Joan L. Lowery, age 80, of Pleasanton, Kan., passed away Wednesday, Dec. 9, 2015, at Prescott Country View. She was born on March 4, 1935, at Kansas City, Mo., the daughter of Lester and Muriel Troope Lucieer.
She married Benny Lowery on June 23, 1951, at Clarinda, Iowa.
During her working career she was employed at Braemoor’s Sewing Factory, Baker’s Thriftway, Flower Shop, and owned and operated Lowery Plumbing.
She was a member of the Worland Baptist Church for many years, even serving as a Sunday School teacher. She was president of the Pleasanton PTA, and ran the concession stand at ball games. She enjoyed flower and vegetable gardening and cooking. Christmas was her favorite holiday. She made many crafts and sold them at the Sugar Mound Arts and Crafts Festival.
She was preceded in death by her parents; an infant son; and two sisters Irma Estes and Ann Phipps.
She is survived by her husband, Benny; two sons Benny Lowery and wife, Carol, and Scott Lowery and wife, Lora; four daughters Joani Fatahalian and husband, Farhad, Tricia Welch and husband, Jim, Angie Lowery, and Tana Allen and husband, Jay; 12 grandchildren and 16 great-grandchildren.
Funeral services were held Friday, Dec. 11, 2015, at the Schneider Funeral Home and Crematory, Pleasanton Chapel. Burial was in the Pleasanton Cemetery. The family suggests contributions to Prescott Country View. Online condolences for the family may be left at www.schneiderfunerals.com. Arrangements: Schneider Funeral Home and Crematory, Pleasanton Chapel.
Linn County News Published Aug. 4, 2021 Lela Aleane Sharp, age 100, of Fontana, Kan., passed away Wednesday, July 28, 2021, at her home. Funeral services were held Tuesday, Aug. 3, 2021, at Dengel and Son Mortuary, 305 N. Pearl St., Paola, Kan., 66071, with... [More]
Linn County News Published July 28, 2021 James Allen Johnson, age 72, of Pleasanton, Kan., passed away on Saturday, July 24, 2021, at the University of Kansas Medical Center in Kansas City, Kan., after a brief illness. Allen was born on July 7, 1949, at Moran, Kan.,... [More]
Linn County News Published July 28, 2021 Farmer boy, Johnnie Leon Giffin, loving father and husband of 58 years, went to Heaven on July 22, 2021. His funeral Mass will be at Prince of Peace Catholic Church at 10 a.m. Wednesday, July 28, 2021, Johnnie was born June... [More]
- Brett Michael Johnson 07-10-1995 to 12-12-2020
- Thomas Franklin “T.F.” Edmonds 01-14-1928 to 11-06-2020
- Vernon LeRoy “Roy” Massey 02-09-1922 to 10-07-2020
- Margaret Eileen Wier 02-15-1943 to 09-21-2020
- Elynor Ann Miller 08-28-1924 to 08-02-2020
- James J. Shannon Robinson 03-29-1980 to 08-01-2020
- Charles William “Bill” Atwood Jr. 05-31-1927 to 07-29-2020
- Verna Louise Bright 09-06-1935 to 07-30-2020
Appearing at the tail end of the County Commissioners meeting on Monday, County Attorney Burton Harding was questioned by them concerning his employee, the hours he works and the court backlog of cases. Harding stated on clearing the court case backlog that what he thought... [More]
Rape victim relative concerned over no county victim advocate, possible lack of penalty for defendant
(Victim and family of victim’s name have been withheld to protect the victim.) A case that was filed in Linn Valley April 28, 2020, which occurred over the Easter weekend of April 12, 2020, continues today, but without the aid of a victim advocate for the rape... [More]
Given previous credit, most time is already served Robert Joseph Brierley has received consecutive 12-month sentences for crimes committed in 2019. At Brierley’s sentencing July 20 in Linn County District Court, Geoffrey W. Clark, judge pro tem, issued the... [More]
- SPECIAL: Linn County Sheriff's Office seeking identification of subject
- La Cygne awards bid for settling pond project
- Commissioners approve roof bid for fire stations
- Christmas in Linn County
- New quarantine guidelines announced, software approved for Health Department
- Wreck leaves local attorney injured
- Commissioners opt to leave mask decision to school boards
- USD 362 sets new bond election date
Kyle Carstens, a Fontana native and 2006 Prairie View graduate, is ready to compete in the Linn County Fair and Rodeo’s Outlaw Truck & Tractor Pull taking place on the evening of Aug. 8. Carstens just recently started competing with tractors in pulling events but... [More]
The Fifth Annual Catfish Tournament was held at Pleasanton East Lake on the evening of July 16. The tournament started that evening and ended around 3 a.m. the next morning. Qualifying fish had to be at least 15 inches long. The tournament featured 52 participants, and a total... [More]
- 2021 All Linn County baseball team
- Jayhawk softball falls to Belle Plaine at State
- Briley Moore finds NFL home as undrafted free agent
- Pleasanton track competes at Jayhawk Invitational
- Pleasanton baseball starts season with a pair of walk-off thrillers against Oswego
- Prairie View, Pioneer League ponder Baldwin addition
- Pleasanton girls’ basketball hopes for good season with young but experienced team
- Prairie View football has multiple players on the All Pioneer League team