Ian Marcus Miller
05-05-2003 to 11-17-2019
Linn County News
Published Nov. 27, 2019
Ian Marcus Miller, 16, of Hiawatha, Kan., passed away unexpectedly on Sunday, Nov. 17, 2019.
The son of Craig Brislin Miller and Teresa Marie Yearns, he was born May 5, 2003, in Seneca, Kan.
He lived in Hiawatha most of his life, attending Hiawatha schools, except February 2016 to February 2018 when he lived in Queen City, Mo., attending Schuyler County High School.
Ian is survived by his father, Craig Brislin Miller, mother Teresa Marie Yearns, brother Truman Brislin Miller, and sister Sadie Maya Ann Miller. He is also survived by maternal grandparents Eugene Mendenhall and wife Loree; paternal grandparents Tracy Miller and wife Jeannie and Nora Sommerhauser and partner Carolyn Boone; uncle Brad Mendenhall, wife Erin and son Brevin; aunt Kelly Kelley and daughter Kealey Mathieson; as well as large extended maternal and paternal families and a great multitude of friends.
Ian was preceded in death by his stepfather, Dwayne “Tater” Yearns, and his uncle, Chris Kelley.
Ian, a member of the Hiawatha High School class of 2021, was involved in forensics as well as track and field at both Hiawatha and Schuyler County. He also participated in youth group at First Baptist Church, and was a member of Boy Scouts of America Troop 313. He planned to enlist in the United States Marine Corps on his next birthday.
Intelligent, witty and charismatic, Ian was loved by many. He was truly outrageous with a zest for life. While constantly mischievous, he fostered his desire to be there for others. Ian did things for people without a word –thoughtful, kind gestures that showed how much he really cared. Ian prided himself on being a loyal friend, and he was the hardest worker toward anything he would commit himself to. He was only 16, but he had a man-sized heart and a man-sized punch to back it up. Ian embodied everything it takes to become a Marine.
A celebration of Ian’s life was planned for his favorite part of the day, 12 noon Friday, Nov. 22, at the First Baptist Church of Hiawatha. Tony French officiated. Cremation followed.
Memorial contributions are suggested to the Ian Miller Memorial Fund, which may be left in care of the funeral home, 124 S. Seventh St., 66434.
A special message or note of remembrance may be sent to the family at www.chapeloaksfuneralhome.com.
Linn County News Published Jan. 1, 2020 Mary Jo Ernst, age 76, of Pleasanton, Kan. passed away at her home Tuesday, Dec. 17, 2019. Jo was born in Kansas City, Kan. on Oct. 12, 1943, the daughter of Bert and Tippy Hurst. She had one loving... [More]
Ruby Violet Brenneman, age 81, La Cygne, Kan., passed away on Thursday, Sept. 12, 2019, at her home. She was born on June 29, 1938, in La Cygne the daughter of John D. and Violet May Anderson Holman. She graduated from La Cygne Rural High School in the Class of 1956. ... [More]
Dwayne Charles Beckford was born July 20, 1949, in Riverside, Calif., to Andrew Beckford and Lucille Hillman Beckford. His father's military career took the family to many locations before finally settling in Mapleton, Kan. He graduated from Blue Mound High School in 1967... [More]
- Larry Duane Leonard 10-25-1942 to 01-25-2020
- Waborn Ray Phillips 09-06-1958 to 01-21-2020
- Sharon Daggett Smith 01-28-1949 to 01-20-2020
- Julia Ann Dale 12-25-1932 to 01-20-2020
- Alva G. Glaze 04-20-1931 to 01-20-2020
- Rickie Gene Catron 01-12-1952 to 01-14-2020
- William Wesley Bright 06-20-1921 to 01-17-2020
- Ronald Lee Seymour 10-27-1942 to 01-15-2020
Board approves in time for this spring’s trap season Prairie View High will be represented in a state trap shooting league this spring. On a 6-0 vote, with Nicolas Philpott absent, the Unified School District 362 board of education approved... [More]
At the Tuesday County Commissioners’ meeting, giving a weekly prisoner count of 35 prisoners with 19 housed in county, County Sheriff Kevin Friend reported 197 calls for service, less than last week, “probably due to the cold weather without... [More]
Following the receipt of six rescue pumper truck bids for the Linn County Rural Fire Department, the rural fire board reviewed the bids and chose the Hays Fire and Rescue Sales and Service bid for approval by the County Commissioners. At the commissioners’... [More]
- BREAKING NEWS
- Steven Louis Finley 05-24-1966 to 06-15-2019
- Wanda Sheppard 06-10-1926 to 01-08-2019
- Jack Edward Scott 01-22-1925 to 06-10-2019
- Lloyd Eugene “Gene” Dixon 10-31-1938 to 06-11-2019
- John R. Markley, DVM 04-23-1934 to 05-22-2019
- Bobby J. Wurtz 02-01-1936 to 05-14-2019
- Parker leaders double Christmas toy donation
The Prairie View basketball teams traveled to Anderson County on Jan. 14 for a Pioneer League contest against the Bulldogs. The girls played first, and it was not a good game for the Lady Buffalos. The Lady Buffs fell down big... [More]
The Jayhawk boys’ basketball team hosted league foe Chetopa on Jan. 14. Jayhawk was in control all game, but Chetopa did get close in both the first and third quarters. However, thanks to a big 11-3 run in the fourth, the Hawks were... [More]
- Prairie View football defeats Caney Valley, advances to play Columbus in regional round
- Prairie View cross country hosts Ramsey Invitational
- A day to remember: Lady Buff seniors help sweep Oz in home finale
- Pleasanton baseball falls to Northeast; softball gets first wins of season
- Pleasanton places 7th in TRL tournament
- Alcorn, Snyder compete for the Buffalos at State
- Stone, Broyles, Dawson medal for Hawks at State Track Meet
- Miller leads Blu-Jays at State track