Barry Vohn Walker, 71, of Mound City, Kan., passed away Friday, Sept. 18, 2015, from complications of heart disease. He was born in Sharon Springs, Kan., in the home of his parents, Paul Lauren Walker and Margaret Frances Thompson Walker.
Walker was preceded in death by his sister, Kathy Larson; his parents; and step-mother, Frances Margaret (Meg) Walker.
He was married at 19 years-of-age to Susan Miller and later married Jackie Emerson in 1985, divorcing in 2005.
Survivors include three sons, Barry Vohn Walker Jr. and wife, Karen, Darin Ray Walker and wife, Jennifer, and Kyle Andrew Walker and wife, Berenice; five grandchildren, Garrett, Taralyn and Carlin Walker, Hannah and Maggie Walker.
Walker was a real estate broker for many years before moving into the auctioneering business. He worked with the U.S. Customs Service and Border Patrol on nationwide contracts selling seized items.
In 2000, he and his former wife, Jackie, purchased the Linn County News in Pleasanton, Kan. He sold his portion of the paper in 2005; he ran Linn County Realty which he had purchased in 2004 for several years before selling the business back to Paul Myers.
Walker held several political positions in the county; the first when he became mayor of Pleasanton in 2002, a position he held for two years; then achieving a life-long goal to be in law enforcement, in 2008 he became sheriff of Linn County and served until 2012.
Barry was a forward-thinking man that brought progress to the county on many fronts. He was also a benevolent man that tried to help those who were less fortunate.
A small memorial was held Sunday, Oct. 11, 2015, for Linn County friends who wished to visit with son Kyle. Barry will be inurned at the Sharon Springs Cemetery in Sharon Springs, Kan. Services are scheduled for later in November.
Condolences may be sent to Kyle Walker at 1701 Town Crossing Blvd., #1131, Mansfield, TX 76063.
Linn County News Published Sept. 22, 2021 Wilhelmina “Billie” Rose Suddock, age 90, of Wichita, Kan., died Thursday, Sept. 16, 2021. In lieu of flowers, the family requests donations to the Home Health & Hospice of Kansas. Rosary... [More]
Published in the Linn County News Sept. 22, 2021 Virgil Elmer Spencer, age 82, Mound City, Kansas passed away Friday, Sept.17, 2021. He was born on August 8, 1939 in rural Mound City, Kan. the son of Elmer Allen and Thelma Barker Spencer. ... [More]
Troy E. Mitchell, age 87, of Pleasanton, Kan. passed away in Overland Park, Kan.on Friday, Sept. 17, 2021. Troy was born the son of Jesse James and Naomi Folsom Mitchell on June 23, 1934 in Kansas City, Kan. He married Ruby Venable on October 4, 1951... [More]
- Joseph Michael Dellinger 01-17-1950 to 08-20-2021
- Brett Michael Johnson 07-10-1995 to 12-12-2020
- Thomas Franklin “T.F.” Edmonds 01-14-1928 to 11-06-2020
- Vernon LeRoy “Roy” Massey 02-09-1922 to 10-07-2020
- Margaret Eileen Wier 02-15-1943 to 09-21-2020
- Elynor Ann Miller 08-28-1924 to 08-02-2020
- James J. Shannon Robinson 03-29-1980 to 08-01-2020
- Charles William “Bill” Atwood Jr. 05-31-1927 to 07-29-2020
For immediate release: September 22, 2021 On September 21, 2021, The Linn County Sheriff’s Office was given information that a student at Pleasanton USD #344 was bringing a knife to school. Information led Deputies to believe that the student may want to harm others.... [More]
By JACKIE TAYLOR Linn County News firstname.lastname@example.org After Linn County Sheriff Kevin Friend spoke on School Resource Officer (SRO) activity, County Commissioner Jim Johnson commented at their Monday meeting that the commissioners needed to clear... [More]
By JACKIE TAYLOR Linn County News email@example.com Continuing their discussion concerning annexation at their Monday meeting, the City Council spoke of Pleasanton resident Kimberly Campbell’s request for voluntary annexation... [More]
- SPECIAL: Linn County Sheriff's Office seeking identification of subject
- La Cygne awards bid for settling pond project
- Commissioners approve roof bid for fire stations
- Christmas in Linn County
- New quarantine guidelines announced, software approved for Health Department
- Wreck leaves local attorney injured
- Commissioners opt to leave mask decision to school boards
- USD 362 sets new bond election date
LINN COUNTY NEWS NEWSPAPERSRME@yahoo.com After losing their first three games, including by 30-6 at Uniontown last Friday, Pleasanton’s Blu-Jays will be looking to score first when they host Troy at 7 p.m. this Friday in a non-district matchup. “We... [More]
LINN COUNTY NEWS firstname.lastname@example.org The Prairie View football team continues to perform at a high level as they hosted Parsons on Sept. 17. The Buffalos took control of the game early on both sides of the ball, which led to an eventual 38-14 victory.... [More]
- 2021 All Linn County baseball team
- Jayhawk softball falls to Belle Plaine at State
- Briley Moore finds NFL home as undrafted free agent
- Pleasanton track competes at Jayhawk Invitational
- Pleasanton baseball starts season with a pair of walk-off thrillers against Oswego
- Prairie View, Pioneer League ponder Baldwin addition
- Pleasanton girls’ basketball hopes for good season with young but experienced team
- Prairie View football has multiple players on the All Pioneer League team
• May be mailed, e-mailed, faxed or hand delivered.
• Must be received by 9 a.m. on Tuesday morning in order to appear in that week's edition.
• Full obituaries submitted by individuals are required to be paid in advance.
• Obituaries submitted by funeral homes will be billed to the funeral home.
• Cost: $30 for 300 words or less. Each additional word over 300, 10¢. Photograph $5.
Call Barbara at 913-352-6235 or e-mail email@example.com