Linn County News
Published January 18, 2023
Richard D. Perkins, age 88, Iola, Kan., formerly of Mound City, Kan., passed away Thursday, Jan. 12, 2023. He was born in Pleasanton, Kan., on Nov. 1, 1934, the son of Edward and Guyla Brown Perkins. He graduated from La Cygne High School and later received an Associate’s Degree from Fort Scott Community College after retiring from the Army.
He was united in marriage to Susan Norton. She preceded him in death Jan. 16, 1996. He later married Bonnie Sponseller Stout. He added many new family members with this marriage.
He served his country for over twenty years in the United States Army including the Vietnam War. He earned many honors including a Purple Heart. After military retirement he worked at numerous jobs including, private security, the Alaskan Pipeline, City of Mound City and Cedar Brook Country Club. He coached many young men in baseball and enjoyed fishing and hunting. He was a member of the Masonic Lodge, the American Legion and the VFW.
He was preceded in death by his parents; a sister, Dorothy Ruggles; a grandson, Timothy; and a great-grandson, Darius. Dick is survived by his wife, Bonnie; three sons, James Perkins, Joseph Perkins, and Timothy Perkins; two daughters, Debora David and Denise East; acquired children, Gary Stout, Randy Stout, Kim Stout, and Tammy Johnson; seventeen grandchildren and twenty-seven great-grandchildren.
Memorial service will be 1 p.m. Friday, Jan. 20, 2023, at the Schneider Funeral Home and Crematory, Mound City Chapel. Burial will be in the La Cygne Cemetery. Visitation will be from 11:30 a.m. to service time. Contributions are suggested to the American Legion Post #15 Baseball Team. Online condolences can be left at www.schneiderfunerals.com.
Debra Dale Wolf ~ 04-03-1954 to 03-22-2023
Linn County News Published March 29, 2023 Debra Dale Wolf, age 68, Linn Valley, Kan., passed away Wednesday, March 22, 2023. Graveside funeral service will be held 2 p.m. Wednesday, March 29, 2023, at the Trading Post Cemetery. Memorial contributions... [More]
Jessica Erin Cox ~ 11-15-1979 to 03-20-2023
Linn County News Published March 29, 2023 Jessica Erin Cox, beloved daughter, and granddaughter, passed away at her home in Lawrence, Kan., March 20, 2023. Jessica was born Nov. 15, 1979, at the University of Kansas Medical Center. She was a graduate of Shawnee... [More]
Larry Ray Oliver ~ 07-12-1953 to 03-22-2023
Linn County News Published March 29, 2023 Larry Ray Oliver, age 69, Pleasanton, Kan., passed away on Wednesday, March 22, 2023. Funeral service will be at 6 p.m. on Saturday, March 25, 2023, at the Schneider Funeral Home and Crematory, Pleasanton Chapel. Visitation... [More]
- Buford Wayne “Bud” Lindsey ~ 11-21-1934 to 03-15-2023
- Vance Laverne Bruner ~ 07-01-1959 to 03-17-2023
- Curtis Eugene Virgin ~ 09-09-1944 to 03-14-2023
- Janice Ann Leasure Woodrum ~ 05-04-1948 to 03-05-2023
- Lewis Michael Wilson ~ 08-13-1952 to 03-05-2023
- Janet Dean Robinson Staton ~ 02-16-1939 to 03-08-2023
- Margaret Ellen McRae ~ 01-30-1932 to 03-06-2023
- C.H. Parker ~ 08-24-1942 to 03-06-2023
Special: Governor issues declaration of disaster emergency due to threat of wildland fires
Governor Laura Kelly issued a verbal declaration of disaster emergency this morning, March 31, due to the potential for wildland fires and severe storms in the state. The declaration will allow the state to preposition assets for a quicker response to any fires... [More]
Commissioners discuss Pleasanton meal site options
During the latter part of the meeting on Monday, March 27, Linn County Commissioners discussed the walk-through on Wednesday, March 22 at the former Memaw’s Kitchen located at 6th and Main Streets in Pleasanton. Economic Development Director Jessica Hightower read notes... [More]
Linn Valley moves forward with water, sewer project
“Positive ramifications” for the city Following a 15-minute legal session called by Linn Valley Mayor Cindy Smith at their Monday meeting, the mayor announced a preliminary agreement with Rural Water District #1 for water rights in Linn Valley. Smith... [More]
- USD 362 leader asks to broaden policy
- SPECIAL: National Walking Day on Wednesday, April 5th
- SPECIAL: Drug operation ends with six arrests in Miami and Linn counties
- Linn County Planning & Zoning Commission says no to windmills
- Heartland REC introduces possible Linn County solar field
- County appraiser reports on valuation increases
- One-cent sales tax coming on Pleasanton ballot
- SPECIAL: Pleasanton One-Cent Sales Tax Questions
Prairie View competes at State Powerlifting meet
The Prairie View Buffalos competed in the State Powerlifting meet on March 25. The meet had 285 total lifters and the Buffalos took 16 boys and nine girls to the event. Prairie View had two lifters place second in their respective weight divisions at the meet. Rhett Jackman,... [More]
Jayhawk softball and baseball open season against Southeast Cherokee
The Jayhawk baseball and softball teams opened their 2023 season at home against Southeast Cherokee on March 27. Both softball and baseball teams played a double header and the boys split while the girls swept the Lancers. Baseball won their first game 3-0 but lost the second... [More]
- 2022-23 All County Girls’ Basketball team
- Jayhawk Wrestling Club has five place at State
- Linn County Twisters takes 13 to State, 5 place
- Lady Buffs win 1, fall in semifinals
- Pleasanton basketball falls in the first round of Sub-State
- White places sixth for Jayhawk wrestling at State
- Kline and Cox-Halliburton represent Prairie View at State
- Prairie View basketball splits against Anderson County
• May be mailed, e-mailed, faxed or hand delivered.
• Must be received by 9 a.m. on Tuesday morning in order to appear in that week's edition.
• Full obituaries submitted by individuals are required to be paid in advance.
• Obituaries submitted by funeral homes will be billed to the funeral home.
• Cost: $30 for 300 words or less. Each additional word over 300, 10¢. Photograph $5.
Call Barbara at 913-352-6235 or e-mail email@example.com