Linn County News
Published June 13, 2018
Russell D. Wier, age 73, La Cygne, Kan., passed away on Tuesday June 5, 2018, at his home. He was born on Dec. 5, 1944, in La Cygne, the son of Clarence Atwell and Wanda Pauline Merriman Wier. He graduated from La Cygne Rural High School in the Class of 1962.
He married Margaret Stoker. To this union, two children were born.
Russell was a painter during his working career.
He was a member of Our Lady of Lourdes Catholic Church and the Knights of Columbus. He served as a 4-H leader and was on the Linn County Fair Board. He enjoyed dogs (beagles, golden retrievers and coon hounds) and horses.
He was preceded in death by his parents.
Russell is survived by a son, Patrick Wier and Tracy, and a daughter, Heather Wier and Jeremy; a brother, Ron Wier and Judy; and three grandchildren, Trevor, Aubree and Daniesha.
Mass of Christian Burial was held on Friday, June 8, 2018, at Our Lady of Lourdes Catholic Church in La Cygne. Burial was in the Oak Lawn Cemetery.
The family suggests contributions to St. Joseph Indian School or Busy Workers 4-H. Online condolences can be left at www.schneiderfunerals.com.
Linn County News Published April 21, 2021 John William Woodburn, 76, died March 7, 2021 in Baxter Regional Medical Center in Mountain Home, Ark. Graveside services will be held on Saturday, April 24, at 2 p.m. at the Pleasanton Cemetery in Pleasanton, Kan.,... [More]
Linn County News Published April 14, 2021 Cecil L. Fish, 89, Ottawa, Kan., and former longtime Labette County resident, passed away Thursday, April 8, 2021, at his home. Cecil was born the third child to Cecil Paige and Edna (Nickoley) Fish on Dec. 7, 1931, in... [More]
Linn County News Published April 14, 2021 William Michael McMillan, age 60, of St. Joseph, Mo., passed away on Thursday, April 8, 2021. He was born on Aug. 24, 1960, in Kansas City, Mo., the son of William McMillan and Virginia Russell McMillan. He... [More]
- Brett Michael Johnson 07-10-1995 to 12-12-2020
- Thomas Franklin “T.F.” Edmonds 01-14-1928 to 11-06-2020
- Vernon LeRoy “Roy” Massey 02-09-1922 to 10-07-2020
- Margaret Eileen Wier 02-15-1943 to 09-21-2020
- Elynor Ann Miller 08-28-1924 to 08-02-2020
- James J. Shannon Robinson 03-29-1980 to 08-01-2020
- Charles William “Bill” Atwood Jr. 05-31-1927 to 07-29-2020
- Verna Louise Bright 09-06-1935 to 07-30-2020
Linn County News Published April 21, 2021 Floyd Arthur Holmes (or Arthur Floyd Holmes, it was never clear which) passed away peacefully at his residence at Grandwood Assisted Living in Grove, Okla., on Feb. 13, 2021, exactly one month after celebrating his... [More]
The Mound City Council met by phone for a special meeting on Tuesday afternoon, April 6, for the purpose of determining whether or not to reopen the discussions on the sale of the city lake. During the course of that meeting, the council voted to go forward with the discussions... [More]
Customers are spared a billing shock La Cygne natural gas customers will not feel the burden of a high February supplier invoice. The unanimous decision by its council followed a 15-minute executive session for legal attorney-client privilege at its regular meeting... [More]
- Commissioners approve roof bid for fire stations
- Christmas in Linn County
- New quarantine guidelines announced, software approved for Health Department
- Wreck leaves local attorney injured
- Commissioners opt to leave mask decision to school boards
- USD 362 sets new bond election date
- Cattle industry feeling the impact of COVID-19
- LC Sheriff’s Office joins Crimes Against Children Task Force
Prairie View got contributions from many sources in their April 6 softball doubleheader sweep of Iola. Wins of 10-3 and 18-8 over the Fillies raised the Lady Buffalos’ Pioneer League record to 4-0, 5-0 overall, to begin this week. The team will host a non-league twinbill... [More]
The Jayhawk JV golf team did well last week. On April 5 they traveled to Erie and on April 6 they went to Fort Scott for a tournament hosted by Uniontown. In the Erie tournament they only brought three golfers so they could not place as a team, but at the Uniontown tournament... [More]
- Pleasanton baseball starts season with a pair of walk-off thrillers against Oswego
- Prairie View, Pioneer League ponder Baldwin addition
- Pleasanton girls’ basketball hopes for good season with young but experienced team
- Prairie View football has multiple players on the All Pioneer League team
- Prairie View football starts playoffs strong with dominant win over Caney Valley
- Jayhawk football falls to West Franklin
- Pleasanton football falls to Olpe
- Pleasanton football falls in close game to Uniontown on Homecoming