Linn County News
Published Feb. 2, 2022
Wilbur Stainbrook, age 94, La Cygne, Kan., passed away Sunday, Jan. 30, 2022. He was born on the family farm near La Cygne on May 12, 1927, the son of Charles Fredrick and Ruth Earline Stevens Stainbrook. He graduated from La Cygne High School in the Class of 1946. He was united in marriage to Ruth Ellen Carothers on Aug. 16, 1950. He was a farmer and raised cattle and hogs. He was also a talented plasterer, earning the nick name Mud Dauber. Wilbur was a member of the La Cygne United Methodist Church. He was also involved in the community as well. Some of the organizations he was involved with include the Masonic Lodge, Rural Water Board and the Linn County Farm Bureau Board.
He was preceded in death by his parents; five brothers, Daniel, Kenneth, Donald, Charles and James; one sister, Mary Ellen Noel; a son-in-law, Scott Allen; one grandson, Brandon Stainbrook; and a great-grandson, Michael Allen.
Wilbur is survived by his wife, Ruth Ellen; a son, Keith Stainbrook (Michele); two daughters, Doris Jean McElreath (Danny), and Joyce Allen; a brother, Robert Stainbrook; two sisters, Donna Good and Marilyn Masoner; grandchildren; and great-grandchildren.
Funeral service will be held 2 p.m. Friday, Feb. 4, 2022, at the La Cygne United Methodist Church. Burial will be in the Oak Lawn Cemetery. Visitation will be held 5-7 p.m. Thursday, Feb. 3, at the Schneider Funeral Home and Crematory, La Cygne Chapel. Memorial contributions are suggested to the La Cygne United Methodist Church or the Cadmus Grange. Online condolences can be left at www.schneierfunerals.com.
Linn County News Published November 30, 2022 Mildred Irene Brandt, age 83, of Miami, Okla., formerly of Parker, Kan., passed away Nov. 21, 2022, at Integris Hospital, Miami, Okla. Irene was born Aug. 6, 1939, in Kansas, the daughter of Otis and Josephine (Ingram) Diehm.... [More]
Linn County News Published November 23, 2022 Christina A. Creighton Turner, 84, passed away Nov. 19, 2022. She was born Dec. 8, 1937 in Centerville, Kan., to Eva Shafer and Roy Bowman. On Dec. 18, 1955, she married John Creighton; they had four children together before his... [More]
Linn County News Published November 16, 2022 Edgar Wayne Moon, age 82 of La Cygne, Kan., passed away at his home on Saturday, Nov. 12, 2022. He was born the son of Chester and Evelyn (Van Liew) Moon on Aug. 14, 1940, in Lawrence, Kan. Edgar married Betty Talley on... [More]
- Joseph Michael Dellinger 01-17-1950 to 08-20-2021
- Brett Michael Johnson 07-10-1995 to 12-12-2020
- Thomas Franklin “T.F.” Edmonds 01-14-1928 to 11-06-2020
- Vernon LeRoy “Roy” Massey 02-09-1922 to 10-07-2020
- Margaret Eileen Wier 02-15-1943 to 09-21-2020
- Elynor Ann Miller 08-28-1924 to 08-02-2020
- James J. Shannon Robinson 03-29-1980 to 08-01-2020
- Charles William “Bill” Atwood Jr. 05-31-1927 to 07-29-2020
Request options be brought to next meeting During the meeting on Monday, Nov. 28, Linn County Commissioners heard from Landfill Manager Al Doan regarding multiple issues with the Solid Waste Department ranging from the current contract with Arcadia for hauling from... [More]
The Pleasanton City Council reviewed and approved a new trespass policy as provided by City Attorney Burton Harding during the Nov. 28 meeting. The policy sets out parameters for what is considered to be trespassing, as well as appropriate reactions. It notes specifically... [More]
Market Street is a proposed path between La Cygne coal, Wolf Creek nuclear plants Representatives from a Kansas City engineering firm last week presented plans for an Evergy underground conduit-cased fiber optics cable preliminarily proposed to run through La Cygne.... [More]
- Mayors, councils speak on infrastructure defunding proposal
- Mound City Council looks to add campsites to lake
- SPECIAL: Linn County Sheriff's Office seeking identification of subject
- La Cygne awards bid for settling pond project
- Commissioners approve roof bid for fire stations
- Christmas in Linn County
- New quarantine guidelines announced, software approved for Health Department
- Wreck leaves local attorney injured
The 2022 high school football season concluded and it is time for the annual All Linn County football team. The team is decided by stats and watching the boys play. I also try to make the number of boys between schools as even as I can. This season was tough in deciding as... [More]
Ten days prior to their Linn County state border counterparts (including Valentine’s Day opponent Pleasanton), Hume began another promising basketball season Nov. 22 with a split decision at Appleton City. The Lady Hornets outscored their hosts in the first three quarters,... [More]
- Hume splits home season openers
- Marais des Cygnes 4-H members compete at national judging contests
- 2021 All Linn County baseball team
- Jayhawk softball falls to Belle Plaine at State
- Briley Moore finds NFL home as undrafted free agent
- Pleasanton track competes at Jayhawk Invitational
- Pleasanton baseball starts season with a pair of walk-off thrillers against Oswego
- Prairie View, Pioneer League ponder Baldwin addition
• May be mailed, e-mailed, faxed or hand delivered.
• Must be received by 9 a.m. on Tuesday morning in order to appear in that week's edition.
• Full obituaries submitted by individuals are required to be paid in advance.
• Obituaries submitted by funeral homes will be billed to the funeral home.
• Cost: $30 for 300 words or less. Each additional word over 300, 10¢. Photograph $5.
Call Barbara at 913-352-6235 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org