Linn County News
Published Feb. 7, 2018
Mildred Katie Bortzfield, age 86, formerly of Pleasanton, Kan., died Sunday, Feb. 4, 2018, at Pinnacle Ridge Nursing and Rehabilitation, Olathe, Kan. She was born on Oct. 26, 1931, in Fulton, Kan., the daughter of Robert and Hazel Wurtz Clendening.
She married LeRoy Bortzfield on June 8, 1949, in Salt Lake City, Utah. He preceded her in death on Dec. 31, 1986.
She later married Curtis Owenby on Aug. 31, 1988. He preceded her in death on Nov. 15, 2016.
Katie worked in her early years for the telephone company. She later worked for Braemoor coat factory in Pleasanton. She then worked for Western Insurance Co. in Fort Scott, Kan., until her retirement.
She was an avid hunter and fisherman. She also enjoyed bowling and attending Pickers and Fiddlers.
She was a member of the West Liberty United Methodist Church.
Survivors include a daughter, Vickie Zugelder, Kansas City, Mo.; a son, Rick Bortzfield and wife Robin, Pleasanton; five grandchildren, Chris Zugelder, Riki Barr, Eric Zugelder, Rylan Bortzfield, and Griffin Bortzfield; four great grandchildren, Nicolas, Mackenzie, Alyssa and Zander; a sister, Elenora Courtois, Pleasanton; and numerous nieces and nephews.
Besides both husbands, she was preceded in death by four brothers, Bill, Cecil, Frank and John Clendening; two sisters, Dorothy Nichols and Rosemary Ward; and her parents.
Pastor Tom Mullins will conduct funeral services at 2:30 p.m. Thursday, Feb. 8, at the Cheney Witt Chapel, Fort Scott. Burial will follow in the West Liberty Cemetery. The family will receive friends from 1:30 until service time at the Cheney Witt Chapel.
Memorials are suggested to Good Shepherd Hospice and may be left in care of the Cheney Witt Chapel, PO Box 347, 201 S. Main, Fort Scott, KS 66701. Words of remembrance may be submitted to the online guestbook at cheneywitt.com.
Linn County News Published May 2, 2018 Thomas Saviano, age 61, of Linn Valley, Kan., passed away on Sunday, April 22, 2018. No services are currently planned. Arrangements by Schneider Funeral Home, La Cygne Chapel.
Linn County News Published May 2, 2018 Donald Eugene “Don” Wagner, age 84, La Cygne, Kan., passed away on Friday, April 27, 2018, at his home. He was born at Beloit, Kan., the son of Hamer and Velma English Wagner. He graduated from Simpson High School. Don proudly... [More]
Known as Dee, she was born in Ridgeway, Mo., April 28, 1938, to Dorothy and Jasper Simpson. They moved to California then back to Kansas City, Kan., in 1942 when her father took a position with North American Aviation. Her father retired from the Kansas City Kansas Board... [More]
- Elizabeth W. Kopper 11-21-1919 to 05-06-2018
- Pansy Staton 02-03-1934 to 05-10-2018
- Kevin Lee Dale 03-03-1960 to 05-06-2018
- Glenn Allen Riley 05-31-1936 to 05-05-2018
- Betty M. Ray 05-28-1924 to 05-02-2018
- Paul Francis Kurtz 08-07-1930 to 12-28-2016
- Shirley Ann White
- Loren LeRoy Miller 10-13-1938 to 07-17-2016
Pleasanton Elementary Principal Dave Thomas announced Monday night at the USD 344 Board of Education meeting that fifth and sixth grades will begin a new compartmentalized school model in the 2018-2019 academic year. To see the full article, check out this week's edition of... [More]
A business - which began with a room full of dissenting neighbors when they were present to hear a conditional use permit issued to Kevin Luetjen dated April 18, 2016 to operate a rock quarry/logging and mulching operation at Snowhill Rock of Pleasanton - lasted a year before... [More]
Bob Guilfoyle and Craig Wilbert, representatives of Craw-Kan Telephone Cooperative, appeared before the Pleasanton City Council at their meeting on Monday, May 7, to brief the city on their upcoming fiber optic installation project in Pleasanton. Wilbert told the council the... [More]
- USD 362 board approves technology purchases
- Mound City holds open house
- Council action allows La Cygne sewer CCTV to proceed
- Going to the dogs: Rescue organization focuses on bigger picture
- Linn Valley – patrolling U.S. 69 nets high percentage of drug arrests
- SD 362 considers appeal of La Cygne zoning-change denial
- La Cygne to seek bids for sewer CCTV scope
- Seamless start for PES first day
The Jayhawk golf team hosted their home golf invitational on April 26 at Sugar Valley golf course. The Hawks continue to have a great season and won their home tournament with a score of 356. The Hawks were followed by Southern Lyon County, 372, Burlington, 392, West Franklin,... [More]
The Pleasanton baseball and softball teams continued to grow as a team and as a program this past week as they faced league foes Crest and Chetopa. Both the baseball and softball teams traveled to Crest on April 23 to face the Lancers. The boys split against Crest, winning the... [More]
- Pleasanton track hosts Three Rivers League meet
- Prairie View golf hosts Prairie View Invitational
- Jayhawk baseball sweeps Pleasanton
- Pleasanton boys, girls win JV Iola Invitational
- Jayhawk golf places 1st in tournaments in West Franklin, Osawatomie
- Pitch count basics contribute to Buff routs
- Mound City, Pleasanton are winners in this past weekend’s baseball tournaments
- KSHSAA classification changes coming in 2018-2019