Linn County News
Published Nov. 18, 2020
Barbara Jean Stewart, 94, of Fort Scott, formerly of Xenia, Kan., passed away Tuesday evening, Nov. 10, 2020, at her home. She was born May 30, 1926, in Topeka, Kan., the daughter of Guy Russell and Agnes Sarah (Davis) Boyd. She married Myron Leslie Stewart on Dec. 8, 1945, in Osawatomie, Kan., and he preceded her in death Sept. 1, 1996.
Barbara graduated from high school in Blue Mound, Kan. After marrying Myron, she spent many happy years as a farm wife. Barbara was also an avid Bingo player, gaining many close friends.
Barbara is survived by her three children, Robert Stewart and wife Karen of Fulton, Kan., Jeanette Church and her husband Robert of Xenia, and Carol Didier and her husband Tom of Wheatland, Mo.; 11 grandchildren; 20 great grandchildren; seven great, great grandchildren; and many nieces, nephews and family members. In addition to her husband Myron, she was also preceded in death by her parents; a brother, Guy Boyd Jr.; a sister, Reta Maxine Allenbrand; a grandson; and a great granddaughter.
Rev. Chuck Russell conducted graveside services Friday, Nov. 13, 2020, at the Bronson Cemetery in Bronson, Kan., under the direction of the Konantz-Cheney Funeral Home. There was a dinner and a Celebration of Life following the graveside service at the Blue Mound High School.
Because of Barbara’s love to feed and take care of people, please donate to your local food bank. Contributions may be left in the care of the Konantz-Cheney Funeral Home, 15 W. Wall St., P.O. Box 309, Fort Scott, KS 66701. Condolences may be submitted to the online guestbook at konantz-cheney.com.
Linn County News Published Dec. 9, 2020 David Mitchell DeMayo, 59, of Centerville, Kan., passed away peacefully at his home on Tuesday, Nov. 24, 2020. David was born on May 2, 1961, to Victor R. and Freda (Lee) DeMayo at St. Joseph Hospital in Kansas... [More]
Linn County News Published Dec. 2, 2020 Rubie Mae Blackman Scott, age 91, Mound City, Kan., passed away Nov. 29, 2020. She was born Feb. 6, 1929, to Zenas Andrew and Sylvia Estilla Bruce Blackman in Pleasanton, Kan. She attended all 12 years of school in the Pleasanton schools,... [More]
Linn County News Published Dec. 2, 2020 Phyllis Lorraine Halverson Green, age 77, Mound City, Kan., passed away Wednesday, Nov. 25, 2020. She was born on March 22, 1943, in Marshalltown, Iowa, the daughter of Howard and Iva Kiser Halverson. She was united in marriage to Robert... [More]
- Thomas Franklin “T.F.” Edmonds 01-14-1928 to 11-06-2020
- Vernon LeRoy “Roy” Massey 02-09-1922 to 10-07-2020
- Margaret Eileen Wier 02-15-1943 to 09-21-2020
- Elynor Ann Miller 08-28-1924 to 08-02-2020
- James J. Shannon Robinson 03-29-1980 to 08-01-2020
- Charles William “Bill” Atwood Jr. 05-31-1927 to 07-29-2020
- Verna Louise Bright 09-06-1935 to 07-30-2020
- Adelaide Helen Greene 10-22-1942 to 07-28-2020
The USD 344 Board of Education met for a special meeting on Monday, Nov. 30, to discuss the order set forth on Nov. 9 that placed all junior high and high school students on remote learning as a precaution beginning Monday, Nov. 16. Prior to the meeting, Superintendent Travis... [More]
On Monday, Nov. 30, Linn County Sheriff Kevin Friend asked commissioners for permission to order a voice-over IP dispatch console system that will provide a major upgrade to the Linn County Sheriff’s Communication Division. “The last several months I’ve been... [More]
A special meeting of the Linn Valley City Council concerning the city’s upcoming sewer improvements project was held via webinar on Monday, Nov. 23, 2020. The online meeting was opened by Mayor Cindy Smith at 7 p.m. with all council members present, as well as City Attorney... [More]
- Christmas in Linn County
- Wreck leaves local attorney injured
- Commissioners opt to leave mask decision to school boards
- USD 362 sets new bond election date
- Cattle industry feeling the impact of COVID-19
- LC Sheriff’s Office joins Crimes Against Children Task Force
- Boicourt Bridge boat ramp closed – but state looks to replace it
- Property taxes still due in May
The 2020 high school football season is over and once again it is time for the All Linn County football team. All three teams competed and played hard this season but some had more success than others. Prairie View was once again a very good football team as they finished... [More]
The 2020 high school cross country season is over and all three local high schools, Jayhawk-Linn, Pleasanton and Prairie View, competed hard all season. There were a few runners that stood out though and this article will take a closer look at some of those runners. Gavin... [More]
- Prairie View football has multiple players on the All Pioneer League team
- Prairie View football starts playoffs strong with dominant win over Caney Valley
- Jayhawk football falls to West Franklin
- Pleasanton football falls to Olpe
- Pleasanton football falls in close game to Uniontown on Homecoming
- 2020 Linn County Fair and Rodeo queen candidates
- This week in baseball history: June 24-30
- Several local boys’ baseball players compete on USSSA Rage teams out of Garnett