Lora Lou Herman passed away Wednesday, Nov. 26, 2014, at 12:35 a.m. at nearly 87 years of age. Lora Lou was born in Enton, Okla., in December of 1927. The family eventually moved to Mound City, Kan., where she spent most of her life.
She met the love of her life, John Herman, while in high school. They married in 1946, settled on a farm in the Farlinville community, and raised their three children.
After her husband died, Lora moved to Central City, Ky.
Like many who were raised during the Depression, Lora began working at a young age. Her work life spanned a variety of positions from a store clerk to deputy county treasurer to school administration. She was actively involved with many community organizations, and was a member of the Mound City Baptist Church where she taught Sunday school for many years. She joined the Green River Chapel Church in Central City. She inspired many with her faith and commitment.
Lora is survived by her three children, John Wayne Herman and daughter-in-law Iris of San Diego, Lora Jane Riopel and son-in-law Dave of Cupertino, Calif., and Joe Eddy Herman and daughter-in-law Sandy of Central City, Ky.; her grandchildren, Chasity Edmonds of Central City, Keane Herman of Carshalton, England, Jenny Pierce of San Diego, Calif., Chandra Herman Younger of Bowling Green, Ky., and Carrie Mousseau of Palo Alto, Calif.; and seven great-grandchildren, Dillan Edmonds, Dominic Herman-Day, Anthony Herman, Chandler Edmonds, Jenny Mousseau, Autumn Pierce and Ella Younger.
Her children knew her as strong in her faith, loving, independent, spunky and fun. Her husband used to say that life with her was always interesting. She will be missed.
Graveside services were Monday, Dec. 1, 2014, at Woodland Cemetery in Mound City. Expressions of sympathy may take the form of contributions to the Youth Fund at Mound City First Baptist Church in care of Schneider Funeral Home, P.O. Box J, Mound City, KS 66056. Online condolences may be left at www.schneiderfunerals.com.
Linn County News Published February 8, 2022 Gene Linder passed away on Jan. 17, 2023. Born April 11, 1931, Gene lived life to the fullest for all his 91 years. Gene’s first legacy was that of husband to Virginia - devoted to each other for 70 years... [More]
Linn County News Published February 8, 2023 Sonita Arlone Martin, age 79, Fort Scott, Kan., passed away Thursday, Feb. 2, 2023, at her home. Funeral service will be 2 p.m. Monday, Feb. 6, 2023, at the Schneider Funeral Home and Crematory, Pleasanton... [More]
Linn County News Published January 25, 2023 Randall "Randy" James Rogers, age 72, La Cygne, Kan., passed away Thursday, Jan. 19, 2023. Funeral service will be 1 p.m. Tuesday, Jan. 24, 2023, at the Schneider Funeral Home and Crematory, La Cygne Chapel. Burial... [More]
- Joseph Michael Dellinger 01-17-1950 to 08-20-2021
- Brett Michael Johnson 07-10-1995 to 12-12-2020
- Thomas Franklin “T.F.” Edmonds 01-14-1928 to 11-06-2020
- Vernon LeRoy “Roy” Massey 02-09-1922 to 10-07-2020
- Margaret Eileen Wier 02-15-1943 to 09-21-2020
- Elynor Ann Miller 08-28-1924 to 08-02-2020
- James J. Shannon Robinson 03-29-1980 to 08-01-2020
- Charles William “Bill” Atwood Jr. 05-31-1927 to 07-29-2020
2023 Kansas Birding Big Year Contest PRATT – The 2023 Kansas Birding Big Year Contest, hosted by the Kansas Department of Wildlife and Parks (KDWP), is officially underway! Participation is simple; record the number of unique bird species you see in Kansas from... [More]
Approximately 30 people took advantage of free CPR (cardio-pulmonary resuscitation) classes held last Saturday in both Mound City and La Cygne. The classes were sponsored by Linn County Emergency Management and were free to the public. Each class size was limited to 20 and... [More]
Ali Hamilton, director and curator of the Trading Post Museum, spoke to Linn County Commissioners on Monday, Jan. 30, regarding the renaming of a stretch of U.S. Highway 69 in the honor of a Pleasanton veteran who died at Pearl Harbor. A bill was introduced in the Kansas legislature... [More]
- Commissioners receive report on 2022 valuations compliance
- Mayors, councils speak on infrastructure defunding proposal
- Mound City Council looks to add campsites to lake
- SPECIAL: Linn County Sheriff's Office seeking identification of subject
- La Cygne awards bid for settling pond project
- Commissioners approve roof bid for fire stations
- Christmas in Linn County
- New quarantine guidelines announced, software approved for Health Department
Pleasanton celebrated their courtwarming this past week and they also celebrated their basketball teams as the boys’ and girls’ varsity teams combined to go 4-0. The Jays played Marmaton Valley on Jan. 24 and then hosted Altoona Midway for their courtwarming on... [More]
Junior Gus Grote continued his double-double onslaught last week as he and his Jayhawk-Linn teammates at home split Three Rivers League decisions. On Jan. 23, the Jayhawks claimed a 46-38 win against Yates Center, a game postponed from Dec. 16, but last Friday, they lost a... [More]
- Hume splits home season openers
- Marais des Cygnes 4-H members compete at national judging contests
- 2021 All Linn County baseball team
- Jayhawk softball falls to Belle Plaine at State
- Briley Moore finds NFL home as undrafted free agent
- Pleasanton track competes at Jayhawk Invitational
- Pleasanton baseball starts season with a pair of walk-off thrillers against Oswego
- Prairie View, Pioneer League ponder Baldwin addition
• May be mailed, e-mailed, faxed or hand delivered.
• Must be received by 9 a.m. on Tuesday morning in order to appear in that week's edition.
• Full obituaries submitted by individuals are required to be paid in advance.
• Obituaries submitted by funeral homes will be billed to the funeral home.
• Cost: $30 for 300 words or less. Each additional word over 300, 10¢. Photograph $5.
Call Barbara at 913-352-6235 or e-mail email@example.com