Linn County News
Published Dec. 30, 2020
Wanda Rose Stainbrook, age 100, La Cygne, Kan., passed away on Friday, Dec. 25, 2020. She was born in La Cygne on Sept. 14, 1920, the daughter of Elmer and Ethel Faye Rose Diediker. She graduated from La Cygne High School in the Class of 1938. She was united in marriage to Roy Stainbrook on Dec. 24, 1938.
He preceded her in death on July 25, 1999. She was also preceded in death by her parents; a brother, Elmer J. Diediker; and a sister, Wilma Jamison.
Wanda and Roy owned and operated an auto parts store in Osawatomie, Kan. In 1945 they began operation of Stainbrook's Store in La Cgyne. She was known to be very meticulous in how the store was cleaned and maintained.
Wanda was a member of the La Cygne United Methodist Church where she taught Sunday School for many years, United Methodist Women, Delta Sigma Chi Bridge Club, P.E.O. Chapter C.V., and the La Cygne Community Betterment Association. She was a loyal supporter of the La Cygne Alumni Association.
She is survived by a son, Terry Stainbrook and wife Joyce; two grandchildren, Tara Allen and husband Chad, and Scott Stainbrook and wife Heather; and five great-grandchildren, Brooke, Kate and Bree Allen, and Benton and Brady Stainbrook. The family wishes to extend a thank you to anyone who helped care for Wanda, especially her long term care givers, Doris Jean McElreath, Carol Stainbrook, Kelly Burton, Rochelle Baker, Beverly Rhynerson-Smith, and Jennifer Shay.
Funeral service was held at 11 a.m. Monday, Dec. 28, 2020, at the Schneider Funeral Home and Crematory, La Cygne Chapel. Burial followed in the Oak Lawn Cemetery. Contributions are suggested to the La Cygne Alumni Association or the La Cygne United Methodist Church. c/o Schneider Funeral Home, P.O. Box 304, La Cygne, Kan. 66040. Online condolences can be left at www.schneiderfunerals.com.
Linn County News Published Jan. 27, 2021 John William Frazee, age 90, La Cygne, Kan., passed away Wednesday, Jan. 20, 2021. He was born on March 1, 1930, in Hickman Mills, Mo., the son of John M. and Beulah M. Tull Frazee. He worked as a very accomplished... [More]
Linn County News Published Jan. 27, 2021 Shirley Naoma Bennett 85, of Bolivar, Mo., peacefully passed away on Tuesday, Jan. 19, 2021, at CMH in Bolivar, Mo. She leaves behind her husband of 60 years, John W. Bennett; three children, Gary R. Bennett (Paula) of... [More]
Linn County News Published Jan. 27, 2021 Wayne Dean Clay, age 69, DeSoto, Kan., passed away on Tuesday, Jan. 19, 2021. Graveside funeral service will be 2 p.m. Saturday, Jan. 23, at the Pleasanton Cemetery. Visitation will be held from 1 p.m. until... [More]
- Brett Michael Johnson 07-10-1995 to 12-12-2020
- Thomas Franklin “T.F.” Edmonds 01-14-1928 to 11-06-2020
- Vernon LeRoy “Roy” Massey 02-09-1922 to 10-07-2020
- Margaret Eileen Wier 02-15-1943 to 09-21-2020
- Elynor Ann Miller 08-28-1924 to 08-02-2020
- James J. Shannon Robinson 03-29-1980 to 08-01-2020
- Charles William “Bill” Atwood Jr. 05-31-1927 to 07-29-2020
- Verna Louise Bright 09-06-1935 to 07-30-2020
The Kansas Department of Transportation (KDOT) plans to start work on a sidewalk project at Pleasanton on Tuesday, Jan. 19, weather permitting. New sidewalks will be constructed at the following locations: *Ash Street, from 15th Street north to West 10th Street. *West 10th... [More]
Says his position is part-time; hires paralegal Newly elected County Attorney Burton Harding told commissioners it had been a “whirlwind first week,” and noted that with over 200 cases set for this week alone he is working on clearing up some of the load.... [More]
The Silver Haired Legislature elections will be held on March 17, 2021. Linn County currently has no representative. The East Central Kansas Area Agency on Aging is seeking individuals who are age 60 and over in Linn County to run for this position. Information on the role and... [More]
- Commissioners approve roof bid for fire stations
- Christmas in Linn County
- New quarantine guidelines announced, software approved for Health Department
- Wreck leaves local attorney injured
- Commissioners opt to leave mask decision to school boards
- USD 362 sets new bond election date
- Cattle industry feeling the impact of COVID-19
- LC Sheriff’s Office joins Crimes Against Children Task Force
The Jayhawk wrestling team traveled to Uniontown on Jan. 12 to compete in a six team dual for the Three Rivers League championship. The six teams involved in the dual were Three Rivers’ members Jayhawk-Linn, Southeast Cherokee and Uniontown. The three other teams Burden... [More]
The Pleasanton girls’ basketball team traveled to Jayhawk-Linn on Jan. 12 to face the Lady Hawks in league competition. Both teams battled in a low scoring game but it was the Lady Jays who came out on top, 32-25. The game started with Pleasanton having an 11-4 first... [More]
- Prairie View, Pioneer League ponder Baldwin addition
- Pleasanton girls’ basketball hopes for good season with young but experienced team
- Prairie View football has multiple players on the All Pioneer League team
- Prairie View football starts playoffs strong with dominant win over Caney Valley
- Jayhawk football falls to West Franklin
- Pleasanton football falls to Olpe
- Pleasanton football falls in close game to Uniontown on Homecoming
- 2020 Linn County Fair and Rodeo queen candidates