Linn County News
Published June 1,2022
Esther was born on a farm southeast of La Cygne on July 20, 1933. She was the second daughter to Bernard L. and Dorothy Lucille Good Phalen. She started her journey to be with her savior on May 29, 2022, at Olathe Health Hospice House.
Esther was preceded in death by her parents Bernard and Dorothy; sister
Betty Sue Phalen Eberts; and husband Walter Raymond Shields.
Esther is survived by her children Robert Bernard Johnston and wife Susan, Laura Dennae Shields Burke and William Alan Shields and wife Kelley; three grandsons, Corey Jason Burke and wife Natalie, Philip Phalen Johnston and wife Nikki and Matthew Vincent Johnston and wife Jacquie. She also leaves 8 very special great grand-children. Esther was very proud of her children and the wonderful families they created.
She gave up her senior year of high school to marry Roy Noble Johnston on July 22, 1951. To this union Robert Bernard Johnston was born May 30, 1953. Although they divorced in 1954 they remained lifelong friends. On Dec. 11, 1954, Esther married Walter Raymond Shields and to this union Laura Dennae Shields and William Alan Shields were born. Esther returned to school in the fall of 1962 graduating with the class of 1963. Even though this was a very busy year for her the accomplishment was well worth the effort and she made many lifelong friends.
Esther worked in many jobs over her years. In her teen years she worked for Grace Gettings in her café and helped her parents in the Mobil Gas station at 4th & Market Street. Other jobs included helping mom in Phalen’s Café, book keeper for Wade Quarry, City Clerk for both La Cygne and Pleasanton for nearly 25 years. She also catered alumni banquets as well as weddings and rehearsal dinners. She was also a certified Emergency Medical Technician working for both Linn County and Osawatomie Ambulance service. During the construction of the power plant she bought two houses along Market Street to provide rooms for construction workers along with most evening meals.
Esther had many special skills. Among them was singing which she shared
with her church and, as requested, many funerals and weddings. She also loved
to paint becoming a certified instructor. She set up shop in the old City Hall
building as Esther’s Easel, teaching and sharing her art with others. She was
also an avid quilter and her family and friends enjoy many of them.
She was always available for any project that would improve her home town, La Cygne. She volunteered her time to the La Cygne and Linn County Historical Society, La Cygne Alumni Board, Lincoln Township Secretary/Treasurer, Lincoln and Scott Township Hospital Board as well as the La Cygne City Council.
Funeral service will be 11 a.m. Saturday, June 4, 2022, at the Calvary Baptist Church, La Cygne, Kan. Burial will be in the Oak Lawn Cemetery. Visitation will be held from 5 to 7 p.m. Friday, June 3, at the Schneider Funeral Home and Crematory, La Cygne Chapel. Contributions are suggested to Calvary Baptist Church, La Cygne Historical Society or Olathe Hospice House. Online condolences can be left at www.schneiderfunerals.com.
Janice Ann Leasure Woodrum ~ 05-04-1948 to 03-05-2023
Linn County News Published March 15, 2023 Janice Ann Leasure Woodrum, Chehalis, Wash., formerly of La Cygne, Kan., passed March 5, 2023. Memorial service arrangements will be announced at a later date by the Schneider Funeral Home, La Cygne Chapel. ... [More]
Lewis Michael Wilson ~ 08-13-1952 to 03-05-2023
Linn County News Published March 15, 2023 Lewis Michael Wilson, age 70, Pleasanton, Kan., formerly of La Cygne, Kan., passed Sunday March 5, 2022. Memorial service will be 11 a.m. Thursday, March 16, 2023, at the Schneider Funeral Home and Crematory, La Cygne Chapel.... [More]
Janet Dean Robinson Staton ~ 02-16-1939 to 03-08-2023
Linn County News Published March 15, 2023 Janet Dean Robinson Staton, age 84, Cleveland, Mo., passed away Wednesday, March 8, 2023. Funeral service will be held 1 p.m. Monday, March 13, 2023, at the Schneider Funeral Home and Crematory, Pleasanton... [More]
- Margaret Ellen McRae ~ 01-30-1932 to 03-06-2023
- C.H. Parker ~ 08-24-1942 to 03-06-2023
- Louise Shattuck ~ 11-28-1933 to 03-06-2023
- Larry Ray Thompson ~ 03-30-1949 to 02-28-2023
- Harper Darleane Marie McCowin ~ 11-26-2022 to 02-24-2023
- Maribelle L. “Mary” Wiles ~ 03-27-1943 to 02-21-2023
- James Dean Allen ~ 08-10-1951 to 02-26-2023
- Janet Jolene Reed ~ 04-09-1963 to 02-20-2023
Commissioner’s discussion on wage options gets heated
During the tail-end discussion amongst commissioners at Monday’s meeting regarding wage increases, Commissioner Jason Hightower noted a plan presented by County Clerk David Lamb for a $1 per hour across the board raise rather than a percentage based raise, which some county... [More]
County discusses options for Pleasanton meal site
Commissioner Danny McCullough opened a discussion on the Pleasanton Senior Meals site during the March 13 meeting with a slideshow of photos he had taken of various issues in the current site. The photos showed a variety of issues that McCullough said he took from the viewpoint... [More]
Parker leaders consider truck route
Parker city leaders may consider a future action to establish a legal truck route within the city. Tim Griffin, past councilman, broached the topic at last Thursday’s monthly council meeting in asking for a follow-up to his truck-route question from the January council... [More]
- Council approves land grant for riding academy
- USD 362 selects new leader
- Preliminary study on landfill completed
- SPECIAL: Republicans hold convention for appointment of county attorney
- Lawsuit resulting from sexual abuse by SRO is settled by county
- Commission endorses museum grant application
- Pleasanton discusses airport taxes, inter-local dispatching agreements
- COVID mRNA shots circulate at least 28 days after injection
Jayhawk Wrestling Club has five place at State
The Jayhawk Wrestling Club went to the kid’s State wrestling tournament this past weekend, March 10-12, in Topeka. The team did very well taking seven wrestlers and five placing in the competition. Maggie Earnest, 8U Girls 70, placed second and scored 20 team points.... [More]
Linn County Twisters takes 13 to State, 5 place
The Linn County Twisters wrestling team took 13 wrestlers to the kid’s State wrestling tournament in Topeka March 10-12. The Twisters had five of their 13 wrestlers place in the tournament. Taryn Mills, HS Girls 130, was eliminated after two matches in the tournament.... [More]
- Pleasanton basketball falls in the first round of Sub-State
- White places sixth for Jayhawk wrestling at State
- Kline and Cox-Halliburton represent Prairie View at State
- Prairie View basketball splits against Anderson County
- Lady Hawks double up Altoona
- Pleasanton basketball defeats Bronaugh, falls to Cherokee
- SPECIAL: WE HAVE PHOTOS!
- Jayhawk wrestling wins TRL dual tournament
• May be mailed, e-mailed, faxed or hand delivered.
• Must be received by 9 a.m. on Tuesday morning in order to appear in that week's edition.
• Full obituaries submitted by individuals are required to be paid in advance.
• Obituaries submitted by funeral homes will be billed to the funeral home.
• Cost: $30 for 300 words or less. Each additional word over 300, 10¢. Photograph $5.
Call Barbara at 913-352-6235 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org