Linn County News
Published January 18, 2023
Fern Elizabeth (Dunlop) Knight, age 80, passed away Friday, Jan. 13, 2023. Fern was born in Paola, Kan., on Aug. 15, 1942, to Walter William and Nellie May (Long) Dunlop.
She graduated from Parker High School in 1960. Fern married the love of her life H. Roger Knight Nov. 2, 1962. Together, Roger and Fern worked at Reed Minerals in La Cygne, Kan., where Fern retired as the plant office administrator after a long and successful career.
Fern loved taking care of the workers at Reed Minerals and often made them homemade ice-cream to enjoy. Her multi tasking skills in the office were legendary. Fern spent most of her life in Linn County. She loved gardening, crocheting, crafting, antique shopping, doing puzzles, creating the Church bulletin, anything that required or could be done on a spreadsheet, and baking. For over 50 years, Fern baked Christmas goodies with her family. This tradition is continued by her children and grandchildren. Her favorite treat to make anytime of the year and share with others was peanut clusters. Fern and Roger loved playing cards and other games with family and friends. Fern enjoyed genealogy and was very proud of her Irish heritage. She had a strong connection with her Irish cousins; traveling to Northern Ireland three times and hosting cousins when they were in the United States.
Together with Roger, Fern adored her children and grandchildren. For many summers, Fern coached Renee in softball. They loved watching their children and grandchildren participate in activities and she was usually the voice that could be heard over the crowd as she cheered them on. She also loved watching Hallmark movies, the Chiefs, and KU men’s basketball. Elvis and the old country legends were heard playing in her house and car. Fern was a lifetime member of the Parker Eastern Star Organization. She was a member of the Blue Mound Federated Church where she actively served in various capacities. Faith and serving Christ were important to Fern and Roger throughout their lives.
Fern was preceded in death by her husband Roger; her parents; and four siblings: Eugene, Dorothy, Charles, and baby Dale. Fern is survived by son Rodney Roger Knight and wife Staci; daughter Renee Lichelle Crenshaw and husband Scott; grandchildren: Stephanie and husband Luke, Taylor and husband Ignacio, Megan and husband Isaac, Matthew and wife Laura and Kaitlyn; five great-grandchildren: Jordyn, Zach, Carter, Isaiah and Stark; a brother Raymond and wife Jessie Dunlop; sister in law Carolyn Dunlop; brother in law Warren Knight; and many nieces and nephews.
Visitation will be held Wednesday Jan.. 18, 2023, at Schneider Funeral Home, Mound City Chapel from 5-7 p.m. Services will be at 11 a.m. Thursday January 19, 2023, at Blue Mound Federated Church. Burial will follow in Centerville Cemetery, Centerville, Kan. A luncheon will be served at the Blue Mound Federated Church following internment.
The family suggests memorial contributions may be made to the Blue Mound Federated Church.
Linn County News Published September 20, 2023 Daniel Glen Needham took the long way home on Sept. 6, 2023, after fighting a long battle against cancer. We are sure he had to stop along the way and check out all the new fishing holes and visit with everyone he met... [More]
Linn County News Published September 20, 2023 Phyllis Irene Best, age 75, Grain Valley, Mo., passed away Thursday, Sept. 14, 2023. A graveside funeral service will be held 11 a.m. Wednesday, Sept. 20, 2023, at the Curry Cemetery. Visitation will be... [More]
Linn County News Published September 20, 2023 Jean Frances Patterson (nee Ward) 86, of St. Louis, Mo., passed away Monday Sept. 11, 2023 in Mercy Hospital. She was a resident of St. Louis for 60 years but remained loyal to her native Kansas where she was born... [More]
- Roland Jerome “Jerry” Rowe ~ 01-18-1928 to 09-12-2023
- Cammie Lee Hines ~ 06-19-1962 to 09-03-2023
- Helen Yvonne Bruce ~ 08-16-1930 to 09-07-2023
- Delbert Alan Cannon ~ 01-28-1958 to 09-09-2023
- Wayne Barber Ellis ~ 06-20-1944 to 09-07-2023
- Mary Dolores Warta ~ 02-03-1929 to 09-08-2023
- Parker Mae Perkins ~ 08-25-2023
- Robert Zane Hayes ~ 06-26-1960 to 08-23-2023
Letter from KDWP discussed during meeting During the public comment segment of the commissioner’s weekly meeting on Monday, several people in the audience again spoke regarding the current zoning regulations for commercial solar farms. Public comment... [More]
Move solves one of three financial issues Monday night’s Unified School District 362 approval at a special meeting of the sale of a vocational-education construction house in La Cygne has solved what appeared to be an impending financial concern. However, two... [More]
Approved pair will buy skid steer, delete proposed RV permit registration Two items thoroughly debated and tabled after a Sept. 6 regular meeting have now been passed by La Cygne city leaders. At their regular meeting last Wednesday, Sept. 20, the council cast a... [More]
- Commercial solar panels top Planning and Zoning Commission meeting
- Commissioners put attorney on retainer for solar matters
- Parker to use ARPA funds for cam installment
- Boil Water Advisory Issued for City of Pleasanton, Linn County
- County to seek Queens Road sloughing solutions
- Desludging award headlines La Cygne actions
- Armed suicidal subject, shots fired
- County 2024 budget to stay revenue neutral
The Prairie View football team hosted Burlington on Sept. 22 for their Homecoming game. Homecoming is so much better with a win and the Buffalos provided that as they fought their way to a 44-19 victory. One of the things that won this game for the Buffalos were big runs by... [More]
The Pleasanton cross country team traveled to Prairie View to compete in the Humboldt Invitational on Sept. 19 and then the Ramsey Invitational at Prairie View on Sept. 21. Both junior high and high school runners competed for the Jays at the Humboldt Invitational. Kei-Mahni... [More]
- Jayhawk Linn routs Uniontown in home opener
- Pleasanton volleyball has a busy week
- Prairie View cross country performs well at Wellsville
- Pleasanton football routs Northeast Arma
- Big Buffalo rally falls just short
- Jayhawk football dominates first two games
- Jays survive typical first game hiccups
- Prairie View football falls to Parsons to open the season
• May be mailed, e-mailed, faxed or hand delivered.
• Must be received by 9 a.m. on Tuesday morning in order to appear in that week's edition.
• Obituaries submitted by funeral homes will be billed to the funeral home.
• Full obituaries submitted by individuals are required to be paid in advance.
• Cost: $40 for 300 words or less. Each additional word over 300, 10¢. Photograph $5.
Call Barbara at 913-352-6235 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org