Linn County News
Published Jan. 10, 2018
Joyce Louella Lavin of Youngtown, Ariz., passed away on Jan. 4, 2018, after fighting a battle with cancer at the age of 68. Joyce was born on March 6, 1949, in St. Joseph, Mo., to Joseph Aubrian Brown and Mary Elaine Mattucks. Joyce grew up in Festus, Mo., and later moved to Arizona at the age of 14. Joyce had nine siblings, six of which she grew up with. Joyce spent the balance of her adult life in Arizona.
In April of 1966, Joyce met the love of her life Joe, and in August of that same year Joe and Joyce married.
Joyce had many jobs in her life including: being the best mom ever, babysitting, house cleaning and baking, and working as a bus assistant.
Joyce had many hobbies in her life she enjoyed such as sewing, crocheting, antiquing, quilting, reading and baking. Joyce and Joe traveled all over the U.S., meeting and enjoying new faces and personalities during the summer times, with Branson, Mo., being their favorite place to go and where they spent most of their summers meeting up with many friends and family members.
Joyce and Joe were active in the community as members of the Lions Club, Good Sam Club, Youngtown R.V. Club, and Friends of Peoria Libraries. Joyce was family-oriented and loved to spend free time with her family as well as very close friends.
Survivors include her husband of 51 years, Joseph J. Lavin; four daughters, Roxanne Hosino, Patricia Molyneux, Wanda Oakley and Theresa Conigliaro; nine grandchildren, Richard Gourley, Nichole Reyna, David (Jordyan Lapp-Rodriguez) and Destiny Molyneux, Alan Lavin-Oakley, CarriAnn and Abraham Oakley, and Charles and Matthew Conigliaro; and five great-grandchildren, Layla Appel, Faith, Gabriel, Marcelo Reyna and Kanon Smith.
Joyce was a remarkable woman and will be missed by so many! Goodnight!
A Celebration of Life will be held from 4-7 p.m. Wednesday, Jan. 10, 2018, at Heritage Funeral Chapel at 6830 W. Thunderbird Road, Peoria, Ariz. 85381.
Linn County News Published June 20, 2018 Leslie Eugene Andres, age 67, passed away June 13, 2018, at his home near Pleasanton, Kan. Gene was born on March 15, 1951, in Iola, Kan., to Lyle Andres and Virginia Stokes Andres. Gene graduated from the... [More]
Linn County News Published June 20, 2018 Charles Eugene Franklin, age 79, Hume, Mo., passed away on Wednesday, June 13, 2018. Funeral service was held Saturday, June 16, 2018, at the Hume Christian Church. Burial was in the Hume Cemetery. The... [More]
Linn County News Published June 20, 2018 Leslie Ann Nation, age 20, Mound City, Kan., died Wednesday, June 13, 2018, at the University of Kansas Medical Center. She was born in Overland Park, Kan., on June 21, 1997, the daughter of David and Tracie (West)... [More]
- Aline Fairchild 07-23-1916 to 06-01-2018
- Jack M. Jeserick 06-16-1930 to 05-28-2018
- Charley Aaron Wisdom 06-26-1943 to 05-30-2018
- Edmond Glenn Arnold 10-10-1919 to 05-30-2018
- Betty Dean 12-27-1927 to 05-31-2018
- William J. “Doc” Justus 07-05-1929 to 05-29-2018
- Evelyn Maxine Ham 04-08-1924 to 06-03-2018
- Lester V. McCoy 10-12-1942 to 05-30-2018
BY TONY FURSE LINN COUNTY NEWS NEWSPAPERSRME@YAHOO.COM Midday busing will be offered to Prairie View Unified School District 362 preschoolers for this upcoming school year. On a 5-1 vote, with Chuck Dunlop dissenting and Nicolas Philpott absent, the... [More]
A consolidated afternoon preliminary hearing has been set for a former Linn County sheriff’s deputy and Pleasanton school resource officer. The two cases filed against David Allen Huggins, La Cygne, will be heard at 1:30 p.m. July 17 in Linn County District Court. To... [More]
Two gatherings were held on Monday, June 18, in Mound City to garner community and elected officials’ thoughts on the feasibility of building a new jail complex. After hearing from the Linn County District Court staff and elected officials, the County Commissioners... [More]
- Week at a Glance
- Sheriff supplying discs, cuts off CA access to server
- La Cygne mayor seeks U.S. Minerals appearance
- USD 362 board approves technology purchases
- Mound City holds open house
- Council action allows La Cygne sewer CCTV to proceed
- Going to the dogs: Rescue organization focuses on bigger picture
- Linn Valley – patrolling U.S. 69 nets high percentage of drug arrests
School is out and summer is heating up so it is a good time for the family to enjoy some fishing. Here are some current fishing reports from various bodies of water in Linn County to help one decide where to fish. All fishing reports were posted on June 1. To see the full article,... [More]
The Pleasanton/Jayhawk trapshooting team traveled to Wichita on June 16 to compete in the 2018 Kansas State High School Clay Target League State Championship. Pleasanton/Jayhawk had 16 shooters compete in the event that included 50 teams and more than 1,000 shooters. To see... [More]
- Alcorn, Snyder compete for the Buffalos at State
- Stone, Broyles, Dawson medal for Hawks at State Track Meet
- Miller leads Blu-Jays at State track
- Pleasanton track hosts Three Rivers League meet
- Prairie View golf hosts Prairie View Invitational
- Jayhawk baseball sweeps Pleasanton
- Pleasanton boys, girls win JV Iola Invitational
- Jayhawk golf places 1st in tournaments in West Franklin, Osawatomie