Linn County News
Published Nov. 23, 2016
William J "Bill" Johnston, age 86, Paola, Kan., formerly of La Cygne, Kan., passed away on Tuesday, Nov. 15, 2016, at St. Luke's South. He was born at Drexel, Mo., on May 12, 1930, the son of Clifford and Mabel McMeins Johnston.
He married Alladene Mooney on April 14, 1951 at Huntsville, Ark. He worked for General Motors and was a member of the United Auto Workers. In addition to working at GM, Bill, farmed and raised livestock. He enjoyed a good rodeo as well.
He was preceded in death by his parents; infant son; two brothers, LaVaughn and Johnny Johnston; and two sisters, Arlene Harvey and Erlene Kraighead.
Bill is survived by his wife Alladene; two sons, William L. Johnston and Larry A. Johnston Sr.; a daughter, Linda Johnston; five grand and 11 great-grandchildren.
Funeral service will be held 1:30 p.m. Saturday, Nov. 19, 2016, at the Schneider Funeral Home and Crematory, La Cygne Chapel. Burial in the Oak Lawn Cemetery. Visitation will be held from 5-7 p.m. Friday, Nov. 18, 2016, at the Schneider La Cygne Chapel. The family suggests contributions to Care to Share. Online condolences for the family may be left at www.schneiderfunerals.com. Arrangements: Schneider Funeral Home and Crematory, La Cygne Chapel.
Linn County News Published Oct. 11, 2023 Our dear father, Victor Gene Clark, passed away at his home in Mound City, Kan., on Monday, Oct. 2, 2023. Vic was 85 years old. Vic was born in Medicine Lodge, Kan., on Aug. 23, 1938, to parents Mary Jane (Sharp)... [More]
Linn County News Published Oct. 11, 2023 On the afternoon of May 28, 2023, LaVerne C. Nelson (nee Smith), with her steadfast daughter Renee’ by her side, succumbed to the ravages of dementia just a few weeks shy of her 88th birthday. This determined woman... [More]
Linn County News Published Oct. 4, 2023 Vanetta Carol (Hardy) Sabine passed away peacefully at Freeman Hospital in Joplin, Mo., at 5:42 a.m. on Friday, Sept. 29, 2023. She was born June 27, 1944, in Garnett, Kan., to William Orland and Ella Bernice “Margaret”... [More]
- Daniel Glen Needham ~ 10-30-1945 to 09-06-2023
- Phyllis Irene Best ~ 04-24-1948 to 09-14-2023
- Jean Frances Patterson ~ 06-27-1937 to 09-11-2023
- Roland Jerome “Jerry” Rowe ~ 01-18-1928 to 09-12-2023
- Cammie Lee Hines ~ 06-19-1962 to 09-03-2023
- Helen Yvonne Bruce ~ 08-16-1930 to 09-07-2023
- Delbert Alan Cannon ~ 01-28-1958 to 09-09-2023
- Wayne Barber Ellis ~ 06-20-1944 to 09-07-2023
2-0 vote occurs after Commission chairman departs Linn County commissioners have agreed to return comprehensive-plan solar farm regulations to its Planning and Zoning (P&Z) board for further consideration that will include a yet-to-be-determined open-hearing public... [More]
The Pleasanton Council’s normal every-other-week meeting began with a sales tax initiative hearing so patrons could ask questions of the council concerning the one-cent sales tax proposal coming on November’s ballot. No questions were asked from the small crowd;... [More]
Celebration theme is “Back to Our Roots” The annual General Pleasonton Days celebration is set for this coming Saturday and Sunday and in many ways is stepping back. The theme for this year’s event is “Back to Our Roots” and with that... [More]
- Potential solar contractors answer questions
- Audience members request one year moratorium on solar farms
- USD 362 sells construction class house
- La Cygne passes past-debated action items
- Commercial solar panels top Planning and Zoning Commission meeting
- Commissioners put attorney on retainer for solar matters
- Parker to use ARPA funds for cam installment
- Boil Water Advisory Issued for City of Pleasanton, Linn County
Prairie View’s Buffalos have put Class 3-A, District 2 football on notice. They are in it to win it. In the shadow of their own goal posts thrice in the first half, the Buff defense each time held Girard from scoring and ignited a 21-0 road win over the district-favorite... [More]
The Pleasanton football team traveled to Cherokee on Sept. 29 to play Three Rivers League foe Southeast Cherokee. Pleasanton had no problems with the Lancers as they won the game 42-6. The Jays scored a total of six touchdowns on Cherokee. The first touchdown was a 27 yard... [More]
- Pleasanton cross country competes at Prairie View and Humboldt
- Jayhawk cross country has some top placers at Prairie View
- Jayhawk Linn routs Uniontown in home opener
- Pleasanton volleyball has a busy week
- Prairie View cross country performs well at Wellsville
- Pleasanton football routs Northeast Arma
- Big Buffalo rally falls just short
- Jayhawk football dominates first two games
• May be mailed, e-mailed, faxed or hand delivered.
• Must be received by 9 a.m. on Tuesday morning in order to appear in that week's edition.
• Obituaries submitted by funeral homes will be billed to the funeral home.
• Full obituaries submitted by individuals are required to be paid in advance.
• Cost: $40 for 300 words or less. Each additional word over 300, 10¢. Photograph $5.
Call Barbara at 913-352-6235 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org