Linn County News
Published Feb. 7, 2018
Mildred Katie Bortzfield, age 86, formerly of Pleasanton, Kan., died Sunday, Feb. 4, 2018, at Pinnacle Ridge Nursing and Rehabilitation, Olathe, Kan. She was born on Oct. 26, 1931, in Fulton, Kan., the daughter of Robert and Hazel Wurtz Clendening.
She married LeRoy Bortzfield on June 8, 1949, in Salt Lake City, Utah. He preceded her in death on Dec. 31, 1986.
She later married Curtis Owenby on Aug. 31, 1988. He preceded her in death on Nov. 15, 2016.
Katie worked in her early years for the telephone company. She later worked for Braemoor coat factory in Pleasanton. She then worked for Western Insurance Co. in Fort Scott, Kan., until her retirement.
She was an avid hunter and fisherman. She also enjoyed bowling and attending Pickers and Fiddlers.
She was a member of the West Liberty United Methodist Church.
Survivors include a daughter, Vickie Zugelder, Kansas City, Mo.; a son, Rick Bortzfield and wife Robin, Pleasanton; five grandchildren, Chris Zugelder, Riki Barr, Eric Zugelder, Rylan Bortzfield, and Griffin Bortzfield; four great grandchildren, Nicolas, Mackenzie, Alyssa and Zander; a sister, Elenora Courtois, Pleasanton; and numerous nieces and nephews.
Besides both husbands, she was preceded in death by four brothers, Bill, Cecil, Frank and John Clendening; two sisters, Dorothy Nichols and Rosemary Ward; and her parents.
Pastor Tom Mullins will conduct funeral services at 2:30 p.m. Thursday, Feb. 8, at the Cheney Witt Chapel, Fort Scott. Burial will follow in the West Liberty Cemetery. The family will receive friends from 1:30 until service time at the Cheney Witt Chapel.
Memorials are suggested to Good Shepherd Hospice and may be left in care of the Cheney Witt Chapel, PO Box 347, 201 S. Main, Fort Scott, KS 66701. Words of remembrance may be submitted to the online guestbook at cheneywitt.com.
Linn County News Published April 21, 2021 John William Woodburn, 76, died March 7, 2021 in Baxter Regional Medical Center in Mountain Home, Ark. Graveside services will be held on Saturday, April 24, at 2 p.m. at the Pleasanton Cemetery in Pleasanton, Kan.,... [More]
Linn County News Published April 14, 2021 Cecil L. Fish, 89, Ottawa, Kan., and former longtime Labette County resident, passed away Thursday, April 8, 2021, at his home. Cecil was born the third child to Cecil Paige and Edna (Nickoley) Fish on Dec. 7, 1931, in... [More]
Linn County News Published April 14, 2021 William Michael McMillan, age 60, of St. Joseph, Mo., passed away on Thursday, April 8, 2021. He was born on Aug. 24, 1960, in Kansas City, Mo., the son of William McMillan and Virginia Russell McMillan. He... [More]
- Brett Michael Johnson 07-10-1995 to 12-12-2020
- Thomas Franklin “T.F.” Edmonds 01-14-1928 to 11-06-2020
- Vernon LeRoy “Roy” Massey 02-09-1922 to 10-07-2020
- Margaret Eileen Wier 02-15-1943 to 09-21-2020
- Elynor Ann Miller 08-28-1924 to 08-02-2020
- James J. Shannon Robinson 03-29-1980 to 08-01-2020
- Charles William “Bill” Atwood Jr. 05-31-1927 to 07-29-2020
- Verna Louise Bright 09-06-1935 to 07-30-2020
Linn County News Published April 21, 2021 Floyd Arthur Holmes (or Arthur Floyd Holmes, it was never clear which) passed away peacefully at his residence at Grandwood Assisted Living in Grove, Okla., on Feb. 13, 2021, exactly one month after celebrating his... [More]
The Mound City Council met by phone for a special meeting on Tuesday afternoon, April 6, for the purpose of determining whether or not to reopen the discussions on the sale of the city lake. During the course of that meeting, the council voted to go forward with the discussions... [More]
Customers are spared a billing shock La Cygne natural gas customers will not feel the burden of a high February supplier invoice. The unanimous decision by its council followed a 15-minute executive session for legal attorney-client privilege at its regular meeting... [More]
- Commissioners approve roof bid for fire stations
- Christmas in Linn County
- New quarantine guidelines announced, software approved for Health Department
- Wreck leaves local attorney injured
- Commissioners opt to leave mask decision to school boards
- USD 362 sets new bond election date
- Cattle industry feeling the impact of COVID-19
- LC Sheriff’s Office joins Crimes Against Children Task Force
Prairie View got contributions from many sources in their April 6 softball doubleheader sweep of Iola. Wins of 10-3 and 18-8 over the Fillies raised the Lady Buffalos’ Pioneer League record to 4-0, 5-0 overall, to begin this week. The team will host a non-league twinbill... [More]
The Jayhawk JV golf team did well last week. On April 5 they traveled to Erie and on April 6 they went to Fort Scott for a tournament hosted by Uniontown. In the Erie tournament they only brought three golfers so they could not place as a team, but at the Uniontown tournament... [More]
- Pleasanton baseball starts season with a pair of walk-off thrillers against Oswego
- Prairie View, Pioneer League ponder Baldwin addition
- Pleasanton girls’ basketball hopes for good season with young but experienced team
- Prairie View football has multiple players on the All Pioneer League team
- Prairie View football starts playoffs strong with dominant win over Caney Valley
- Jayhawk football falls to West Franklin
- Pleasanton football falls to Olpe
- Pleasanton football falls in close game to Uniontown on Homecoming