Linn County News
Published Oct. 11, 2017
Jane Evelyn (Hayden) Kelley, age 88 of Mound City, Kan., died Tuesday, Sept.19, 2017, at Prescott Country View Nursing Home in Prescott, Kan. She was born Nov. 2, 1928, to Augustus William Hayden and Victoria Friedel (Hinkle) Hayden in Los Angeles, Calif., the middle of three sisters.
Her family home was a half block from the beach at Santa Monica. She grew up with a love of the ocean and learned to swim at an early age.
She met her future husband, Don Kelley, on a blind date at a beach party on Malibu Beach in 1946. In July 1947 she accepted his marriage proposal and in February of 1948 she rode a train to New Orleans and they were married the next day in Biloxi, Miss., where Don was stationed with the U.S. Air Force. They went on to have two daughters and the family traveled extensively during his 21-year Air Force career.
Don and Jane settled in Mound City in 1975. While living in Mound City, Jane was employed as both Extension Office and Linn County Fair secretary. The highlight of her employment as fair secretary was meeting Garth Brooks.
She was a longtime member of Mound City United Methodist Church and she loved dancing with the Country Ramblers Square Dance Club. Before her health began to deteriorate, she was active in the Eastern Star, holding a Grand Office in 1995.
Jane will be remembered for her kind heart and sweet demeanor. She took great pride in her family members’ accomplishments, especially Don’s military achievements. She was extremely proud of her grandchildren and great-grandchildren, always ready with a picture to share.
Jane is survived by Don, her husband of 69 years, Mound City; daughters Linda Friedman (Bill Peters), Mapleton, and Donna Parker (Rick), Mound City; four grandchildren; and five great-grandchildren. She is also survived by several brothers and sisters-in-law as well as many nieces and nephews, all of whom she loved dearly.
She was preceded in death by her parents and sisters, son-in-law Wes Friedman and great-granddaughter Kelley Tupin.
A memorial service will be held at 11 a.m. Tuesday, Oct. 17, at Mound City United Methodist Church. Visitation will be held 10 a.m. to service time. Memorial contributions may be made to the church.
Linn County News Published June 20, 2018 Leslie Eugene Andres, age 67, passed away June 13, 2018, at his home near Pleasanton, Kan. Gene was born on March 15, 1951, in Iola, Kan., to Lyle Andres and Virginia Stokes Andres. Gene graduated from the... [More]
Linn County News Published June 20, 2018 Charles Eugene Franklin, age 79, Hume, Mo., passed away on Wednesday, June 13, 2018. Funeral service was held Saturday, June 16, 2018, at the Hume Christian Church. Burial was in the Hume Cemetery. The... [More]
Linn County News Published June 20, 2018 Leslie Ann Nation, age 20, Mound City, Kan., died Wednesday, June 13, 2018, at the University of Kansas Medical Center. She was born in Overland Park, Kan., on June 21, 1997, the daughter of David and Tracie (West)... [More]
- Aline Fairchild 07-23-1916 to 06-01-2018
- Jack M. Jeserick 06-16-1930 to 05-28-2018
- Charley Aaron Wisdom 06-26-1943 to 05-30-2018
- Edmond Glenn Arnold 10-10-1919 to 05-30-2018
- Betty Dean 12-27-1927 to 05-31-2018
- William J. “Doc” Justus 07-05-1929 to 05-29-2018
- Evelyn Maxine Ham 04-08-1924 to 06-03-2018
- Lester V. McCoy 10-12-1942 to 05-30-2018
BY TONY FURSE LINN COUNTY NEWS NEWSPAPERSRME@YAHOO.COM Midday busing will be offered to Prairie View Unified School District 362 preschoolers for this upcoming school year. On a 5-1 vote, with Chuck Dunlop dissenting and Nicolas Philpott absent, the... [More]
A consolidated afternoon preliminary hearing has been set for a former Linn County sheriff’s deputy and Pleasanton school resource officer. The two cases filed against David Allen Huggins, La Cygne, will be heard at 1:30 p.m. July 17 in Linn County District Court. To... [More]
Two gatherings were held on Monday, June 18, in Mound City to garner community and elected officials’ thoughts on the feasibility of building a new jail complex. After hearing from the Linn County District Court staff and elected officials, the County Commissioners... [More]
- Week at a Glance
- Sheriff supplying discs, cuts off CA access to server
- La Cygne mayor seeks U.S. Minerals appearance
- USD 362 board approves technology purchases
- Mound City holds open house
- Council action allows La Cygne sewer CCTV to proceed
- Going to the dogs: Rescue organization focuses on bigger picture
- Linn Valley – patrolling U.S. 69 nets high percentage of drug arrests
School is out and summer is heating up so it is a good time for the family to enjoy some fishing. Here are some current fishing reports from various bodies of water in Linn County to help one decide where to fish. All fishing reports were posted on June 1. To see the full article,... [More]
The Pleasanton/Jayhawk trapshooting team traveled to Wichita on June 16 to compete in the 2018 Kansas State High School Clay Target League State Championship. Pleasanton/Jayhawk had 16 shooters compete in the event that included 50 teams and more than 1,000 shooters. To see... [More]
- Alcorn, Snyder compete for the Buffalos at State
- Stone, Broyles, Dawson medal for Hawks at State Track Meet
- Miller leads Blu-Jays at State track
- Pleasanton track hosts Three Rivers League meet
- Prairie View golf hosts Prairie View Invitational
- Jayhawk baseball sweeps Pleasanton
- Pleasanton boys, girls win JV Iola Invitational
- Jayhawk golf places 1st in tournaments in West Franklin, Osawatomie