wier, age 73, La Cygne, Kan., passed away on Tuesday June 5, 2018, at his home. He was born on Dec. 5, 1944, in La Cygne, the son of Clarence Atwell and Wanda Pauline Merriman Wier. He graduated from La Cygne Rural High School in the Class of 1962.
He married Margaret Stoker. To this union, two children were born.
Russell was a painter during his working career.
He was a member of Our Lady of Lourdes Catholic Church and the Knights of Columbus. He served as a 4-H leader and was on the Linn County Fair Board. He enjoyed dogs (beagles, golden retrievers and coon hounds) and horses.
He was preceded in death by his parents.
Russell is survived by a son, Patrick Wier and Tracy, and a daughter, Heather Wier and Jeremy; a brother, Ron Wier and Judy; and three grandchildren, Trevor, Aubree and Daniesha.
Mass of Christian Burial was held on Friday, June 8, 2018, at Our Lady of Lourdes Catholic Church in La Cygne. Burial was in the Oak Lawn Cemetery.
The family suggests contributions to St. Joseph Indian School or Busy Workers 4-H. Online condolences can be left at www.schneiderfunerals.com.
Linn County News Published Aug. 15, 2018 Wanda Lou Sharp, age 72, Mound City, Kan., passed away on Sunday, Aug. 12, 2018, at her home. She was born on March 14, 1946, in St. Joseph, Mo., the daughter of Howard and Rowena Smith Sharp. Wanda enjoyed... [More]
Linn County News Published Aug. 15, 2018 Marjorie Stainbrook, age 86, La Cygne, Kan., passed away on Monday, Aug. 13, 2018. Funeral service will be 10 a.m. Saturday, Aug. 18, 2018, at the La Cygne United Methodist Church. Burial will be... [More]
Linn County News Published Aug. 8, 2018 Robert F. Bruce, 86, of Overland Park, Kan., went to be with his Lord on Aug. 4, 2018. Bob was the only son to Jessie (Brown) and Delbert Bruce, born Feb. 9, 1932, at their home in Mound City. Following his graduation from Mound City High... [More]
- Kelly James Brown 11-19-1982 to 07-18-2018
- Lillian Lois (Nye) Mosler 04-01-1915 to 07-05-2018
- Aline Fairchild 07-23-1916 to 06-01-2018
- Jack M. Jeserick 06-16-1930 to 05-28-2018
- Charley Aaron Wisdom 06-26-1943 to 05-30-2018
- Edmond Glenn Arnold 10-10-1919 to 05-30-2018
- Betty Dean 12-27-1927 to 05-31-2018
- William J. “Doc” Justus 07-05-1929 to 05-29-2018
On Aug. 14 Linn Valley Lakes issued a warning to all property owners on their Facebook page noting the possible presence of blue-green algae on the 5-acre lake at Linn Valley. The warning noted that jar tests of the water were being conducted by the city as instructed... [More]
Linn County Commissioners and the architect for the jail project study held a public meeting on Wednesday, Aug. 8, in the Linn County Courthouse Annex at Mound City to further discuss the project with members of the community. The meeting opened with Larry Goldberg... [More]
PleasantonUSD 344 District Superintendent Travis Laver notified the board during the meeting on Monday, Aug. 13, that the district had been approved for and had already received the security grant for which he had previously applied. The grant is a 50-50 match grant,... [More]
- Attempted abduction reported on fairgrounds
- Week at a Glance
- Sheriff supplying discs, cuts off CA access to server
- La Cygne mayor seeks U.S. Minerals appearance
- USD 362 board approves technology purchases
- Mound City holds open house
- Council action allows La Cygne sewer CCTV to proceed
- Going to the dogs: Rescue organization focuses on bigger picture
The Linn County Fair and Rodeo held the annual kid’s fishing derby on Saturday, Aug. 11, at Little Sugar Creek at the Linn County Fairgrounds. The event began at 8 a.m. with registration, and the derby itself began at about 8:30 a.m. The kids were allowed to... [More]
The Linn County Fair and Rodeo and Grandstand Attractions hosted the annual demolition derby on Aug. 3 and 4. The first night of the derby, Aug. 3, featured the team derby competition and the figure eight race. The second night, Aug. 4, was the traditional demo derby with bonestock,... [More]
- Alcorn, Snyder compete for the Buffalos at State
- Stone, Broyles, Dawson medal for Hawks at State Track Meet
- Miller leads Blu-Jays at State track
- Pleasanton track hosts Three Rivers League meet
- Prairie View golf hosts Prairie View Invitational
- Jayhawk baseball sweeps Pleasanton
- Pleasanton boys, girls win JV Iola Invitational
- Jayhawk golf places 1st in tournaments in West Franklin, Osawatomie