Linn County News
Published Oct. 24, 2018
Jean Rae Mayhugh, age 83, Prescott, Kan., passed away Monday, Oct. 22, 2018, at her home. She was born in rural Prescott on Nov. 6, 1934, the daughter of Raymond and Helen Johnson Long.
She graduated from Prescott High School and earned her Associate of Arts Degree from Fort Scott Community College.
Jean was united in marriage to James W. Mayhugh on Nov. 3, 1953, at the Methodist Parsonage in Prescott.
She worked in various occupations including: driving a school bus for the Jayhawk School District, at the Prescott Library, as legal secretary in private practice, and later was the administrative assistant to the Linn County Judge.
She was preceded in death by a son, Ronald Morton; her parents; and two brothers-in-law, Fred Hunter and Clyde Morris.
Jean is survived by her husband J.W.; a son, Andy Mayhugh and wife Karla; two daughters, Cindy Staton and Sheila Jackson and husband Jess; two brothers, Larry Long and Donna, and Richard Long and Helen; five sisters, Betty Clayton and Bob, Bonnie Hunter, Donna Morris, Diana Carpenter and Bill, and Leana Gier and Gary; five grandchildren, Jay Orr, Adam Mayhugh, Levi Jackson, Jacob Jackson and Stephanie Simons; and 10 great grandchildren.
Funeral services will be held 10 a.m. Thursday, Oct. 25, 2018, at the Prescott United Methodist Church. Burial will be in Battlefield Cemetery. Visitation will be held from 5-7 p.m. Wednesday at the Schneider Funeral Home and Crematory, Mound City Chapel.
Contributions are suggested to Care to Share or the Prescott United Methodist Church.
Linn County News Published April 14, 2021 Cecil L. Fish, 89, Ottawa, Kan., and former longtime Labette County resident, passed away Thursday, April 8, 2021, at his home. Cecil was born the third child to Cecil Paige and Edna (Nickoley) Fish on Dec. 7, 1931, in... [More]
Linn County News Published April 14, 2021 William Michael McMillan, age 60, of St. Joseph, Mo., passed away on Thursday, April 8, 2021. He was born on Aug. 24, 1960, in Kansas City, Mo., the son of William McMillan and Virginia Russell McMillan. He... [More]
Linn County News Published April 14, 2021 Vivian Lucile Bright, age 93, Pleasanton, Kan., passed away on Thursday, April 8, 2021. She was born in La Cygne, Kan., on April 4, 1928, the daughter of Raymond and Leona Dodge Vail. Vivian graduated from... [More]
- Brett Michael Johnson 07-10-1995 to 12-12-2020
- Thomas Franklin “T.F.” Edmonds 01-14-1928 to 11-06-2020
- Vernon LeRoy “Roy” Massey 02-09-1922 to 10-07-2020
- Margaret Eileen Wier 02-15-1943 to 09-21-2020
- Elynor Ann Miller 08-28-1924 to 08-02-2020
- James J. Shannon Robinson 03-29-1980 to 08-01-2020
- Charles William “Bill” Atwood Jr. 05-31-1927 to 07-29-2020
- Verna Louise Bright 09-06-1935 to 07-30-2020
The Mound City Council met by phone for a special meeting on Tuesday afternoon, April 6, for the purpose of determining whether or not to reopen the discussions on the sale of the city lake. During the course of that meeting, the council voted to go forward with the discussions... [More]
Customers are spared a billing shock La Cygne natural gas customers will not feel the burden of a high February supplier invoice. The unanimous decision by its council followed a 15-minute executive session for legal attorney-client privilege at its regular meeting... [More]
New possibilities discussed Linn County Fire Chief Doug Barlet reported to the Linn County Commissioners on Monday, April 12, that he had discussed their request for possible changes to the burn ban policy, and the board had voted 7-0 to make no changes; however, they... [More]
- Commissioners approve roof bid for fire stations
- Christmas in Linn County
- New quarantine guidelines announced, software approved for Health Department
- Wreck leaves local attorney injured
- Commissioners opt to leave mask decision to school boards
- USD 362 sets new bond election date
- Cattle industry feeling the impact of COVID-19
- LC Sheriff’s Office joins Crimes Against Children Task Force
Prairie View got contributions from many sources in their April 6 softball doubleheader sweep of Iola. Wins of 10-3 and 18-8 over the Fillies raised the Lady Buffalos’ Pioneer League record to 4-0, 5-0 overall, to begin this week. The team will host a non-league twinbill... [More]
The Jayhawk JV golf team did well last week. On April 5 they traveled to Erie and on April 6 they went to Fort Scott for a tournament hosted by Uniontown. In the Erie tournament they only brought three golfers so they could not place as a team, but at the Uniontown tournament... [More]
- Pleasanton baseball starts season with a pair of walk-off thrillers against Oswego
- Prairie View, Pioneer League ponder Baldwin addition
- Pleasanton girls’ basketball hopes for good season with young but experienced team
- Prairie View football has multiple players on the All Pioneer League team
- Prairie View football starts playoffs strong with dominant win over Caney Valley
- Jayhawk football falls to West Franklin
- Pleasanton football falls to Olpe
- Pleasanton football falls in close game to Uniontown on Homecoming