George Henry Kitchell
09-17-1928 to 01-02-2020
Linn County News
Published Jan. 8, 2020
George Henry Kitchell, age 91, La Cygne, Kan., passed away on Thursday, Jan. 2, 2020. He was born on Sept. 17, 1928, in Sherman Township, Leavenworth County, Kan., the son of Henry and Daisy Spence Kitchell. He graduated from Linwood High School in the Class of 1946.
On Sept. 17, 1954, he was united in marriage to Carol Doan. She preceded him in death on June 26, 1994. They moved to the La Cygne area and began farming in 1958. He continued to farm until 1984. Upon retiring from farming, he worked for John Teagarden and Terry Stainbrook until 2017.
He was a member of the Parker Masonic Lodge and the Mirza Shrine. George enjoyed drinking beer and Wild Turkey while spending time with his family and extended family. He also liked attending Linn County Shrine Meeting and reading western novels.
After losing his wife, Carol, he had many good years of companionship with Alice Wood. This relationship gained him some additional family including eight children, 21 grandchildren, 19 great grandchildren and 12 great, great grandchildren. Alice preceded George in death on April 12, 2012.
Also preceding him were his parents and five siblings, Charles and Johnnie Kitchell, Thelma Stewart, June Tinsley and Geraldine Templin.
George is survived by two daughters, Georgia Oshel and Gloria Bresee (Ernie); two grandchildren, Michael Bresee and Spence Upham; two great grandchildren, Ashley and Austin Upham; one great, great grandchild, Haidyn Williams; and numerous nieces, nephews, extended family and friends.
Funeral service was scheduled at 11 a.m. Tuesday, Jan. 7, 2020, at the Schneider Funeral Home and Crematory, La Cygne Chapel, with burial in the Star Valley Cemetery. Visitation was scheduled from 5- 7 p.m. Monday, Jan. 6, at the La Cygne Chapel with a Masonic Service to be held at 7 p.m. Monday at the chapel.
Contributions are suggested to the Mirza General Fund, c/o Schneider Funeral Home, P.O. Box 304, La Cygne, KS 66040. Online condolences can be left at www.schneiderfunerals.com.
Linn County News Published Feb. 26, 2020 Marion Earl Farley, age 86, Grandview, Mo., passed away Tuesday, Feb. 18, 2020, at Research Medical Center in Kansas City, Mo. He was born on Aug. 25, 1933, in Ottawa, Kan., the son of Homer and Cleo... [More]
Linn County News Published Jan. 1, 2020 Mary Jo Ernst, age 76, of Pleasanton, Kan. passed away at her home Tuesday, Dec. 17, 2019. Jo was born in Kansas City, Kan. on Oct. 12, 1943, the daughter of Bert and Tippy Hurst. She had one loving... [More]
Ruby Violet Brenneman, age 81, La Cygne, Kan., passed away on Thursday, Sept. 12, 2019, at her home. She was born on June 29, 1938, in La Cygne the daughter of John D. and Violet May Anderson Holman. She graduated from La Cygne Rural High School in the Class of 1956. ... [More]
- Richard Scott Craig 10-30-1945 to 02-17-2020
- Jerome Vernon “Jerry” Morgan 05-09-1941 to 01-31-2020
- Robert Dale Pennington 07-18-1937 to 02-16-2020
- David Earl Cummings 09-08-1953 to 02-13-2020
- Sidney A. McKnight Jr. 12-20-1940 to 12-16-2019
- Robert Dale Avery 12-26-1931 to 02-11-2020
- Robert Dean “Bob” King 08-23-1934 to 02-12-2020
- Richard Butts 06-04-1935 to 02-05-2020
At issue is access authority at scrapyard site Parker city leaders tabled a question of roadway authority and access at the council’s monthly meeting last Thursday. At question is the non-platted South Walnut Street south of South Street that... [More]
County discusses other departments needing the software After a long discussion last week that the County Commissioners wanted to see County Attorney James Brun in the county more, he told them this week that he is purchasing Westlaw, an online legal... [More]
Grade 8-12 offerings will enable more certifications, gain extra funding Numerous courses, mainly at Prairie View High, will be renamed or initiated in action taken by the Unified School District 362 board of education at their Feb. 10 monthly meeting.... [More]
- BREAKING NEWS
- Steven Louis Finley 05-24-1966 to 06-15-2019
- Wanda Sheppard 06-10-1926 to 01-08-2019
- Jack Edward Scott 01-22-1925 to 06-10-2019
- Lloyd Eugene “Gene” Dixon 10-31-1938 to 06-11-2019
- John R. Markley, DVM 04-23-1934 to 05-22-2019
- Bobby J. Wurtz 02-01-1936 to 05-14-2019
- Parker leaders double Christmas toy donation
The Pleasanton basketball teams hosted their Senior-Parent Night against Oswego on Feb. 11. It was a good night for the Jays as both the boys and girls won their respective games. The girls won 34-24 while the boys won their game 69-47. The girls’ game... [More]
The Prairie View girls’ wrestling team traveled to Paola on Feb. 14-15 to compete in the East Regional to determine who would go to the girls’ State Tournament in Salina on Feb. 27. The Buffalos took five wrestlers to the tournament, and two of... [More]
- Prairie View football defeats Caney Valley, advances to play Columbus in regional round
- Prairie View cross country hosts Ramsey Invitational
- A day to remember: Lady Buff seniors help sweep Oz in home finale
- Pleasanton baseball falls to Northeast; softball gets first wins of season
- Pleasanton places 7th in TRL tournament
- Alcorn, Snyder compete for the Buffalos at State
- Stone, Broyles, Dawson medal for Hawks at State Track Meet
- Miller leads Blu-Jays at State track