Linn County News
Published May 10, 2023
Sharon Kay Ala, age 79, of La Cygne, Kan., passed away at her home on May 1, 2023, surrounded by family. Sharon was born the daughter of Verne “Shorty” Ray and Ruth Bernice (Gilmore) Ross on May 1, 1944, at Blue Mound, Kan. She married Leon “Butch” Snow on April 18, 1964, to this union two daughters were born, Angela Johnson (Tom) and Tina Stillians (Toby). Butch and Sharon were married for thirty years when he preceded her in death in 1994. Sharon then married Gary Ala on June 23, 2001, in Fort Scott, Kan.
She worked at Stainbrook’s store in La Cygne for thirty-two years. Sharon enjoyed gardening, cooking, helping with the 4-H when her girls were involved, spoiling her grandchildren, spending time with her family and she also had an extensive collection of owls. She was also preceded in death by her parents.
Sharon is survived by her daughters; three brothers, Gary, Jerry and Vernon Ross; two stepsons, Stephen Patterson and Terry Ala; three stepdaughters, Cindy Kruh, Toni Miller and Julie Hatfield; three grandchildren, Jake, Tyler and Taylor; one great-granddaughter, Sophee; ten additional step-grandchildren; and eight additional step-great-grandchildren.
Funeral Service will be held at 10 a.m., Saturday, May 6, 2023, at the Schneider Funeral Home and Crematory, La Cygne Chapel. Visitation will be from 5 to 7 p.m., Friday, May 5, 2023, at the Schneider Funeral Home and Crematory, La Cygne Chapel. Burial will be at the New Lancaster Cemetery. Memorials may be made to New Lancaster United Methodist Women and may be sent in care of the funeral home to: Schneider Funeral Home P.O. Box 304 La Cygne, Kansas 66040. Online condolences may be left at www.schneiderfunerals.com.
Gene Raymond Mitchell ~ 10-27-1938 to 11-24-2022
Linn County News Published May 24, 2023 Gene Raymond Mitchell, 84 years, passed away on November 24, 2022 in his home Grand Rapids, Mich. He was born in Kansas City, Kan., the third child of Otto and Ruby Mitchell. Preceded in death by his parents and brother,... [More]
Richard Scott Secrest ~ 05-29-1929 to 05-16-2023
Linn County News Published May 17, 2023 Richard Scott Secrest, age 93 of Nevada, Mo., formerly of Pleasanton, Kan., passed away on Tuesday, May 16, 2023. He was born the son of Ancil and Beulah (Jackson) Secrest on May 29, 1929, at Edgerton, Kan. Richard married... [More]
Donald Raymond Wier ~ 07-09-1940 to 05-11-2023
Linn County News Published May 17, 2023 Donald Raymond Wier, age 82, of Denton, Texas, passed away on May 11, 2023. The second child of Lloyd Elmer and Thelma Olan (Meek) Wier, Don was born on July 9, 1940, in Fort Scott, Kan., a farm kid who excelled in... [More]
- Gerald Lee “Jerry” Allison ~ 10-15-1939 to 05-14-2023
- Raymond Milton White ~ 08-09-1925 to 05-06-2023
- Loretta Mae “Sis” Brown ~ 01-17-1944 to 05-07-2023
- James Frances Ptacek ~ 10-01-1928 to 04-01-2023
- Dale Deer ~ 05-25-1940 to 04-30-2023
- Dale Deer ~ 05-25-1940 to 04-30-2023
- Sharon Kay Ala ~ 05-01-1944 to 05-01-2023
- Ann Emily Catron ~ 04-01-1955 to 04-30-2023
Health and cancer screening to be held June 3
A health and cancer screening event is planned for 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. on June 3 at the Pleasanton United Methodist Church, 751 Main Street. This event will have prostrate and skin cancer screenings, take-home colorectal cancer screening kits, blood pressure readings, tobacco... [More]
Third annual Thunder on the Street set for June 3
This year’s Thunder on the Street event, set for June 3 on Main Street in Pleasanton, promises several activities for all ages. The wall of death is back this year, only under a new company - Ives Brothers Wall of Death and promises tons of gravity defying entertainment.... [More]
Memorial Day events in Linn County
Saturday, May 27 Linn Valley Memorial Day ceremony at the memorial at 10 a.m. Prescott Cemetery Memorial Day ceremony at 10:30 a.m.; a potluck lunch will follow at the Community Building in Prescott with the city providing the meat, drinks and table service.... [More]
- Tanglewood Lakes gates destroyed by crowd
- Tanglewood incident tops commission meeting
- La Cygne codes officer resigns
- SPECIAL: Press release on protest at Tanglewood Lakes
- Click It or Ticket Campaign Reminds Drivers: Buckle Up May 22 - June 4, and Every Day
- SPECIAL: K-152 resurfacing project to begin in late May
- Commissioners approve STARS funding at 1 mill for 2024
- Commercial solar farms top zoning regulation discussions
Prairie View girls win 3A State track meet
The Prairie View track team traveled to Wichita May 26-27 to compete in the 3A State track championship and brought home some hardware to say the least. The girls’ team earned the school’s first State track championship as they scored 41.5 points to win the 3A girls’... [More]
Jayhawk boys bring home multiple medals at State track
The Jayhawk-Linn track team traveled to Wichita on May 26-27 to compete in the 2A State track championship. The Hawks were well represented this year as they sent a total of 13, seven girls and six boys, to State. The boys’ team earned multiple medals at the meet. Gus... [More]
- Jayhawk softball wins Regional, advances to State
- Lady Buffs win Regional track meet
- Pleasanton track qualifies six for State
- Prairie View girls win Pioneer League track meet
- Pleasanton track places fourth in TRL meet
- Jayhawk track places top two at TRL meet
- Prairie View softball 3-0 against Osawatomie and Girard
- Jayhawk softball sweeps Marmaton Valley and splits against Uniontown
• May be mailed, e-mailed, faxed or hand delivered.
• Must be received by 9 a.m. on Tuesday morning in order to appear in that week's edition.
• Full obituaries submitted by individuals are required to be paid in advance.
• Obituaries submitted by funeral homes will be billed to the funeral home.
• Cost: $30 for 300 words or less. Each additional word over 300, 10¢. Photograph $5.
Call Barbara at 913-352-6235 or e-mail email@example.com