Linn County News
Published Sept. 15, 2021
Janet (Brown) Maschino, 64, of rural Pleasanton and Parsons, passed away peacefully at 3:13 a.m. Thursday, Sept. 9, 2021, at her daughter’s home in Erie.
Janet’s story starts on March 29, 1957, at Parsons, the second of children of John Paul and Mary Ita (Little) Brown. She spent her early days on the farm and attended schools in St. Paul. After graduating from St. Paul High School, she attended the Labette Community College and received an Associate Degree in Nursing. Janet was a registered nurse and spent over 20 years working at the Labette County Medical Center, where she enjoyed working and caring for her patients.
On Feb. 28, 1992, she and Douglas “Doug” E. Maschino were united in marriage at the former St. Mary’s Catholic Church at Parsons. He survives of the home.
She later moved to rural Pleasanton with her husband where they purchased a pharmacy. Janet also worked at the Pleasanton Family Practice for 10 years while working part-time at the Maschino Family Pharmacy.
While she was growing up, Janet was a member of the St. Francis Catholic Church and was currently a member of the Sacred Heart Catholic Church at Mound City. She enjoyed many hobbies: fishing, planting trees and flowers, shooting and was a member of the National Rifle Association. She also enjoyed working with her skid loader. She was an avid animal lover, and especially loved her European Breed German Shepherds. She also raised three quarter horses from foals. In early years she enjoyed canoeing and camping with family and friend. She especially enjoyed tubing the Guadalupe River, “oh, what a ride!” She had a love for sports and especially enjoyed volleyball and fast-pitch softball. She enjoyed spending time with her family the most and her daughter, Cary Lynn, was her pride and joy.
In addition to her husband, survivors include: her daughter, Cary Lynn Parlett, of Erie, Kan.; her mother, Mary Ita Brown, of rural Erie; two sisters, Judy Widner, and her husband, Steve, Girard, Kan., and Patricia Phelan, of Eureka, Kan.; four brothers, Ed Brown, of St. Paul, Kan., John Brown, and his wife, Loretta, of Livermore, Calif., Tom Brown, of Tulsa, Okla., and Mike Brown, and his wife, Renee, of rural Erie; nieces and nephews, Jason Widner, of Kansas City, Kan., Amy McCarter, and her husband, Landon, Pleasanton, Calif., Keith Phelan, and his son, Quinton, of Eureka, Dr. Jonathon “Jon” Phelan, and his wife, Dr. Katy, and daughters Lily and June, of Minneapolis, Minn., Sarah Waterson, and her husband, Ryan, and son Oscar, of Wichita, Kan., Jay Thomas Brown, of Chanute, Kan., and Jennifer Brown, of Livermore, Calif.
She was preceded in death by her father, J.P. Brown; her maternal grandparents, Harry and Ellen (Cavanaugh) Little; and her paternal grandparents, Raymond and Rosa (Steinbacher) Brown.
Mass of Christian Burial was held Monday, Sept. 13, 2021, at the St. Francis Catholic Church at St. Paul, with Father Larry Parker officiating. Burial was in the St. Francis Cemetery. The casket was moved to the St. Francis Catholic Church for the Rosary to be recited Sunday evening at the St. Francis Catholic Church.
Memorials are suggested to the St. Francis Catholic Church of St. Paul or to the Mother of God Catholic Church at Oswego. These may be left at or mailed to the Carson-Wall Funeral Home, P.O. Box 942, Parsons, KS 66357. Online condolences may be left at www.wallfuneralservices.com.
Linn County News Published Sept. 22, 2021 Wilhelmina “Billie” Rose Suddock, age 90, of Wichita, Kan., died Thursday, Sept. 16, 2021. In lieu of flowers, the family requests donations to the Home Health & Hospice of Kansas. Rosary... [More]
Published in the Linn County News Sept. 22, 2021 Virgil Elmer Spencer, age 82, Mound City, Kansas passed away Friday, Sept.17, 2021. He was born on August 8, 1939 in rural Mound City, Kan. the son of Elmer Allen and Thelma Barker Spencer. ... [More]
Troy E. Mitchell, age 87, of Pleasanton, Kan. passed away in Overland Park, Kan.on Friday, Sept. 17, 2021. Troy was born the son of Jesse James and Naomi Folsom Mitchell on June 23, 1934 in Kansas City, Kan. He married Ruby Venable on October 4, 1951... [More]
- Joseph Michael Dellinger 01-17-1950 to 08-20-2021
- Brett Michael Johnson 07-10-1995 to 12-12-2020
- Thomas Franklin “T.F.” Edmonds 01-14-1928 to 11-06-2020
- Vernon LeRoy “Roy” Massey 02-09-1922 to 10-07-2020
- Margaret Eileen Wier 02-15-1943 to 09-21-2020
- Elynor Ann Miller 08-28-1924 to 08-02-2020
- James J. Shannon Robinson 03-29-1980 to 08-01-2020
- Charles William “Bill” Atwood Jr. 05-31-1927 to 07-29-2020
For immediate release: September 22, 2021 On September 21, 2021, The Linn County Sheriff’s Office was given information that a student at Pleasanton USD #344 was bringing a knife to school. Information led Deputies to believe that the student may want to harm others.... [More]
By JACKIE TAYLOR Linn County News email@example.com After Linn County Sheriff Kevin Friend spoke on School Resource Officer (SRO) activity, County Commissioner Jim Johnson commented at their Monday meeting that the commissioners needed to clear... [More]
By JACKIE TAYLOR Linn County News firstname.lastname@example.org Continuing their discussion concerning annexation at their Monday meeting, the City Council spoke of Pleasanton resident Kimberly Campbell’s request for voluntary annexation... [More]
- SPECIAL: Linn County Sheriff's Office seeking identification of subject
- La Cygne awards bid for settling pond project
- Commissioners approve roof bid for fire stations
- Christmas in Linn County
- New quarantine guidelines announced, software approved for Health Department
- Wreck leaves local attorney injured
- Commissioners opt to leave mask decision to school boards
- USD 362 sets new bond election date
LINN COUNTY NEWS NEWSPAPERSRME@yahoo.com After losing their first three games, including by 30-6 at Uniontown last Friday, Pleasanton’s Blu-Jays will be looking to score first when they host Troy at 7 p.m. this Friday in a non-district matchup. “We... [More]
LINN COUNTY NEWS email@example.com The Prairie View football team continues to perform at a high level as they hosted Parsons on Sept. 17. The Buffalos took control of the game early on both sides of the ball, which led to an eventual 38-14 victory.... [More]
- 2021 All Linn County baseball team
- Jayhawk softball falls to Belle Plaine at State
- Briley Moore finds NFL home as undrafted free agent
- Pleasanton track competes at Jayhawk Invitational
- Pleasanton baseball starts season with a pair of walk-off thrillers against Oswego
- Prairie View, Pioneer League ponder Baldwin addition
- Pleasanton girls’ basketball hopes for good season with young but experienced team
- Prairie View football has multiple players on the All Pioneer League team
• May be mailed, e-mailed, faxed or hand delivered.
• Must be received by 9 a.m. on Tuesday morning in order to appear in that week's edition.
• Full obituaries submitted by individuals are required to be paid in advance.
• Obituaries submitted by funeral homes will be billed to the funeral home.
• Cost: $30 for 300 words or less. Each additional word over 300, 10¢. Photograph $5.
Call Barbara at 913-352-6235 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org