Linn County News
Published October 26, 2022
LaDonna Irene Covey, 85, Rapid City, S.D., passed away on Oct. 19, 2022. She was born on Oct. 3, 1937, to Guy and Ellen (Swanson) Cosens in Mound City, Kan.
LaDonna was raised in Mound City with five siblings. She graduated from Mound City High School in 1955. She continued on to college in Kansas City but had to leave and forego her education due to a fire at her parent’s home in Mound City.
On February 28, 1959, she married Leslie (Les) Baston. LaDonna and Les had two children, Christy and Leslie. LaDonna and Les divorced in 1986 and she met and married Mike Covey in 1989.
Following Mike’s passing in 1996, LaDonna worked cleaning cabins in Buffalo, Mo. Her daughter Leslie passed away in March of 2001. LaDonna decided to move to Rapid City, S.D. to live with her daughter Christy in 2008. She enjoyed being a part of the Canyon Lake Senior Citizens Center where she played a lot of pinochle and thoroughly enjoyed the Saturday night dances.
LaDonna enjoyed ceramics, camping at Table Rock Lake with Les and her girls, square dancing with Mike, Pepsi and anything sweet! Her favorite singer was Elvis Presley.
Grateful for having shared her life are her daughter, Christy (Dale Montgomery) DiSanto, S.D.; brothers, Boon (Edra Kay) Cosens and Donald (Debbie) Cosens; eight grandchildren; and 13 great- grandchildren.
She was preceded in death by her parents, Guy and Ellen Cosens; daughter, Leslie Blacksher; sister, Sue Bryfogle; and brothers, Marvin Cosens, Everett Cosens, Loren Cosens, and Ray Cosens.
LaDonna will be dearly missed by all who had the pleasure of knowing her and her joyful laugh. Her family knows she is in a place where she is square dancing, playing cards and hopefully meeting Elvis Presley!
Linn County News Published December 7, 2022 Anna Mae Carrel, 98, Nevada, Mo., passed away on Sunday, Dec. 4, 2022, at Menorah Medical Center in Overland Park, Kan. Anna was born Nov. 4, 1924, in Mound City, Kan., to Fred M. and Mary C. (Hollister) Smith. She was united in... [More]
Linn County News Published December 7, 2022 Kathryn Elaine "Kathy" Newcome passed away Thursday Dec. 1, 2022. Funeral service will be 2 p.m. Monday, Dec. 5, 2022, at the Schneider Funeral Home and Crematory, Pleasanton Chapel. Burial in the Richland Cemetery. Visitation will... [More]
Linn County News Published December 7, 2022 Linda S. Rios, age 63, of Mound City, Kan., passed away in Olathe, Kan., on Nov. 14, 2022. There are no services scheduled. Online condolences may be left at www.schneiderfuneral.com.
- Joseph Michael Dellinger 01-17-1950 to 08-20-2021
- Brett Michael Johnson 07-10-1995 to 12-12-2020
- Thomas Franklin “T.F.” Edmonds 01-14-1928 to 11-06-2020
- Vernon LeRoy “Roy” Massey 02-09-1922 to 10-07-2020
- Margaret Eileen Wier 02-15-1943 to 09-21-2020
- Elynor Ann Miller 08-28-1924 to 08-02-2020
- James J. Shannon Robinson 03-29-1980 to 08-01-2020
- Charles William “Bill” Atwood Jr. 05-31-1927 to 07-29-2020
In a sentencing hearing set for Friday, Dec. 2, Robert Woody III appeared in Linn County District Court in front of Judge Andrea Purvis, but instead of sentencing being handed down, the defense requested a continuance. Defense counsel Craig Cole noted his client had just brought... [More]
Discussions at Monday’s Linn County Commissioner’s meeting turned to the landfill issue and the fact that, as it currently sits, the landfill is only a year and half out from closing. During Monday’s discussions, Linn County Public Works Administrator Shaun... [More]
Charges amended to one count of leaving the scene of an accident James Rocky Allen appeared in Linn County District Court on Tuesday, Nov. 29 for what was slated to be a preliminary hearing in case LN-2020-CR-000240 in which he was charged with second degree murder;... [More]
- Mayors, councils speak on infrastructure defunding proposal
- Mound City Council looks to add campsites to lake
- SPECIAL: Linn County Sheriff's Office seeking identification of subject
- La Cygne awards bid for settling pond project
- Commissioners approve roof bid for fire stations
- Christmas in Linn County
- New quarantine guidelines announced, software approved for Health Department
- Wreck leaves local attorney injured
The Prairie View wrestling team traveled to Pleasant Hill on Dec. 2 and 3 to compete in the Steve Leslie Invitational. The boys’ team had three wrestlers place in the top four while the girls’ team had two wrestlers place in the top four. Kimmy Eastwood wrestled... [More]
Pleasanton basketball teams began their season Friday with a split varsity decision at Prairie Village-Kansas City Christian (KCC), the girls winning 39-19 while the boys took a 60-31 loss. Both teams now have two games upcoming at this week’s early-season round-robin... [More]
- Hume splits home season openers
- Marais des Cygnes 4-H members compete at national judging contests
- 2021 All Linn County baseball team
- Jayhawk softball falls to Belle Plaine at State
- Briley Moore finds NFL home as undrafted free agent
- Pleasanton track competes at Jayhawk Invitational
- Pleasanton baseball starts season with a pair of walk-off thrillers against Oswego
- Prairie View, Pioneer League ponder Baldwin addition
• May be mailed, e-mailed, faxed or hand delivered.
• Must be received by 9 a.m. on Tuesday morning in order to appear in that week's edition.
• Full obituaries submitted by individuals are required to be paid in advance.
• Obituaries submitted by funeral homes will be billed to the funeral home.
• Cost: $30 for 300 words or less. Each additional word over 300, 10¢. Photograph $5.
Call Barbara at 913-352-6235 or e-mail email@example.com