Linn County News
Published Dec. 30, 2020
Wanda Rose Stainbrook, age 100, La Cygne, Kan., passed away on Friday, Dec. 25, 2020. She was born in La Cygne on Sept. 14, 1920, the daughter of Elmer and Ethel Faye Rose Diediker. She graduated from La Cygne High School in the Class of 1938. She was united in marriage to Roy Stainbrook on Dec. 24, 1938.
He preceded her in death on July 25, 1999. She was also preceded in death by her parents; a brother, Elmer J. Diediker; and a sister, Wilma Jamison.
Wanda and Roy owned and operated an auto parts store in Osawatomie, Kan. In 1945 they began operation of Stainbrook's Store in La Cgyne. She was known to be very meticulous in how the store was cleaned and maintained.
Wanda was a member of the La Cygne United Methodist Church where she taught Sunday School for many years, United Methodist Women, Delta Sigma Chi Bridge Club, P.E.O. Chapter C.V., and the La Cygne Community Betterment Association. She was a loyal supporter of the La Cygne Alumni Association.
She is survived by a son, Terry Stainbrook and wife Joyce; two grandchildren, Tara Allen and husband Chad, and Scott Stainbrook and wife Heather; and five great-grandchildren, Brooke, Kate and Bree Allen, and Benton and Brady Stainbrook. The family wishes to extend a thank you to anyone who helped care for Wanda, especially her long term care givers, Doris Jean McElreath, Carol Stainbrook, Kelly Burton, Rochelle Baker, Beverly Rhynerson-Smith, and Jennifer Shay.
Funeral service was held at 11 a.m. Monday, Dec. 28, 2020, at the Schneider Funeral Home and Crematory, La Cygne Chapel. Burial followed in the Oak Lawn Cemetery. Contributions are suggested to the La Cygne Alumni Association or the La Cygne United Methodist Church. c/o Schneider Funeral Home, P.O. Box 304, La Cygne, Kan. 66040. Online condolences can be left at www.schneiderfunerals.com.
Linn County News Published Dec. 8, 2021 Lawrence “Burt” Burton Holt, 80, of Lenexa, Kan., passed away on Dec. 1, 2021. Burt is survived by his wife, Sandra, and stepson, Curtis (Shelli); son, Dalton (Sherri), grandson, Tyler, and granddaughter,... [More]
Linn County News Published Dec. 8, 2021 Patricia Pauline (Holt) Ratliff, 79, of Cameron, Mo., passed away Nov. 24, 2021. She was born Aug. 3, 1942, in Kansas City, Kan. She married Clifton Ray Ratliff on March 17, 2001, in Turney, Mo. Patricia is... [More]
Linn County News Published Nov. 24, 2021 Kristina Diane Roth, age 43, of Hesston, Kan., entered her heavenly home on Sunday, Nov. 21, 2021. Kris was born March 11, 1978, the daughter of Robert (Bob) and Diane Burnett in Garnett, Kan., and lived with her family in... [More]
- Joseph Michael Dellinger 01-17-1950 to 08-20-2021
- Brett Michael Johnson 07-10-1995 to 12-12-2020
- Thomas Franklin “T.F.” Edmonds 01-14-1928 to 11-06-2020
- Vernon LeRoy “Roy” Massey 02-09-1922 to 10-07-2020
- Margaret Eileen Wier 02-15-1943 to 09-21-2020
- Elynor Ann Miller 08-28-1924 to 08-02-2020
- James J. Shannon Robinson 03-29-1980 to 08-01-2020
- Charles William “Bill” Atwood Jr. 05-31-1927 to 07-29-2020
Going through bills at their Monday County Commission meeting, the commissioners approved two claims in the amount of $14,409.41 and $318,935.17 but questioned a bill in the amount of $7,500 paid last week to Debrick Truck Line of Paola for shipping an MRAP (Mine-Resistant Ambush... [More]
Republican candidate for state treasurer, state Sen. Caryn Tyson of rural Parker has received national recognition as legislator of the year for her leadership and work on Property Tax Transparency, Senate Bill (SB) 13. Tyson researched and led an effort in Kansas to stop automatic... [More]
Former Pleasanton City Council member Ginger Neal-Cox, 203 E. Fourth St., appeared before the Pleasanton Council Monday evening to inform them of an aggressive dog that bit her daughter in November and asked that the aggressive dog ordinance be stiffened. She said that on Nov.... [More]
- SPECIAL: Linn County Sheriff's Office seeking identification of subject
- La Cygne awards bid for settling pond project
- Commissioners approve roof bid for fire stations
- Christmas in Linn County
- New quarantine guidelines announced, software approved for Health Department
- Wreck leaves local attorney injured
- Commissioners opt to leave mask decision to school boards
- USD 362 sets new bond election date
The Pleasanton basketball teams started their season on Dec. 3 with a home game against Kansas City Christian (KCC). The girls fed off a good defensive performance to win their game 36-18. KCC was too much for the boys, however, as they lost their game 70-35. The girls’... [More]
Jayhawk-Linn basketball teams lost competitive games in their season openers Friday at Cass-Midway, Mo. How each varsity team reached its final verdict, however, came from a different angle. Down by as many as 12 points halfway through the second quarter, the Lady Jayhawks... [More]
- Hume splits home season openers
- Marais des Cygnes 4-H members compete at national judging contests
- 2021 All Linn County baseball team
- Jayhawk softball falls to Belle Plaine at State
- Briley Moore finds NFL home as undrafted free agent
- Pleasanton track competes at Jayhawk Invitational
- Pleasanton baseball starts season with a pair of walk-off thrillers against Oswego
- Prairie View, Pioneer League ponder Baldwin addition
• May be mailed, e-mailed, faxed or hand delivered.
• Must be received by 9 a.m. on Tuesday morning in order to appear in that week's edition.
• Full obituaries submitted by individuals are required to be paid in advance.
• Obituaries submitted by funeral homes will be billed to the funeral home.
• Cost: $30 for 300 words or less. Each additional word over 300, 10¢. Photograph $5.
Call Barbara at 913-352-6235 or e-mail email@example.com