Dwayne Charles Beckford was born July 20, 1949, in Riverside, Calif., to Andrew Beckford and Lucille Hillman Beckford. His father's military career took the family to many locations before finally settling in Mapleton, Kan. He graduated from Blue Mound High School in 1967 and Kansas State University in 1972. He married his high school sweetheart, Rita Hyson, in 1970. They had three daughters.
He spent over 30 years in the Army Reserves, retiring at the rank of Colonel in 2009. One of his final assignments was serving as the commander of the Lawrence Reserve Unit. He greatly enjoyed annual training in Alaska, spending time in a military leadership role. He also engaged in one of his favorite pastimes there, fishing.
Dwayne spent his civilian career teaching high school. He taught a range of subjects, including vocational agriculture, horticulture and science, as well as serving as an FFA advisor. He began teaching in Lakin, Kan., before moving to Jayhawk-Linn in Mound City. While at Mound City, Dwayne served on the city council, school board and the Sugar Mound Arts and Crafts Festival Committee. Dwayne was instrumental in helping to start the committee’s annual scholarship fund. He retired from teaching at Paola High School in 2010 after 21 years.
Dwayne was a lifelong learner, earning a master’s degree in science and continuing to take classes throughout his life. He enjoyed gardening, raising animals, fishing, reading and photography. He always had at least one dog, and often a flock of sheep or goats, as well as occasional cows or a donkey. He shared these interests with his daughters and later his grandchildren. He remained busy in retirement, serving on the Miami County Conservation Board, the election board and as Stanton Township Clerk. He was active in his local church.
He is remembered by others for his kind and generous nature and his faithfulness to the Bible and what he believed. Dwayne was a longtime donor to many charitable groups. He always sought to give back. He would encourage you to become an organ donor.
Dwayne left this life Sept. 12, 2019, surrounded by family.
He was preceded in death by his parents, as well as three brothers, Everett, Alan and David.
He is survived by Rita, his wife of 49 years; daughters Jody (Ken) Schroeder, Katie (J.R.) Lidgett and Megan (John) Withers; grandchildren Melissa, Anika, Lilly, Dillen and Isaac; brother Andrew Beckford and sister Leota Keller; and numerous nieces and nephews.
Contributions in Dwayne’s honor may be made to The Kansas City Foundation for Pulmonary Fibrosis or the Paola High School FFA chapter in care of the funeral home.
Visitation will be Thursday, Sept. 19, at Paola First Baptist Church from 5-7 p.m. The funeral service will be at 10 a.m. Friday, Sept. 20, also at the church. Burial will follow at the Mapleton Cemetery.
Debra Dale Wolf ~ 04-03-1954 to 03-22-2023
Linn County News Published March 29, 2023 Debra Dale Wolf, age 68, Linn Valley, Kan., passed away Wednesday, March 22, 2023. Graveside funeral service will be held 2 p.m. Wednesday, March 29, 2023, at the Trading Post Cemetery. Memorial contributions... [More]
Jessica Erin Cox ~ 11-15-1979 to 03-20-2023
Linn County News Published March 29, 2023 Jessica Erin Cox, beloved daughter, and granddaughter, passed away at her home in Lawrence, Kan., March 20, 2023. Jessica was born Nov. 15, 1979, at the University of Kansas Medical Center. She was a graduate of Shawnee... [More]
Larry Ray Oliver ~ 07-12-1953 to 03-22-2023
Linn County News Published March 29, 2023 Larry Ray Oliver, age 69, Pleasanton, Kan., passed away on Wednesday, March 22, 2023. Funeral service will be at 6 p.m. on Saturday, March 25, 2023, at the Schneider Funeral Home and Crematory, Pleasanton Chapel. Visitation... [More]
- Buford Wayne “Bud” Lindsey ~ 11-21-1934 to 03-15-2023
- Vance Laverne Bruner ~ 07-01-1959 to 03-17-2023
- Curtis Eugene Virgin ~ 09-09-1944 to 03-14-2023
- Janice Ann Leasure Woodrum ~ 05-04-1948 to 03-05-2023
- Lewis Michael Wilson ~ 08-13-1952 to 03-05-2023
- Janet Dean Robinson Staton ~ 02-16-1939 to 03-08-2023
- Margaret Ellen McRae ~ 01-30-1932 to 03-06-2023
- C.H. Parker ~ 08-24-1942 to 03-06-2023
Special: Governor issues declaration of disaster emergency due to threat of wildland fires
Governor Laura Kelly issued a verbal declaration of disaster emergency this morning, March 31, due to the potential for wildland fires and severe storms in the state. The declaration will allow the state to preposition assets for a quicker response to any fires... [More]
Commissioners discuss Pleasanton meal site options
During the latter part of the meeting on Monday, March 27, Linn County Commissioners discussed the walk-through on Wednesday, March 22 at the former Memaw’s Kitchen located at 6th and Main Streets in Pleasanton. Economic Development Director Jessica Hightower read notes... [More]
Linn Valley moves forward with water, sewer project
“Positive ramifications” for the city Following a 15-minute legal session called by Linn Valley Mayor Cindy Smith at their Monday meeting, the mayor announced a preliminary agreement with Rural Water District #1 for water rights in Linn Valley. Smith... [More]
- USD 362 leader asks to broaden policy
- SPECIAL: National Walking Day on Wednesday, April 5th
- SPECIAL: Drug operation ends with six arrests in Miami and Linn counties
- Linn County Planning & Zoning Commission says no to windmills
- Heartland REC introduces possible Linn County solar field
- County appraiser reports on valuation increases
- One-cent sales tax coming on Pleasanton ballot
- SPECIAL: Pleasanton One-Cent Sales Tax Questions
Prairie View competes at State Powerlifting meet
The Prairie View Buffalos competed in the State Powerlifting meet on March 25. The meet had 285 total lifters and the Buffalos took 16 boys and nine girls to the event. Prairie View had two lifters place second in their respective weight divisions at the meet. Rhett Jackman,... [More]
Jayhawk softball and baseball open season against Southeast Cherokee
The Jayhawk baseball and softball teams opened their 2023 season at home against Southeast Cherokee on March 27. Both softball and baseball teams played a double header and the boys split while the girls swept the Lancers. Baseball won their first game 3-0 but lost the second... [More]
- 2022-23 All County Girls’ Basketball team
- Jayhawk Wrestling Club has five place at State
- Linn County Twisters takes 13 to State, 5 place
- Lady Buffs win 1, fall in semifinals
- Pleasanton basketball falls in the first round of Sub-State
- White places sixth for Jayhawk wrestling at State
- Kline and Cox-Halliburton represent Prairie View at State
- Prairie View basketball splits against Anderson County
• May be mailed, e-mailed, faxed or hand delivered.
• Must be received by 9 a.m. on Tuesday morning in order to appear in that week's edition.
• Full obituaries submitted by individuals are required to be paid in advance.
• Obituaries submitted by funeral homes will be billed to the funeral home.
• Cost: $30 for 300 words or less. Each additional word over 300, 10¢. Photograph $5.
Call Barbara at 913-352-6235 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org