Linn County News
Published Aug. 5, 2020
Verna Louise Bright, age 84, Pleasanton, Kan., passed away on Thursday, July 30, 2020. She was born in rural La Cygne, Kan., the daughter of Roy E. and Phebie A. Griffin McCoy. Shortly after birth the family moved to Amoret, Mo. She attended Amoret schools until the family returned to Kansas. She then attended Pleasanton schools graduating Pleasanton High School in the class of 1952. She went on to Pittsburg State Teacher’s College. Upon graduation, she began teaching, which she did for several years.
Verna and Jack Bright were united in marriage on May 20, 1956. She was a faithful and loyal member of the Amoret and Pleasanton Presbyterian Church. Verna was talented in many areas. She sewed and crocheted, often making items for her nieces and nephews. She enjoyed decorating cakes. She even decorated a special one for her and Jack’s 50th Wedding Anniversary. Verna enjoyed writing poetry, hummingbirds and camping with Jack. For many years, they were snowbirds, traveling to Texas and Arizona.
She was preceded in death by her parents; two brothers, Richard and LeRoy McCoy; and two sisters, Barbara Causey and Melissa Spellmeier. Verna is survived by her husband, Jack; a sister, Patricia Jennings; sisters-in law Colleen Troth and husband Marion, and Kathy McCoy; and many nieces, nephews, extended family and friends.
Funeral service was scheduled at 2 p.m. Tuesday, Aug. 4, 2020, at the Schneider Funeral Home and Crematory, Pleasanton Chapel, burial in the Woodfin Cemetery. Visitation was to be held from 6-7 p.m. Monday, Aug. 3, 2020, at the Schneider Pleasanton Chapel. Contributions are suggested to the Pleasanton Presbyterian Church. Online condolences can be left at www.schneiderfunerals.com.
Linn County News Published Oct. 27, 2021 Sammy Lee Meyer, affectionately known as "Snuffy", age 67, Mound City, Kan., passed away Tuesday, Oct. 19, 2021. He was born on April 9, 1954, in Paola, Kan., the son of Richard Arnold and Marie June Lockhart... [More]
Linn County News Published Oct. 27, 2021 William Clark “Gable” McKay of Harrisonville Mo., formerly of Plattsburg, Mo., passed away Tuesday Oct. 19, 2021. He was born on July 26, 1939, and was raised by John and Nola Williams at Mound City,... [More]
Linn County News Published Oct. 20, 2021 Michael Allen Bishop, age 74 of Grove, Okla., formerly of Blue Mound, Kan., passed away Saturday, Oct. 9, 2021. He was born the son of Jacob T. and Erma O. Giffin Bishop on Jan. 29, 1947, at Blue Mound, Kan. Mike... [More]
- Joseph Michael Dellinger 01-17-1950 to 08-20-2021
- Brett Michael Johnson 07-10-1995 to 12-12-2020
- Thomas Franklin “T.F.” Edmonds 01-14-1928 to 11-06-2020
- Vernon LeRoy “Roy” Massey 02-09-1922 to 10-07-2020
- Margaret Eileen Wier 02-15-1943 to 09-21-2020
- Elynor Ann Miller 08-28-1924 to 08-02-2020
- James J. Shannon Robinson 03-29-1980 to 08-01-2020
- Charles William “Bill” Atwood Jr. 05-31-1927 to 07-29-2020
Bond revoked, remanded to custody Daniel Brenneman appeared in Linn County District Court in front of Senior Judge Gunnar Sundby on Monday, Oct. 18, to contest the results of a competency evaluation for Case LN-2020-CR-218, and for a hearing on the revocation of his bond due... [More]
Following news that the former Cox Motor Co. building was going to become the home of the new trade school, the Pleasanton City Council signed an agreement to sell real estate Monday evening at their regular meeting. City Attorney Burton Harding told the council that the city... [More]
City share of federal ARPA funds could help with fiber optics Parker leaders discussed a proposal by Peoples Telecommunications LLC, La Cygne, to bring broadband internet to the city. At the monthly council meeting last Thursday, Cherry Buckley, city clerk, informed... [More]
- SPECIAL: Linn County Sheriff's Office seeking identification of subject
- La Cygne awards bid for settling pond project
- Commissioners approve roof bid for fire stations
- Christmas in Linn County
- New quarantine guidelines announced, software approved for Health Department
- Wreck leaves local attorney injured
- Commissioners opt to leave mask decision to school boards
- USD 362 sets new bond election date
The Pleasanton volleyball team finished their regular season this past week with games on Oct. 12, Oct. 14 and Oct. 16. On Oct. 12 the Lady Jays faced league foes Chetopa and Marmaton Valley at Chetopa. Pleasanton defeated Chetopa in two sets, 25-22 and 25-22, but lost to Marmaton... [More]
This Prairie View football season has been marked by injury attrition to projected starters among its 19 rostered seniors. Kyle Waterman has missed the entire season with a summer-scrimmage leg injury, and Micah Eastwood’s campaign is now finished because of a collarbone.... [More]
- 2021 All Linn County baseball team
- Jayhawk softball falls to Belle Plaine at State
- Briley Moore finds NFL home as undrafted free agent
- Pleasanton track competes at Jayhawk Invitational
- Pleasanton baseball starts season with a pair of walk-off thrillers against Oswego
- Prairie View, Pioneer League ponder Baldwin addition
- Pleasanton girls’ basketball hopes for good season with young but experienced team
- Prairie View football has multiple players on the All Pioneer League team
• May be mailed, e-mailed, faxed or hand delivered.
• Must be received by 9 a.m. on Tuesday morning in order to appear in that week's edition.
• Full obituaries submitted by individuals are required to be paid in advance.
• Obituaries submitted by funeral homes will be billed to the funeral home.
• Cost: $30 for 300 words or less. Each additional word over 300, 10¢. Photograph $5.
Call Barbara at 913-352-6235 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org