Linn County News
Published May 27, 2020
Doris Louise (Dresker) Phillips, 97, passed away peacefully on May 15, 2020, in Atchison, Kan., with granddaughter Mlle Caudle by her side.
Doris was born on Oct. 3, 1922, to H.M. Dresker and Cora Belle (Guthrie) Dresker in Olathe, Kan. She grew up in Fontana, Kan., where her father owned a grocery store. She loved being able to eat all the candy and black walnut ice cream she wanted! Doris graduated from Fontana High School in 1940.
She was married to Robert Brocaw on July 31, 1940. They had two children together, Beverly (Larry) Brocaw Hamman and Chuck (Lynette) Brocaw. They later divorced.
Doris worked at Osawatomie State Hospital until moving with husband Don Hite to St. Joseph, Mo., in 1967. He passed away in 1970. She worked at Saint Joseph State Hospital from 1967-1972.
In 1972 Doris married Jim (Gramps) Phillips, and they lived in Columbia, Mo., for five years before traveling and living in their mobile fifth wheel for the next three years. They moved to Olathe, and then Pleasanton, Kan., before moving to Bendena, Kan., in 1995 where granddaughter Mlle (Neil) Caudle and children reside. She was a member of Troy Christian Church. After Jim passed away in 2000, Doris lived in Paola, Kan., Troy, Kan., and then Atchison.
Doris was loved by all. She lit up every room she was in with her infectious smile and spunky personality. Her family was her everything, and she was always quick to brag on them.
She was preceded in death by her parents; three brothers; two sisters; a son, Chuck; daughter-in-law Lynette; and grandsons Trent, Christopher and Brandon Brocaw.
She leaves behind granddaughter Mlle (Neil) Caudle of Bendena; daughter Beverly (Larry) Brocaw Hamman of Raleigh, N.C., and their daughters Danni (Steve) Bloom of Broad Run, Va., and Nicole (Josh) Brown of West End, N.C.; and seven great grandchildren.
The body has been cremated. A private family graveside service was to be set for a later date. Condolences can be sent to the family at:
Neil & Mlle Caudle family
657 Friendship Rd.
Bendena, KS 66008
Linn County News Published April , 2020 Howard "Carl" Francis, age 87, Blue Mound, Kan. passed away on Thursday, March 26, 2020. He was born on May 7, 1932 in Blue Mound, Kan. the son of Lonnie and Vesta Hopewell Francis. He graduated from... [More]
Published in the Linn County News Wednesday, Mar. 4, 2020 Margaret Alice Wilson, age 87, Paola, Kan. passed away on Sunday, Feb. 23, 2020. She was born on February 15, 1933 in Cass County, Mo. the daughter of Henry Earl(Ramey) Russell and Olive Darlene... [More]
Linn County News Published Feb. 26, 2020 Marion Earl Farley, age 86, Grandview, Mo., passed away Tuesday, Feb. 18, 2020, at Research Medical Center in Kansas City, Mo. He was born on Aug. 25, 1933, in Ottawa, Kan., the son of Homer and Cleo... [More]
- Chase Edward Augur 05-23-2002 to 07-04-2020
- Jimmie Allan Wier 09-24-1936 to 04-11-2020
- Roy Allen Miller 09-28-1941 to 06-13-2020
- H.E. “Gene” Brownback 11-22-1928 to 06-30-2020
- Helen May Benthusen 01-27-1919 to 06-30-2020
- Velma Eileen Crisler 06-21-1936 to 06-24-2020
- LeRoy Turpen, Sr. 01-17-1945 to 06-23-2020
- Kathryn A. “Kathy” Parks 05-10-1955 to 06-17-2020
Let’s continue our series on this week in baseball history. We will look at one historic event per day for the upcoming week in baseball. A full list for historic events in baseball for each day can be found at Nationalpastime.com. First African American MLB players... [More]
Following a presentation earlier in the year by Joey McLiney of McLiney and Co. concerning an attempt to lower the city’s interest rate on their bond debt, Kip Hart, representing the company, told the City Council of Mound City Monday night they’d have to raise sewer... [More]
Drought conditions across the state of Kansas prompted the governor to declare drought emergencies, and in preparation for lack of rain, Public Wholesale Water Supply District No. 13 (PWWSD No. 13) representative Kevin Hancock met with the Mound City Council Monday night and... [More]
- USD 362 sets new bond election date
- Cattle industry feeling the impact of COVID-19
- LC Sheriff’s Office joins Crimes Against Children Task Force
- Boicourt Bridge boat ramp closed – but state looks to replace it
- Property taxes still due in May
- SPECIAL: ORDER of the Linn County Public Health Officer
- BREAKING NEWS
- Steven Louis Finley 05-24-1966 to 06-15-2019
The Miami Express 16A softball team, which comprises multiple girls from Linn County and the surrounding areas, traveled to the Field of Dreams Complex in Basehor Linwood to compete in the MO/KAN USSSA Mega State Championship softball tournament. There were a total of 28 teams... [More]
The Miami Express softball teams took part in the Kansas USSSA State Softball Tournament this past weekend. Both the 14U B-team and the 16U team feature girls from Prairie View and Jayhawk-Linn, and both teams did exceptional at the tournament. The 14U team went 5-2 and placed... [More]
- This week in baseball history: June 24-30
- Several local boys’ baseball players compete on USSSA Rage teams out of Garnett
- The Chiefs’ off-season: the draft
- The Lost Season: Pleasanton track
- The Lost Season: Prairie View baseball
- 2019-2020 All County girls’ basketball team
- Wellsville loss finishes Lady Buffs’ season
- Jayhawk boys fall just short to Yates Center in sub-state tournament