Linn County News
Published May 24, 2023
Gene Raymond Mitchell, 84 years, passed away on November 24, 2022 in his home Grand Rapids, Mich. He was born in Kansas City, Kan., the third child of Otto and Ruby Mitchell.
Preceded in death by his parents and brother, Delbert and two beloved wives, Wilma Sage and Lynn Young, and by a long-term friend, Nel Kastner. He is survived by his brother, Richard (Juanita); and his children: Tim (Juana) Mitchell, Paul (Kimberlee) Mitchell and Deanna (Gary Rich) Mitchell; as well as grandchildren: Kelsey (Josh) Cousar, Errin Mitchell, Shelby Mitchell, Ryan Mitchell, Tyler (Courtney) Mitchell, Maria (Austin) Voydanoff, Lindsay Rich (Mike Andrews); and great-grandchildren: Caroline and Poppy Cousar. He also loved Lynn’s children and grandchildren.
Gene worked as an engineer, a restaurant owner, and an electrical journeyman. He was a devoted, steady, loving husband, father, and grandpa. He cared for two wives through prolonged battles with cancer. He could be counted on in every phase of life and made sacrifices for others. He grew up and lived in Kansas, and he retired in Michigan. He was our best soccer fan and could fix anything. He had a funny colloquialism for every situation. He was a loyal fan of the Detroit Tigers, University of Kansas basketball, and KC Chiefs.
A visitation was held at Zaagman Memorial Chapel on Wednesday, Nov. 30, from 5 -8 p.m.
Graveside service will be held at 11 a.m., Saturday, May 27, 2023, at the Pleasanton Cemetery. A reception will follow at 11:30 a.m. at the Pleasanton Community Center.
Memorial contributions are suggested to the Helen DeVos Children’s Hospital/We Do Care patient assistance fund care of HDVCH Foundation, MC 004, 100 Michigan NE, Grand Rapids, MI 49503.
Linn County News Published September 20, 2023 Daniel Glen Needham took the long way home on Sept. 6, 2023, after fighting a long battle against cancer. We are sure he had to stop along the way and check out all the new fishing holes and visit with everyone he met... [More]
Linn County News Published September 20, 2023 Phyllis Irene Best, age 75, Grain Valley, Mo., passed away Thursday, Sept. 14, 2023. A graveside funeral service will be held 11 a.m. Wednesday, Sept. 20, 2023, at the Curry Cemetery. Visitation will be... [More]
Linn County News Published September 20, 2023 Jean Frances Patterson (nee Ward) 86, of St. Louis, Mo., passed away Monday Sept. 11, 2023 in Mercy Hospital. She was a resident of St. Louis for 60 years but remained loyal to her native Kansas where she was born... [More]
- Roland Jerome “Jerry” Rowe ~ 01-18-1928 to 09-12-2023
- Cammie Lee Hines ~ 06-19-1962 to 09-03-2023
- Helen Yvonne Bruce ~ 08-16-1930 to 09-07-2023
- Delbert Alan Cannon ~ 01-28-1958 to 09-09-2023
- Wayne Barber Ellis ~ 06-20-1944 to 09-07-2023
- Mary Dolores Warta ~ 02-03-1929 to 09-08-2023
- Parker Mae Perkins ~ 08-25-2023
- Robert Zane Hayes ~ 06-26-1960 to 08-23-2023
Letter from KDWP discussed during meeting During the public comment segment of the commissioner’s weekly meeting on Monday, several people in the audience again spoke regarding the current zoning regulations for commercial solar farms. Public comment... [More]
Move solves one of three financial issues Monday night’s Unified School District 362 approval at a special meeting of the sale of a vocational-education construction house in La Cygne has solved what appeared to be an impending financial concern. However, two... [More]
Approved pair will buy skid steer, delete proposed RV permit registration Two items thoroughly debated and tabled after a Sept. 6 regular meeting have now been passed by La Cygne city leaders. At their regular meeting last Wednesday, Sept. 20, the council cast a... [More]
- Commercial solar panels top Planning and Zoning Commission meeting
- Commissioners put attorney on retainer for solar matters
- Parker to use ARPA funds for cam installment
- Boil Water Advisory Issued for City of Pleasanton, Linn County
- County to seek Queens Road sloughing solutions
- Desludging award headlines La Cygne actions
- Armed suicidal subject, shots fired
- County 2024 budget to stay revenue neutral
The Prairie View football team hosted Burlington on Sept. 22 for their Homecoming game. Homecoming is so much better with a win and the Buffalos provided that as they fought their way to a 44-19 victory. One of the things that won this game for the Buffalos were big runs by... [More]
The Pleasanton cross country team traveled to Prairie View to compete in the Humboldt Invitational on Sept. 19 and then the Ramsey Invitational at Prairie View on Sept. 21. Both junior high and high school runners competed for the Jays at the Humboldt Invitational. Kei-Mahni... [More]
- Jayhawk Linn routs Uniontown in home opener
- Pleasanton volleyball has a busy week
- Prairie View cross country performs well at Wellsville
- Pleasanton football routs Northeast Arma
- Big Buffalo rally falls just short
- Jayhawk football dominates first two games
- Jays survive typical first game hiccups
- Prairie View football falls to Parsons to open the season
• May be mailed, e-mailed, faxed or hand delivered.
• Must be received by 9 a.m. on Tuesday morning in order to appear in that week's edition.
• Obituaries submitted by funeral homes will be billed to the funeral home.
• Full obituaries submitted by individuals are required to be paid in advance.
• Cost: $40 for 300 words or less. Each additional word over 300, 10¢. Photograph $5.
Call Barbara at 913-352-6235 or e-mail email@example.com