Paul Francis Kurtz, age 86, passed away on Wednesday, Dec. 28, 2016. He was born on Aug. 7, 1930, at Lawrence, Kan., the son of Roy and Bessie Burnell Kurtz.
He graduated from Eudora High School. He served his country in the United States Army during the Korean War.
Paul married Lydia Jo New on Aug. 6, 1955, at Lawrence, Kan. She preceded him in death on Oct. 2, 1996.
He was a member of the Hesper Community Church and the American Legion. He was an avid sports fan and enjoyed fishing. The Royals, Chiefs and KU basketball were his teams.
Also preceding him in death were, a daughter, Brenda Stevens; two brothers, LeRoy and Oliver Kurtz; and two sisters, Norma Stanley and Eva Kurtz.
Paul is survived by a daughter, Marsha Brown and husband Morgan; a sister, Geneveve Luther; five grandchildren, Tyler Brown and wife Amanda, Ryan Brown and wife Shelby, Jennifer Shaw, Crystal Stevens and Gina Faulkner; and 14 great-grandchildren.
Funeral service was held Monday, Jan. 2, 2017, at the Schneider Funeral Home and Crematory, Pleasanton Chapel. Burial was in the Pleasanton Cemetery. Contributions are suggested to the American Heart or American Lung Association. Online condolences for the family may be left at www.schneiderfunerals.com. Arrangements: Schneider Funeral Home and Crematory Pleasanton Chapel.
Linn County News Published Dec. 12, 2018 John Kauffman, age 92, of Grand Junction, Colo., formerly of Pleasanton, Kan., passed away at his home in Grand Junction on Monday, Dec. 10, 2018. Services are pending at this time with Schneider Funeral Home and Crematory, Pleasanton... [More]
Linn County News Published Dec. 12, 2018 Ray Wurtz, 86, of Lakeland, Fla., entered into eternal peace with the Lord, at his home, with all of his family by his side on Nov. 29, 2018. Ray was of the Pentecostal faith. He was the son of Benjamin and Viola Wurtz of Pleasanton, Kan.... [More]
Linn County News Published Dec. 12, 2018 John Harold Rieder, 103, of Pleasanton, Kan., passed away Dec. 6, 2018. John Harold was born on July 29, 1915, in Rosedale, Kan., at 4408 Mission Road in Wyandotte County. His parents, Gottlieb Rieder and Emma Suter, were born in Switzerland.... [More]
- Virginia Ruth Mitchell 04-29-1930 to 12-10-2018
- Daniel Ernest Hall 04-29-1973 to 09-08-2018
- Kelly James Brown 11-19-1982 to 07-18-2018
- Lillian Lois (Nye) Mosler 04-01-1915 to 07-05-2018
- Aline Fairchild 07-23-1916 to 06-01-2018
- Jack M. Jeserick 06-16-1930 to 05-28-2018
- Charley Aaron Wisdom 06-26-1943 to 05-30-2018
- Edmond Glenn Arnold 10-10-1919 to 05-30-2018
With Chairman Grant Goodison leading the Mound City Planning and Zoning Commission last Tuesday night, Dec. 4, four new members took their seats on the board, including Lorna Turley, Paul Myers, Al Hurt and Beverly Read. As part of their yearly housekeeping duties, the board... [More]
The house formerly at the southeast corner of Market Street and Industrial Road is gone. In the aftermath, La Cygne leaders now face decisions on the lot’s near-term cleanup and future use. Joe Turpen, Lincoln-Scott Township Medical Board president, appeared at the regular... [More]
The trademark blue decorated locomotive that took President George H.W. Bush to his final resting place was a plan in the making for many years. The locomotive was actually unveiled by Union Pacific in 2005. Www.omaha.com reported, “Scott Moore, a senior vice president... [More]
- Parker leaders double Christmas toy donation
- Attempted abduction reported on fairgrounds
- Week at a Glance
- Sheriff supplying discs, cuts off CA access to server
- La Cygne mayor seeks U.S. Minerals appearance
- USD 362 board approves technology purchases
- Mound City holds open house
- Council action allows La Cygne sewer CCTV to proceed
Pleasanton hosted the Linn County Tournament on Dec. 4, 6 and 7, and it did not lack any excitement, especially from the boys’ side of the tournament. There were four teams in the tournament: Pleasanton, Jayhawk-Linn, Prairie View and Osawatomie. Jayhawk went 0-3 in the... [More]
It has not happened very often and it has not happened in 21 years, but the Lady Jays’ basketball team won the 2018 Linn County Tournament. The tournament was hosted by Pleasanton this year and held on Dec. 4, 6 and 7. The Lady Jays made their way to the championship by... [More]
- Pleasanton places 7th in TRL tournament
- Alcorn, Snyder compete for the Buffalos at State
- Stone, Broyles, Dawson medal for Hawks at State Track Meet
- Miller leads Blu-Jays at State track
- Pleasanton track hosts Three Rivers League meet
- Prairie View golf hosts Prairie View Invitational
- Jayhawk baseball sweeps Pleasanton
- Pleasanton boys, girls win JV Iola Invitational