Linn County News
Published Aug. 29, 2018
Leland Duane Wood, 70, of Fort Scott, was welcomed into Heaven’s open arms on Aug. 23, 2018. Bless his tired heart; he is now shooting baskets with the best cheering section you could find in Heaven.
Leland was born Oct. 14, 1947, in Fort Scott, Kan., the son of Vergil Leon and Delma Dorene (Brown) Wood. He married Mary Underwood Sept. 28, 1968, in Mapleton, Kan., and she survives of the home.
Leland was a member of the First Missionary Baptist Church in Uniontown, Kan., and was a teacher, coach and insurance agent. He was a member of the Every Other Wednesday Night Poker Club, Every Monday Night Poker Club, Ruritan and Max’s Way Station Coffee Group. He originated Biddy Football and Biddy Basketball in Uniontown.
In addition to his wife Mary, Leland is also survived by his children, Gerald Wood, of Rosemount, Mont., Matthew Wood and Rebecca, of Uniontown, and Amy Mitchell and David, of Shawnee, Kan.; a sister, Carol Majors and Bruce, of Fort Scott; three brothers, Craig Wood and Linda, of Pleasanton, Kan., Dave Wood and Debra, of Fort Scott, and Kevin Wood and Kathy, of Prescott, Kan.; a sister-in-law, Vicki Wood, of Humboldt, Kan.; and seven grandchildren, Brian Wood, Brenden, Carter, A.J. and Alaina Wood, and Tyler and Zachary Mitchell.
He was preceded in death by his parents; a brother, Kenny Wood; and two nephews, Chris Homan and Benjamin Underwood.
Pastor Marty DeWitt conducted funeral services on Monday, Aug. 27, 2018, at the First Missionary Baptist Church in Uniontown, followed by burial at the Prescott Cemetery under the direction of the Konantz-Cheney Funeral Home.
Memorial contributions may be made to the First Missionary Baptist Church Building Fund and left in the care of the Konantz-Cheney Funeral Home, 15 W. Wall Street, PO Box 309, Fort Scott, KS 66701. Condolences may be submitted to the online guestbook at konantz-cheney.com.
Linn County News Published November 23, 2022 Christina A. Creighton Turner, 84, passed away Nov. 19, 2022. She was born Dec. 8, 1937 in Centerville, Kan., to Eva Shafer and Roy Bowman. On Dec. 18, 1955, she married John Creighton; they had four children together before his... [More]
Linn County News Published November 16, 2022 Edgar Wayne Moon, age 82 of La Cygne, Kan., passed away at his home on Saturday, Nov. 12, 2022. He was born the son of Chester and Evelyn (Van Liew) Moon on Aug. 14, 1940, in Lawrence, Kan. Edgar married Betty Talley on... [More]
Linn County News Published November 16, 2022 Timothy Wayne Foxworth, age 62, Mound City, Kan., passed away Thursday, Nov. 10, 2022. A gathering to celebrate Tim’s life will be held from 2 to 4 p.m. on Saturday, Nov. 19, 2022, at the Schneider Funeral Home and Crematory,... [More]
- Joseph Michael Dellinger 01-17-1950 to 08-20-2021
- Brett Michael Johnson 07-10-1995 to 12-12-2020
- Thomas Franklin “T.F.” Edmonds 01-14-1928 to 11-06-2020
- Vernon LeRoy “Roy” Massey 02-09-1922 to 10-07-2020
- Margaret Eileen Wier 02-15-1943 to 09-21-2020
- Elynor Ann Miller 08-28-1924 to 08-02-2020
- James J. Shannon Robinson 03-29-1980 to 08-01-2020
- Charles William “Bill” Atwood Jr. 05-31-1927 to 07-29-2020
Market Street is a proposed path between La Cygne coal, Wolf Creek nuclear plants Representatives from a Kansas City engineering firm last week presented plans for an Evergy underground conduit-cased fiber optics cable preliminarily proposed to run through La Cygne.... [More]
The Linn County Commissioners recessed their Nov. 21 meeting and opened a meeting of the Board of Canvassers for the purpose of canvassing the Nov. 8 election. With Commissioner Rick James absent, the commissioners opted to appoint Darin Wilson as the third member of the Board... [More]
WICHITA — PBS Kansas Channel 8 honored four veterans and one business that serves veterans at its 8th Annual Veterans Coming Home Salute on Nov. 5, 2022 at the Wichita Marriott. This event honored Kansas veterans who demonstrated outstanding service to their country, fellow... [More]
- Mayors, councils speak on infrastructure defunding proposal
- Mound City Council looks to add campsites to lake
- SPECIAL: Linn County Sheriff's Office seeking identification of subject
- La Cygne awards bid for settling pond project
- Commissioners approve roof bid for fire stations
- Christmas in Linn County
- New quarantine guidelines announced, software approved for Health Department
- Wreck leaves local attorney injured
The 2022 cross country season has concluded and now it is time to recognize some of the top local runners in the sport this season. The Prairie View girls’ cross country team had multiple good runners on it and one great runner. The girls just missed making it to State... [More]
The Pleasanton and Jayhawk-Linn football teams are well represented in the 2022 11-man Three Rivers League All League selections. The Hawks make up 16 selections between first team and honorable mention while the Jays make up 10 selections between first team and honorable mention.... [More]
- Hume splits home season openers
- Marais des Cygnes 4-H members compete at national judging contests
- 2021 All Linn County baseball team
- Jayhawk softball falls to Belle Plaine at State
- Briley Moore finds NFL home as undrafted free agent
- Pleasanton track competes at Jayhawk Invitational
- Pleasanton baseball starts season with a pair of walk-off thrillers against Oswego
- Prairie View, Pioneer League ponder Baldwin addition
• May be mailed, e-mailed, faxed or hand delivered.
• Must be received by 9 a.m. on Tuesday morning in order to appear in that week's edition.
• Full obituaries submitted by individuals are required to be paid in advance.
• Obituaries submitted by funeral homes will be billed to the funeral home.
• Cost: $30 for 300 words or less. Each additional word over 300, 10¢. Photograph $5.
Call Barbara at 913-352-6235 or e-mail email@example.com