Linn County News
Published Jan. 9, 2019
Harold Eugene McWilliams, 89, of Urich, Mo., passed away Wednesday, Jan. 2, 2019, at Shawnee Mission Medical Center.
Funeral service will be 10:30 a.m. Saturday, Jan. 12, 2019 at Urich First Baptist Church, 502 N. Main St., Urich.
Gene was the oldest of six children, born to Harold and Elsie Wilson McWilliams. He was born June 6, 1929, in Beacon, Iowa, and later moved with his family to Kansas City. He was drafted and served in the United States Army during the Korean War where he served three years working as an equipment operator.
Eugene was united into marriage to Helen Ousley Peoples on June 6, 1960.They later bought a farm south of Louisburg. Gene worked for Leaseway Trucking for many years until they closed the business due to a flood. He worked until retirement for the Shawnee Mission School District in the parts department.
Gene and Helen traveled to Texas as winter Texans for many years, enjoying the RV life and their many friends. Gene and Helen returned to Urich just seven months ago to live with their children on the farm.
Gene enjoyed family get-togethers, playing cards with his family, gardening, using his many tools, collecting wood for the winter, family dinners together, as well as bluegrass music.
Gene came to believe in the Lord Jesus Christ gift of grace in his 70s. He currently worshipped at Urich First Baptist Church.
He is preceded in death by his parents; daughter Gayle Ann McWilliams; his brother, Jim McWilliams; and a sister, Beverly Davis.
Survivors include his wife Helen McWilliams of Urich; sons Howard McWilliams, Urich, Ed Peoples, Grandview, Mo., and Richard Peoples, Fort Scott; one daughter, Arlene Watrous, Pleasanton; and all their families.
The family suggests memorial contributions to the Urich First Baptist Church c/o Dengel & Son Mortuary Louisburg Chapel, P.O. Box 669, Louisburg, KS 66053.
To leave a special message for the family online, please visit www.dengelmortuary.com.
Arrangements: Dengel & Son Mortuary Louisburg Chapel, 120 S. Broadway, Louisburg, KS 66053.
Linn County News Published June 12, 2019 Ona Katherine “Katy” Holmes was born on April 5, 1934, to Marion and Anna Callahan in Deepwater, Mo. She and her twin sister, Ola May, were eight and nine of 10 children. Katy married Robert “Bob”... [More]
Linn County News Published June 5, 2019 Maxine Y. Johnson, age 77, Pleasanton, Kan., passed away on Friday, May 31, 2019, at The Residencies at Pleasanton. She was born on Sept. 5, 1941, in Fort Scott, Kan., the daughter of William Corwin and Josephine McGlathery... [More]
Linn County News Published June 5, 2019 Marvin Lee Teeter of Enid, Okla., passed away on May 24, 2019, surrounded by his loving family. Marvin was born on March 30, 1942, in Blue Mound, Kan., to Lewis and Ester (Scott) Teeter. Marvin married the love of his life,... [More]
- Paula Felix McClintock 03-10-1958 to 06-20-2019
- Bryan Lee Callahan 09-05-1957 to 03-18-2019
- Mary Alice “Peggy” Garst 06-20-1925 to 01-18-2019
- Jane Elizabeth Downing 04-29-1947 to 01-01-2019
- Virginia Ruth Mitchell 04-29-1930 to 12-10-2018
- Daniel Ernest Hall 04-29-1973 to 09-08-2018
- Kelly James Brown 11-19-1982 to 07-18-2018
- Lillian Lois (Nye) Mosler 04-01-1915 to 07-05-2018
La Cygne’s City Council has given the green light for pursuing the next steps toward a wastewater system rehabilitation/replacement project. A meeting of city representatives and their contracted engineering firm with the United States Department of Agriculture... [More]
The County Commissioners held a long meeting Monday morning that dealt mainly with department budgets and approving a resolution to allow the architect to proceed with bidding for the Linn County Law Enforcement and Judicial Center. Budgets began with Sheriff Paul... [More]
Carrying a stack of previous Linn County Law Enforcement and Judicial Center and Government Administration Center drawings for new District 2 Commissioner Danny McCullough, Goldberg Group Architects (GGA) president Larry Goldberg said he’d blocked... [More]
- Francis Dean Pratt 07-01-1929 to 06-19-2019
- Steven Louis Finley 05-24-1966 to 06-15-2019
- Isabel Marie Read 10-07-1917 to 06-17-2019
- Wanda Sheppard 06-10-1926 to 01-08-2019
- Jack Edward Scott 01-22-1925 to 06-10-2019
- Lloyd Eugene “Gene” Dixon 10-31-1938 to 06-11-2019
- John R. Markley, DVM 04-23-1934 to 05-22-2019
- Bobby J. Wurtz 02-01-1936 to 05-14-2019
The All State baseball and softball teams as chosen by the coaches have recently come out and three local players have made the teams. Senior Gavin Cullor of Prairie View made the All State second team as an outfielder. Cullor also made Pioneer All League... [More]
The summer baseball and softball leagues in Linn County are in full swing and soon the end of the season tournaments will begin. This article will tell when these tournaments are, where they are at, and who could compete in them, although... [More]
- A day to remember: Lady Buff seniors help sweep Oz in home finale
- Pleasanton baseball falls to Northeast; softball gets first wins of season
- Pleasanton places 7th in TRL tournament
- Alcorn, Snyder compete for the Buffalos at State
- Stone, Broyles, Dawson medal for Hawks at State Track Meet
- Miller leads Blu-Jays at State track
- Pleasanton track hosts Three Rivers League meet
- Prairie View golf hosts Prairie View Invitational