Linn County News
Published June 6, 2018
William J. “Doc” Justus, M.D., age 88, Pleasanton, Kan., passed away on Tuesday, May 29, 2018, at St. Luke’s South. He was born in Harveyville, Kan., on July 5, 1929, the son of John William and Lucille Rice Justus. He was raised most of his life by Grace and Cliff Turner.
He graduated from Emporia State University, University of Kansas School of Medicine and Baylor University.
He was married to Pam Schumacher. To this union one daughter, Kristen, was born.
He was a kind, generous and dedicated physician who practiced for over 50 years in Pleasanton. He volunteered to practice in the jungles of Nicaragua.
He developed Tanglewood Lakes, the first man-made lake development in Kansas.
He was a strong supporter of KU, dedicated Chiefs fan, loved his houseboat at the Lake of the Ozarks, skiing, traveling and Corvettes.
Doc was preceded in death by his parents; a brother, Ross; and three sisters, Helen Copeland, Carol Wyre and Vere Austin.
He is survived by his daughter Kristen Justus and her mother Pam, and a sister Leta King.
Funeral services were held on Saturday, June 2, 2018, at the Schneider Funeral Home and Crematory, Pleasanton Chapel. Burial was in the Pleasanton Cemetery.
The family suggests contributions to Doctors Without Borders or to Kansas University Medical Research, c/o Schneider Funeral Home, P.O. Box 525, Pleasanton, Kan. 66075. Online condolences for the family can be left at www.schneiderfunerals.com.
Spencer Ross Burris, 74, of Blue Mound, passed away on October 15, 2018 at his home. Arrangements are pending. Services are under the direction of Schneider Funeral Homes and Crematory, Mound City Chapel.
Linn County News Published Oct. 17, 2018 Cleda Fern Murray, 88, Pleasanton, Kan., passed away Friday, Oct. 12, 2018, at her home. She was born Nov. 17, 1929, at Pleasanton, the daughter of Walter and Annabell Ralph Umphenour. Cleda Fern graduated from Pleasanton... [More]
Linn County News Published Oct. 17, 2018 Steven Lynn “Pappa” Catron, age 64, Pleasanton, Kan., passed away on Monday, Oct. 8, 2018, at St. Luke’s on the Plaza. He was born on May 1, 1954, in Kansas City, Kan., the son of Carl Gene and Opal Venita... [More]
- Daniel Ernest Hall 04-29-1973 to 09-08-2018
- Kelly James Brown 11-19-1982 to 07-18-2018
- Lillian Lois (Nye) Mosler 04-01-1915 to 07-05-2018
- Aline Fairchild 07-23-1916 to 06-01-2018
- Jack M. Jeserick 06-16-1930 to 05-28-2018
- Charley Aaron Wisdom 06-26-1943 to 05-30-2018
- Edmond Glenn Arnold 10-10-1919 to 05-30-2018
- Betty Dean 12-27-1927 to 05-31-2018
With the sales tax question to finance the proposed Linn County Law Enforcement Center project on the ballot, the County Commissioners at their Monday meeting discussed that they are open to suggestions on where to locate the Linn County Health Department. The commissioners... [More]
Holiday fir to honor late Christmas decorator Parker is reaching fruition on a memorial Christmas tree for Heritage Park. The wait for new business district sidewalks, however, may continue. That was the consensus of its city council at last Thursday’s... [More]
The city of Mound City is sponsoring an informational meeting to educate the public on the Nov. 6 ballot issue concerning the vote for a sales tax to pay for the proposed Linn County Law Enforcement Center project. Mayor Mat Casner said the meeting is informational... [More]
- Attempted abduction reported on fairgrounds
- Week at a Glance
- Sheriff supplying discs, cuts off CA access to server
- La Cygne mayor seeks U.S. Minerals appearance
- USD 362 board approves technology purchases
- Mound City holds open house
- Council action allows La Cygne sewer CCTV to proceed
- Going to the dogs: Rescue organization focuses on bigger picture
BY TONY FURSE LINN COUNTY NEWS NEWSPAPERSRME@yahoo.com Couple Friday night’s 46-0 Pleasanton loss at St. Mary’s-Colgan with Yates Center’s 7-6 home slopfest win against Uniontown. What results is a must-win game for the Blu-Jays at 2-6 Yates... [More]
Yes, Prairie View junior Brooke Allen finished fifth at last Thursday’s Pioneer League cross country meet in a tune-up for this Saturday’s Class 3-A regional run. But it was her little sister and two other sixth-grade girls who may have provided the biggest... [More]
- Pleasanton places 7th in TRL tournament
- Alcorn, Snyder compete for the Buffalos at State
- Stone, Broyles, Dawson medal for Hawks at State Track Meet
- Miller leads Blu-Jays at State track
- Pleasanton track hosts Three Rivers League meet
- Prairie View golf hosts Prairie View Invitational
- Jayhawk baseball sweeps Pleasanton
- Pleasanton boys, girls win JV Iola Invitational