Linn County News
Published December 14, 2022
Alice Christeen McNabb, 96, of Parsons, died at 2:35 a.m., Saturday, Dec. 10, 2022. She was born in Worland, Mo., on Nov. 13, 1926, to Olen and Mary (Jacobs) Jackson. Her family moved several times throughout her childhood during the Great Depression, but she graduated from high school while living in Pleasanton, Kan.
Alice married Henry I. McNabb on Aug. 16, 1946, in Paola, Kan., and began her life as a farmer’s wife and homemaker, both in rural Mound City and later at Trading Post. She and Henry were known for their flexibility in making homemade ice cream or homemade donuts on a moment’s notice; she was an excellent baker. Alice was also quite talented at playing cards and other games.
Participation in farm life included being part of 4-H, a member of a Home Demonstration Unit (HDU) and The Grange. Alice planted and tended a large garden each year from which she canned hundreds of jars of vegetables. She was an outstanding seamstress, making most of the family’s clothes; she also excelled at hand quilting. Nearing retirement, she took up oil painting.
As the children became older, Alice went to work for the Observer Enterprise, now the Linn County News, where she worked as a typesetter, typist, bookkeeper, compositor, and small press operator. She retired from there after 26 years.
She was a member of the First Christian Church of Pleasanton, where she taught Sunday school for 40 years, served as treasurer, and was a member of the Christian Women’s Fellowship. She was also a district representative for the Disciples of Christ. She later joined the First Presbyterian Church of Parsons. At the Presbyterian Manor she sat on the residents’ council, serving two years as president, and started and led exercise classes for the Assisted Living residents.
Alice was preceded in death in 1972 by her loving husband Henry (who liked to hold her little finger as they walked); her parents; brother Edward Dean Jackson; and sister Betty Louise McNabb.
She is survived by her three children, David H. McNabb, PhD. and his wife Irene Obrok of Edmonton, Alberta, Canada; Ann Kennett-Charles and her husband Hugh of Parsons; and Karen Hawkins and her husband Mackie of Cumming, Ga. She is also survived by three grandchildren, Tyler Kennett, Parsons; Dustie Hawkins of Cumming, Ga.; Kerrie Hawkins of Cumming, Ga.; four bonus-grandchildren; and four great-grandchildren.
Services will be held at the Presbyterian Manor Chapel on Monday, Dec. 19, 2022, at 10 a.m. A graveside service will be held at Woodland Cemetery, Mound City, Kan., at 12:30 p.m. In lieu of flowers, memorials may be made to the Labette Emergency Assistance Center or Presbyterian Church Angel Shoes, and these may be left at or mailed to the Carson-Wall Funeral Home 112 N. 26th St., P.O. Box 942, Parsons, KS 67357. Online condolences may be left at www.wallfuneralservices.com.
Larry Ray Oliver ~ 07-12-1953 to 03-22-2023
Linn County News Published March 29, 2023 Larry Ray Oliver, age 69, Pleasanton, Kan., passed away on Wednesday, March 22, 2023. Funeral service will be at 6 p.m. on Saturday, March 25, 2023, at the Schneider Funeral Home and Crematory, Pleasanton Chapel. Visitation... [More]
Buford Wayne “Bud” Lindsey ~ 11-21-1934 to 03-15-2023
Linn County News Published March 22, 2023 Bud Lindsay, age 88 of Prescott, Kan., passed away peacefully at his home Wednesday, March 15, 2023. He was born the son of Esler Roy and Bessie Clara (Deckard) Lindsay at Lebanon, Mo. Bud loved racing, working on old... [More]
Vance Laverne Bruner ~ 07-01-1959 to 03-17-2023
Linn County News Published March 22, 2023 Vance Laverne Bruner, age 63, Mound City, Kan., passed away Friday, March 17, 2023, at his home. Memorial service will be held 2 p.m. Friday, March 24, 2023, at the Schneider Funeral Home and Crematory, Mound... [More]
- Curtis Eugene Virgin ~ 09-09-1944 to 03-14-2023
- Janice Ann Leasure Woodrum ~ 05-04-1948 to 03-05-2023
- Lewis Michael Wilson ~ 08-13-1952 to 03-05-2023
- Janet Dean Robinson Staton ~ 02-16-1939 to 03-08-2023
- Margaret Ellen McRae ~ 01-30-1932 to 03-06-2023
- C.H. Parker ~ 08-24-1942 to 03-06-2023
- Louise Shattuck ~ 11-28-1933 to 03-06-2023
- Larry Ray Thompson ~ 03-30-1949 to 02-28-2023
SPECIAL: Drug operation ends with six arrests in Miami and Linn counties
MIAMI & LINN COUNTY – On Wednesday morning, the Kansas Bureau of Investigation (KBI), the Miami County Sheriff’s Office, the Linn County Sheriff’s Office, the Osawatomie Police Department, and the Pleasanton Police Department arrested six individuals... [More]
Linn County Planning & Zoning Commission says no to windmills
After meetings discussing the Linn County Comprehensive Plan and where the county should be as to allowing wind turbines, the Linn County P&Z said no 5-3 to allowing any turbines in the county. P&Z Commission Chair Richard Morrell brought the subject up after several... [More]
Heartland REC introduces possible Linn County solar field
The Linn County Planning & Zoning Commission met Tuesday evening with the first speaker on the agenda recognized from Heartland Rural Electric Cooperative (REC). Tony Washington introduced himself and said Heartland REC is interested in building a solar field in Linn County;... [More]
- County appraiser reports on valuation increases
- One-cent sales tax coming on Pleasanton ballot
- SPECIAL: Pleasanton One-Cent Sales Tax Questions
- Commissioner’s discussion on wage options gets heated
- County discusses options for Pleasanton meal site
- Parker leaders consider truck route
- Council approves land grant for riding academy
- USD 362 selects new leader
2022-23 All County Boys’ Basketball team
The season for the Linn County high school boys’ basketball teams is over and it’s time for this year’s All County Boys’ Basketball team. This year, there is a first and second team with five players on each team from the three local high schools, Prairie... [More]
2022-23 All County Girls’ Basketball team
The season for the Linn County high school girls’ basketball teams is over and it’s time for this year’s All County Girls’ Basketball team. This year, there is a first and second team with five players on each team from the three local high schools,... [More]
- Linn County Twisters takes 13 to State, 5 place
- Lady Buffs win 1, fall in semifinals
- Pleasanton basketball falls in the first round of Sub-State
- White places sixth for Jayhawk wrestling at State
- Kline and Cox-Halliburton represent Prairie View at State
- Prairie View basketball splits against Anderson County
- Lady Hawks double up Altoona
- Pleasanton basketball defeats Bronaugh, falls to Cherokee
• May be mailed, e-mailed, faxed or hand delivered.
• Must be received by 9 a.m. on Tuesday morning in order to appear in that week's edition.
• Full obituaries submitted by individuals are required to be paid in advance.
• Obituaries submitted by funeral homes will be billed to the funeral home.
• Cost: $30 for 300 words or less. Each additional word over 300, 10¢. Photograph $5.
Call Barbara at 913-352-6235 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org