John W. Allcorn Jr., 73, of Blue Mound, Kan., passed away Aug. 10, 2016, at Prescott Country View Nursing Home after a long illness. John was born Oct. 23, 1942, in Osawatomie, Kan., to John William and Norma Ruth (Murray) Allcorn Sr.
After graduating from Osawatomie High School, John served two years in the U.S. Air Force. On July 14, 1962, John married Jane Ellen Crozier. They had two sons Adam Wade and Andrew William.
John was an avid car nut. He worked for several car dealers in Osawatomie and Paola and as a mechanic for Amoco for 30 years in Miami County before moving to Blue Mound and working for Amoco in Mound City. He owned the car wash and storage in Mound City. John had several street rods, belonged to several car clubs and was a safety inspector for the National Street Rod Association. John retired from full time employment in 2007 after working 10 years for Linn County as a truck driver. John never met a stranger and loved to visit.
John was preceded in death by his parents.
He is survived by his wife, Jane, of the home; two sons Adam and Andrew, both of Blue Mound; three sisters Shirley Fultz, Jeannie Angler and Donna Andrews and husband, Arthur, all of Olathe, Kan.; two granddaughters Mallory and Hannah Allcorn; one great-granddaughter Nema Rose Tripp; and several nieces and nephews.
There will be a celebration of life service for John at 11 a.m., Saturday, Aug. 20, 2016, at Blue Mound Federated Church. The family will receive friends at the church from 10 a.m. until service time.
The family suggests contributions to John Allcorn Funeral Expense Fund in care of Schneider Funeral Home, P.O. Box J, Mound City, KS 66056. Friends and family may leave online condolences at www.schneiderfunerals.com. Arrangements: Schneider Funeral Home & Crematory, Mound City Chapel.
Linn County News Published Aug. 3, 2022 Patsy Lucille Smith, age 59, Pleasanton, Kan., passed away peacefully in her home, surrounded by family Sunday, July 31, 2022. She was born on June 15, 1963, in Parsons, Kan., the daughter of George William (Bill) and Mary Jo (Jones)... [More]
Linn County News Published August 3, 2022 Fred Ahlemann, age 84, Overland Park, Kan., passed away Friday, July 29, 2022. Funeral service will be held 11 a.m. Saturday, Aug. 13, 2022, at St. Mark’s Lutheran Church, Olathe, Kan. Graveside service will be 3 p.m. Saturday,... [More]
Linn County News Published Aug. 3, 2022 Janet L. Toms, age 69, Pleasanton, Kan., passed away Wednesday, July 27, 2022. She was born on May 25, 1953, in Paola, Kan., to Kenneth and Fontella Butler Stainbrook. She graduated from Prairie View High School and... [More]
- Joseph Michael Dellinger 01-17-1950 to 08-20-2021
- Brett Michael Johnson 07-10-1995 to 12-12-2020
- Thomas Franklin “T.F.” Edmonds 01-14-1928 to 11-06-2020
- Vernon LeRoy “Roy” Massey 02-09-1922 to 10-07-2020
- Margaret Eileen Wier 02-15-1943 to 09-21-2020
- Elynor Ann Miller 08-28-1924 to 08-02-2020
- James J. Shannon Robinson 03-29-1980 to 08-01-2020
- Charles William “Bill” Atwood Jr. 05-31-1927 to 07-29-2020
Following the governor’s recent approval of legislation created to show when taxing entities are increasing mill levies, additional costs to taxpayers are coming to the forefront, despite some holding taxes to the same level using revenue neutral rates. Kansaspolicy.org... [More]
Following opening statements at Monday’s Pleasanton City Council meeting, public speaker Mike Higgins took the podium and told the council that he was talking to former Olive’s Hope building owner Brandon McGinnis concerning the sale of the building to a family that... [More]
Two of the county departments geared toward public safety are now under new direction. Missy Lancaster took over the Linn County Health Department as well as the position of Public Health Officer in November of last year and has made a few changes to the department since... [More]
- Mayors, councils speak on infrastructure defunding proposal
- Mound City Council looks to add campsites to lake
- SPECIAL: Linn County Sheriff's Office seeking identification of subject
- La Cygne awards bid for settling pond project
- Commissioners approve roof bid for fire stations
- Christmas in Linn County
- New quarantine guidelines announced, software approved for Health Department
- Wreck leaves local attorney injured
Linn County has a new competitive softball team, Total Effect Softball, which will be based out of Mound City. Jayhawk-Linn head softball coach Kris Holt started the team and will be the head coach of Total Effect. Holt had multiple reasons on why he wanted to start a competitive... [More]
Fishing has slowed down since the last reports on June 27, but fish are still being caught and can be even better in the coming weeks with some cooler weather and more rain. All the reports were last updated on July 18. La Cygne Lake Catfish, largemouth and crappie are the... [More]
- Hume splits home season openers
- Marais des Cygnes 4-H members compete at national judging contests
- 2021 All Linn County baseball team
- Jayhawk softball falls to Belle Plaine at State
- Briley Moore finds NFL home as undrafted free agent
- Pleasanton track competes at Jayhawk Invitational
- Pleasanton baseball starts season with a pair of walk-off thrillers against Oswego
- Prairie View, Pioneer League ponder Baldwin addition
• May be mailed, e-mailed, faxed or hand delivered.
• Must be received by 9 a.m. on Tuesday morning in order to appear in that week's edition.
• Full obituaries submitted by individuals are required to be paid in advance.
• Obituaries submitted by funeral homes will be billed to the funeral home.
• Cost: $30 for 300 words or less. Each additional word over 300, 10¢. Photograph $5.
Call Barbara at 913-352-6235 or e-mail email@example.com