Carl Dean Ward, 78, of Lawrence, formerly of Topeka, passed away Thursday, Aug. 11, 2016.
He was born in Linn County, near Blue Mound, Kan., the son of Harry and Dorothy (McAdam) Ward. He graduated from Mound City High School, with the class of 1955.
Carl began his printing career at age 14 with the Mound City weekly newspaper, then Centralia weekly newspaper and the Lawrence Journal-World. He retired from Mainline Printing in Topeka after 40 years of employment. Carl was a member of Stull United Methodist Church. He enjoyed traveling after retirement.
Carl married Irma Shattuck May 23, 1958, in Prescott, Kan. She survives of the home. Other survivors include their three children Rachel (Stan) Bachman of Overland Park, Kan., Lynelle (Dave) Foust of Topeka, Kan., Dean (Ginger) Ward of Lakeville, Minn.; two sisters Linda Klee and Carol Klopfenstein both of Mound City, Kan.; two brothers Richard Klopfenstein of Mound City and Doug Klopfenstein of Bremerton, Wash.; five grandchildren Chelsea (Greg) Torres, Kayla (David) Bennett, Carly Bachman, Evan Ward and Allison Ward; two great-grandsons Lucas and Isaac Torres; and many extended relatives and friends.
A funeral service will be held at 11 a.m. on Saturday, Aug. 20, 2016, at Stull United Methodist Church, 1596 E 250 Rd., Lawrence, Kan. A graveside service will be held at 4 p.m. at Prescott Cemetery, Prescott, Kan. The family will greet friends from 5–7 p.m. on Friday, Aug. 19, 2016, at Penwell-Gabel Mid-Town Chapel, 1321 SW 10th Ave, Topeka, KS 66604.
Memorial contributions may be made to Stull United Methodist Church, the Alzheimer’s Association, 3625 SW 29th Street, Suite 102, Topeka, KS 66614 or Midland Hospice House, 200 SW Frazier Circle, Topeka, KS 66606.
Published in the Linn County News Karen Joyce Hughes Kidwell, 73, of Linn Valley, Kan. passed away September 10th at her home. She was born Sept. 9, 1948 in Kansas City, Kan. She was a graduate of Shawnee Mission North High School, Bethany Hospital... [More]
Linn County News Published Sept. 15, 2021 Leota Vondell Burris, age 85, Mound City, Kan., passed away on Thursday, Sept. 9, 2021. She was born in Marceline, Mo., on Aug. 30, 1936, the daughter of Thomas B. and Estel A. Watson Adams. She... [More]
Linn County News Published Sept. 15, 2021 Janet (Brown) Maschino, 64, of rural Pleasanton and Parsons, passed away peacefully at 3:13 a.m. Thursday, Sept. 9, 2021, at her daughter’s home in Erie. Janet’s story starts on March... [More]
- Joseph Michael Dellinger 01-17-1950 to 08-20-2021
- Brett Michael Johnson 07-10-1995 to 12-12-2020
- Thomas Franklin “T.F.” Edmonds 01-14-1928 to 11-06-2020
- Vernon LeRoy “Roy” Massey 02-09-1922 to 10-07-2020
- Margaret Eileen Wier 02-15-1943 to 09-21-2020
- Elynor Ann Miller 08-28-1924 to 08-02-2020
- James J. Shannon Robinson 03-29-1980 to 08-01-2020
- Charles William “Bill” Atwood Jr. 05-31-1927 to 07-29-2020
New IRS plan in $3.5 trillion spending package opens consumer checking accounts to federal oversight
By JACKIE TAYLOR Linn County News email@example.com Consumers beware as President Biden’s $3.5 trillion spending package advances through Congress as much of the cost will come from new oversight on personal checking accounts. The oversight... [More]
Former Cox Motor Co. building, potential site for school By JACKIE TAYLOR Linn County News firstname.lastname@example.org Entering executive session for data relating to partnerships, the Pleasanton City Council spent 50 minutes discussing a partnership... [More]
A hearing at Linn County District Court for 2019-CR-000210, State of Kansas versus Lonnie Shane Martin, was held Friday afternoon for a no go preliminary where Assistant County Attorney Justin Meeks informed District Judge Terri Johnson that the state was withdrawing... [More]
- SPECIAL: Linn County Sheriff's Office seeking identification of subject
- La Cygne awards bid for settling pond project
- Commissioners approve roof bid for fire stations
- Christmas in Linn County
- New quarantine guidelines announced, software approved for Health Department
- Wreck leaves local attorney injured
- Commissioners opt to leave mask decision to school boards
- USD 362 sets new bond election date
It’s been a bumpy start to the 2021 season for Jayhawk-Linn’s football team. A roster with 19 underclassmen (freshmen and sophomores) among its 32 members missed both their Aug. 27 home jamboree with Pleasanton and Erie because of COVID-19 and its scheduled... [More]
BY ADAM HOLT LINN COUNTY NEWS email@example.com The Prairie View cross country teams traveled to Fort Scott on Sept. 9 to compete in the Fort Scott Invitational. The Buffalos again performed well as the varsity girls won as a team. Head Coach Marcie Caldwell... [More]
- 2021 All Linn County baseball team
- Jayhawk softball falls to Belle Plaine at State
- Briley Moore finds NFL home as undrafted free agent
- Pleasanton track competes at Jayhawk Invitational
- Pleasanton baseball starts season with a pair of walk-off thrillers against Oswego
- Prairie View, Pioneer League ponder Baldwin addition
- Pleasanton girls’ basketball hopes for good season with young but experienced team
- Prairie View football has multiple players on the All Pioneer League team
• May be mailed, e-mailed, faxed or hand delivered.
• Must be received by 9 a.m. on Tuesday morning in order to appear in that week's edition.
• Full obituaries submitted by individuals are required to be paid in advance.
• Obituaries submitted by funeral homes will be billed to the funeral home.
• Cost: $30 for 300 words or less. Each additional word over 300, 10¢. Photograph $5.
Call Barbara at 913-352-6235 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org