Linn County News
Published July 18, 2018
Herbert Lee Pemberton, age 75, La Cygne, Kan., passed away on Sunday, July 15, 2018, at his rural La Cygne home. He was born Sept. 9, 1942, to Edith (Cohee) Pemberton (Ross) and Daniel Herbert Pemberton in Independence, Mo. He was mostly raised by his grandparents, Juley and Ed Cohee, at La Cygne.
He attended elementary school at Star Valley School and graduated from La Cygne Rural High School in the Class of 1960. He later attended classes at Manual Trade School to master the skills needed to become a union painter.
He and Barbara Haight were united in marriage at Paola, Kan., on July 1, 1961. To this union, three children were born.
Herb spent most of his working years as a painter and contractor. He served as a county commissioner for 16 years. He enjoyed his time as county commissioner and always tried to do what he thought was best for the welfare of the majority of the people he represented as well as Linn County itself.
He was an avid trap shooter, hunter, raccoon hunter, fisherman and golfer. He spent much time enjoying these sports in his younger and middle ages, often raccoon hunting on mule back with his mule named Sugar.
He was baptized and became a member of the La Cygne Christian Church, later serving as an elder.
He leaves behind his wife, Barbara, of 57 years; three children, Darlene Engert (David), Gary Pemberton and Dwayne Pemberton, all of La Cygne; seven grandchildren, Scott Stone, Stephanie Stone, Sam Engert, Henry Engert, Case Pemberton, Stratton Pemberton and Saige Pemberton; two great grandchildren, Kinley and Kyler Stone; two half brothers, Larry Ross (Kay) and Kenny Ross; and one half sister, Dixie Boone.
He was preceded in death by his parents; and a half brother, Dickie Ross.
He will be sadly missed by family and friends, but his memories will linger forever in their hearts.
Funeral service will be at 2 p.m. Friday, July 20, 2018, at the La Cygne Christian Church. Burial will be in the Star Valley Cemetery. Visitation will be held from 5- 7 p.m. Thursday at the church.
The family suggests contributions to the La Cygne Christian Church. Online condolences can be left at www.schneiderfunerals.com.
Linn County News Published Aug. 4, 2021 Lela Aleane Sharp, age 100, of Fontana, Kan., passed away Wednesday, July 28, 2021, at her home. Funeral services were held Tuesday, Aug. 3, 2021, at Dengel and Son Mortuary, 305 N. Pearl St., Paola, Kan., 66071, with... [More]
Linn County News Published July 28, 2021 James Allen Johnson, age 72, of Pleasanton, Kan., passed away on Saturday, July 24, 2021, at the University of Kansas Medical Center in Kansas City, Kan., after a brief illness. Allen was born on July 7, 1949, at Moran, Kan.,... [More]
Linn County News Published July 28, 2021 Farmer boy, Johnnie Leon Giffin, loving father and husband of 58 years, went to Heaven on July 22, 2021. His funeral Mass will be at Prince of Peace Catholic Church at 10 a.m. Wednesday, July 28, 2021, Johnnie was born June... [More]
- Brett Michael Johnson 07-10-1995 to 12-12-2020
- Thomas Franklin “T.F.” Edmonds 01-14-1928 to 11-06-2020
- Vernon LeRoy “Roy” Massey 02-09-1922 to 10-07-2020
- Margaret Eileen Wier 02-15-1943 to 09-21-2020
- Elynor Ann Miller 08-28-1924 to 08-02-2020
- James J. Shannon Robinson 03-29-1980 to 08-01-2020
- Charles William “Bill” Atwood Jr. 05-31-1927 to 07-29-2020
- Verna Louise Bright 09-06-1935 to 07-30-2020
Appearing at the tail end of the County Commissioners meeting on Monday, County Attorney Burton Harding was questioned by them concerning his employee, the hours he works and the court backlog of cases. Harding stated on clearing the court case backlog that what he thought... [More]
Rape victim relative concerned over no county victim advocate, possible lack of penalty for defendant
(Victim and family of victim’s name have been withheld to protect the victim.) A case that was filed in Linn Valley April 28, 2020, which occurred over the Easter weekend of April 12, 2020, continues today, but without the aid of a victim advocate for the rape... [More]
Given previous credit, most time is already served Robert Joseph Brierley has received consecutive 12-month sentences for crimes committed in 2019. At Brierley’s sentencing July 20 in Linn County District Court, Geoffrey W. Clark, judge pro tem, issued the... [More]
- SPECIAL: Linn County Sheriff's Office seeking identification of subject
- La Cygne awards bid for settling pond project
- Commissioners approve roof bid for fire stations
- Christmas in Linn County
- New quarantine guidelines announced, software approved for Health Department
- Wreck leaves local attorney injured
- Commissioners opt to leave mask decision to school boards
- USD 362 sets new bond election date
Kyle Carstens, a Fontana native and 2006 Prairie View graduate, is ready to compete in the Linn County Fair and Rodeo’s Outlaw Truck & Tractor Pull taking place on the evening of Aug. 8. Carstens just recently started competing with tractors in pulling events but... [More]
The Fifth Annual Catfish Tournament was held at Pleasanton East Lake on the evening of July 16. The tournament started that evening and ended around 3 a.m. the next morning. Qualifying fish had to be at least 15 inches long. The tournament featured 52 participants, and a total... [More]
- 2021 All Linn County baseball team
- Jayhawk softball falls to Belle Plaine at State
- Briley Moore finds NFL home as undrafted free agent
- Pleasanton track competes at Jayhawk Invitational
- Pleasanton baseball starts season with a pair of walk-off thrillers against Oswego
- Prairie View, Pioneer League ponder Baldwin addition
- Pleasanton girls’ basketball hopes for good season with young but experienced team
- Prairie View football has multiple players on the All Pioneer League team