Linn County News
Published April 11, 2018
Luther Calvin Simmons, age 92, of Pleasanton, Kan., passed away on Thursday, April 5, 2018, at Medicalodges, Fort Scott. He was born on Feb. 2, 1926, at Turner, Kan., the son of Lester and Ethel Bond Simmons.
He served his country in the United States Army during World War II.
He worked for the Wyandotte County Sheriff from 1969-1988, retiring as captain. He was instrumental in the implementation of the 911 dispatch system in Wyandotte County.
He had a love for all of God’s creation. He was a member of the Church of the Nazarene in Pleasanton, enjoyed playing steel guitar and genealogy.
He was preceded in death by his first wife Mardene. He later married Barbara Holland on Jan. 20, 2007.
He was also preceded in death by his parents; a son, James Simmons; five brothers, Charles, Seth, Edgar, Lester and Luther; four sisters, Earline, Ethel, Maudie and Martha.
Luther is survived by his wife Barbara; a son, Lester Simmons; two daughters, Brenda Miller and Cheryl Peters; four stepchildren, Thomas Long, Daniel Long, Rebecca Crossana and Heather Smith; five grandchildren; and 12 great grandchildren.
Funeral service will be held noon Thursday, April 12, 2018, at the Schneider Funeral Home and Crematory, Pleasanton Chapel. Burial will be at 1:30 p.m. at the Fort Scott National Cemetery. Visitation will be held from 5-7 p.m. Wednesday at the Schneider Pleasanton Chapel, and from 11 a.m. to service Thursday.
The family suggests contributions to Compassionate Ministries, c/o Schneider Funeral Home. Online condolences for the family can be left at www.schneiderfunerals.com.
Linn County News Published Aug. 17, 2022 Dean Brown, age 91, a resident of Fulton, Kansas, passed away Wednesday, August 10, 2022, at the Olathe Medical Center in Olathe, Kan. He was born Oct. 7, 1930, in Uniontown, Kan., the son of Durward “Duke” Brown and Pearl... [More]
Linn County News Published Aug. 17, 2022 Arthur Carl Hetzke, age 91, Mound City, Kan., passed away Wednesday, Aug., 10, 2022. He was born on Aug. 5, 1931, in Newton, Kan., the son of Arthur and Elizabeth (Breck) Hetzke. He served his country in the United States Air Force... [More]
Linn County News Published Aug. 17, 2022 William John Adair, Sr., age 74, La Cygne, Kan., passed away Tuesday, Aug. 9, 2022. Funeral service will be 2 p.m. Monday, Aug. 15, 2022, at the Schneider Funeral Home and Crematory, La Cygne Chapel. Visitation will be held from... [More]
- Joseph Michael Dellinger 01-17-1950 to 08-20-2021
- Brett Michael Johnson 07-10-1995 to 12-12-2020
- Thomas Franklin “T.F.” Edmonds 01-14-1928 to 11-06-2020
- Vernon LeRoy “Roy” Massey 02-09-1922 to 10-07-2020
- Margaret Eileen Wier 02-15-1943 to 09-21-2020
- Elynor Ann Miller 08-28-1924 to 08-02-2020
- James J. Shannon Robinson 03-29-1980 to 08-01-2020
- Charles William “Bill” Atwood Jr. 05-31-1927 to 07-29-2020
Two of three rodeo horses were killed or had to be put down following an accident early Saturday morning. Undersheriff Bobby Johnson said that rodeo performer Donald Culpepper, Poulan, Ga., had made a make-shift electric fence for his horses at the Linn County Fairgrounds.... [More]
The city of Parker will be contacting Linn County about concrete surfacing assistance at an intersection that receives heavy truck traffic. At last Thursday’s monthly council meeting, Mayor Cody Adams responded to a patron complaint that asphalt surfacing at the intersection... [More]
Approves a change to the tax incentive program The Pleasanton City Council took several policies and policy changes under consideration at their Aug. 15 meeting. The first of these policies is the Neighborhood Culvert Replacement Program (NCRP) which would grant... [More]
- Mayors, councils speak on infrastructure defunding proposal
- Mound City Council looks to add campsites to lake
- SPECIAL: Linn County Sheriff's Office seeking identification of subject
- La Cygne awards bid for settling pond project
- Commissioners approve roof bid for fire stations
- Christmas in Linn County
- New quarantine guidelines announced, software approved for Health Department
- Wreck leaves local attorney injured
The Linn County Farm Bureau Association hosted the annual pedal pull for kids age 4 to 12 at the Linn County fairgrounds on the evening of Aug. 12. Trophies were given to the top three pullers in each age group along with the opportunity to compete in the Kansas State Pedal... [More]
Kansas Department of Wildlife and Parks fish biologist Don George once again assisted with hosting the annual fishing derby at the Linn County fairgrounds on the morning of Aug. 13. Like in the past, the derby was divided into three age groups, 4-7, 8-10, and 11-16. Awards... [More]
- Hume splits home season openers
- Marais des Cygnes 4-H members compete at national judging contests
- 2021 All Linn County baseball team
- Jayhawk softball falls to Belle Plaine at State
- Briley Moore finds NFL home as undrafted free agent
- Pleasanton track competes at Jayhawk Invitational
- Pleasanton baseball starts season with a pair of walk-off thrillers against Oswego
- Prairie View, Pioneer League ponder Baldwin addition
• May be mailed, e-mailed, faxed or hand delivered.
• Must be received by 9 a.m. on Tuesday morning in order to appear in that week's edition.
• Full obituaries submitted by individuals are required to be paid in advance.
• Obituaries submitted by funeral homes will be billed to the funeral home.
• Cost: $30 for 300 words or less. Each additional word over 300, 10¢. Photograph $5.
Call Barbara at 913-352-6235 or e-mail email@example.com