Linn County News
Published April 15, 2020
Jimmie Allan Wier, age 83, Mapleton, Kan., passed away on Saturday, April 11, 2020. He was born on Sept. 24, 1936, in Fort Scott, Kan., the son of Lloyd and Thelma Olan Meek Wier. Jim's education included four years at "Mud Holler" in Mapleton, four years at Mapleton Grade School, Blue Mound High School, Fort Scott Community College and Kansas State University ending up with a Bachelor's Degree in Agriculture Education. He played football while attending Fort Scott and baseball while at Kansas State. He served his country in the United States Army and National Guard. He was united in marriage to Deanna Smith on Oct. 2, 1965 in the Delphos Presbyterian Church. They were blessed with one daughter, Angela.
Jim was a farmer, rancher and insurance adjuster for Farm Bureau Insurance for thirty-six years. He loved his family and took great pleasure in attending all the many activities Angela was involved in. He enjoyed watching movies, Kansas City Chiefs, Kansas City Royals and Kansas State Football. He was a member of the Xenia Masonic Lodge, Scottish Rite Consistory, Mirza Shrine and the Mapleton United Methodist Church.
He was preceded in death by his parents and a sister-in-law, Virginia Helget. Jim is survived by his wife Deanna; daughter, Angela Riddell and husband Dr. Chris Riddell; two granddaughters, Haleigh and Arden Riddell; a brother, Don Wier and wife, Imogene; two sister-in-laws, Joanne Fitzgerald and husband Jerry, and June Gawith and husband, Kenny; two brother-in-laws, Bernard Helget and Wayne Smith; extended family and friends.
Funeral services will be announced at a later date. Contributions are suggested to Bowlus Fine Arts Center, Iola, Kansas or the Mapleton United Methodist Church, c/o Schneider Funeral Home and Crematory, P.O. Box J, Mound City, KS 66056. Online condolences can be left at www.schneiderfunerals.com.
Linn County News Published Sept. 28, 2022 James Randel “Randy” Leach, age 58, Mound City, Kan., passed away Sunday, Sept. 25, 2022. He was born in Iola, Kan., on Jan. 15, 1964, the son of James Paul and Sharon Leigh(Henson) Leach. He attended grade school... [More]
Linn County News Published Sept. 28, 2022 Kristina Dawn Weers-Colin, 42, of Parker, Kan., passed away Thursday, Sept. 22, 2022, at Advent Health Medical Center, Shawnee, Kan. Graveside services will be held at 11 a.m., Thursday, Sept. 29, 2022, at Bucyrus Cemetery, Bucyrus,... [More]
Linn County News Published Sept. 28, 2022 Norma Jane Johnson Surbaugh, age 80, of La Cygne, Kan., passed away on Monday, Sept., 26, 2022, in Louisburg, Kan. She was born the only child of Norman Everett and Alberta Frances Reed Johnson on Jan. 19, 1942, at the Trinity... [More]
- Joseph Michael Dellinger 01-17-1950 to 08-20-2021
- Brett Michael Johnson 07-10-1995 to 12-12-2020
- Thomas Franklin “T.F.” Edmonds 01-14-1928 to 11-06-2020
- Vernon LeRoy “Roy” Massey 02-09-1922 to 10-07-2020
- Margaret Eileen Wier 02-15-1943 to 09-21-2020
- Elynor Ann Miller 08-28-1924 to 08-02-2020
- James J. Shannon Robinson 03-29-1980 to 08-01-2020
- Charles William “Bill” Atwood Jr. 05-31-1927 to 07-29-2020
The Linn Valley Council was given a few options to think about for their new water system Monday night. Engineer from BG Consultants Paul Owings said there were a couple aspects of the water project they needed to think about including transmission and distribution lines. He... [More]
Ola May Earnest to be Grand Marshal Pleasanton’s annual celebration of the heritage of their city is set for this coming weekend with one evening and two full days of activities. The annual event kicks off on Friday night with a street dance on Main Street... [More]
Annexation for purposes of patrol, drug deterrence Following a public hearing on Monday, Sept. 26, during their regular council meeting and after hearing from two city residents, the Pleasanton council voted 3-1 to approve the annexation of a one and half mile section... [More]
- Mayors, councils speak on infrastructure defunding proposal
- Mound City Council looks to add campsites to lake
- SPECIAL: Linn County Sheriff's Office seeking identification of subject
- La Cygne awards bid for settling pond project
- Commissioners approve roof bid for fire stations
- Christmas in Linn County
- New quarantine guidelines announced, software approved for Health Department
- Wreck leaves local attorney injured
The Prairie View cross country team hosted the annual Ramsey Invitational on Sept. 22. The Buffalos ran well at the meet and especially the varsity girls’ team as they placed first. Bree Allen continues to win varsity girls’ cross country races. Here she placed... [More]
The Jayhawk-Linn celebrated Homecoming on Sept. 23 by playing district opponent Northern Heights. The Hawks had no problems with Northern Heights as Jayhawk won 64-8. Almost all the Jayhawk scoring was done in the first quarter. Gus Grote scored on the first play of... [More]
- Hume splits home season openers
- Marais des Cygnes 4-H members compete at national judging contests
- 2021 All Linn County baseball team
- Jayhawk softball falls to Belle Plaine at State
- Briley Moore finds NFL home as undrafted free agent
- Pleasanton track competes at Jayhawk Invitational
- Pleasanton baseball starts season with a pair of walk-off thrillers against Oswego
- Prairie View, Pioneer League ponder Baldwin addition
• May be mailed, e-mailed, faxed or hand delivered.
• Must be received by 9 a.m. on Tuesday morning in order to appear in that week's edition.
• Full obituaries submitted by individuals are required to be paid in advance.
• Obituaries submitted by funeral homes will be billed to the funeral home.
• Cost: $30 for 300 words or less. Each additional word over 300, 10¢. Photograph $5.
Call Barbara at 913-352-6235 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org