Mildred Kathryn Burk
08-02-1922 to 11-20-2019
Linn County News
Published Nov. 27, 2019
Mildred Kathryn Burk, (Millie), age 97 of Parker, Kan., died Wednesday, Nov. 20, 2019, at home surrounded by family. Mildred was born Aug. 2, 1922, in Patterson, Okla. (Garfield County). She was the third of five children of John Henry and Frieda Bertha (Peters) Wyssmann. She grew up in Garfield County, Okla.
After high school, Mildred moved to Enid, Okla. She worked in a factory while attending Enid Business School, upon graduation worked for Geo. E. Failing Supply Co. in the typing pool.
On April 28, 1946, Mildred and Wilfred Burk were united in marriage in Covington, Okla. The couple made their home in Parker, Kan. Together they raised eight children on the family farm, Margaret, Rose, Carol, Barbara, Wayne, Ruth, Coleen and Kathryn.
Over the years Mildred worked for Osawatomie State Hospital, was an administrative assistant for BEHM Co., and retired from Gulf Western. Her retirement was short-lived, and she went back to work for the Osawatomie Chamber of Commerce and later Taylor Forge where she celebrated her second retirement at the age of 79.
Mildred was a life-long learner; she acquired an associate degree from FSCC. Mildred designed and built a dining room table and hutch in a Wood Working I Class, learned to play the piano in her ‘80s, and in her spare time enjoyed oil painting, ceramics, sewing, quilting, gardening and bird watching.
Mildred was a member of the First Lutheran Church of Paola and belonged to the First Lutheran Quilting Bee, a sister of Beta Sigma Phi, played in the Ding-a-ling Bell Choir, served as officer for the Parker Library Board, was a 4-H community leader, taught 4-H sewing, and served on the Parker Election Voting Precinct.
She was preceded in death by her husband, Wilfred; her parents; her siblings, Arthur Wyssmann, Leona Thorp, Irma Fischer and John Wyssmann; granddaughter Dawn Guilliams Miller; and great grandson Joshua Sharrow.
Mildred is survived by her children, Margaret Guilliams of Mt. Gretna, Pa., Rose (John) Gypalo of Algonquin, Ill., Carol Buckman of Colony, Kan., Barbara Finnigin of Seneca, Kan., Wayne Burk of Parker, Ruth (Gary) Hanser of Plattsburg, Mo., Coleen (Jim) Stahl of Centerville, Kan., and Kathryn Johnston (Mike Ford) of Overland Park, Kan.; sister Mary (John) Knecht of Owasso, Okla.; 31 grandchildren, 55 great grandchildren, and seven great, great grandchildren; and a large extended family.
In lieu of flowers the family request memorials to: Heritage Park, c/o Cherry Buckley. PO Box 137, Parker, KS 66072; Good Shepherd Hospice, 11267 Strang Line Road, Lenexa, KS 66215.
Service was Monday, Nov. 25, 2019, at First Lutheran Church 401 E. Piankishaw St., Paola, Kan.
Linn County News Published April 14, 2021 Cecil L. Fish, 89, Ottawa, Kan., and former longtime Labette County resident, passed away Thursday, April 8, 2021, at his home. Cecil was born the third child to Cecil Paige and Edna (Nickoley) Fish on Dec. 7, 1931, in... [More]
Linn County News Published April 14, 2021 William Michael McMillan, age 60, of St. Joseph, Mo., passed away on Thursday, April 8, 2021. He was born on Aug. 24, 1960, in Kansas City, Mo., the son of William McMillan and Virginia Russell McMillan. He... [More]
Linn County News Published April 14, 2021 Vivian Lucile Bright, age 93, Pleasanton, Kan., passed away on Thursday, April 8, 2021. She was born in La Cygne, Kan., on April 4, 1928, the daughter of Raymond and Leona Dodge Vail. Vivian graduated from... [More]
- Brett Michael Johnson 07-10-1995 to 12-12-2020
- Thomas Franklin “T.F.” Edmonds 01-14-1928 to 11-06-2020
- Vernon LeRoy “Roy” Massey 02-09-1922 to 10-07-2020
- Margaret Eileen Wier 02-15-1943 to 09-21-2020
- Elynor Ann Miller 08-28-1924 to 08-02-2020
- James J. Shannon Robinson 03-29-1980 to 08-01-2020
- Charles William “Bill” Atwood Jr. 05-31-1927 to 07-29-2020
- Verna Louise Bright 09-06-1935 to 07-30-2020
The Mound City Council met by phone for a special meeting on Tuesday afternoon, April 6, for the purpose of determining whether or not to reopen the discussions on the sale of the city lake. During the course of that meeting, the council voted to go forward with the discussions... [More]
Customers are spared a billing shock La Cygne natural gas customers will not feel the burden of a high February supplier invoice. The unanimous decision by its council followed a 15-minute executive session for legal attorney-client privilege at its regular meeting... [More]
New possibilities discussed Linn County Fire Chief Doug Barlet reported to the Linn County Commissioners on Monday, April 12, that he had discussed their request for possible changes to the burn ban policy, and the board had voted 7-0 to make no changes; however, they... [More]
- Commissioners approve roof bid for fire stations
- Christmas in Linn County
- New quarantine guidelines announced, software approved for Health Department
- Wreck leaves local attorney injured
- Commissioners opt to leave mask decision to school boards
- USD 362 sets new bond election date
- Cattle industry feeling the impact of COVID-19
- LC Sheriff’s Office joins Crimes Against Children Task Force
Prairie View got contributions from many sources in their April 6 softball doubleheader sweep of Iola. Wins of 10-3 and 18-8 over the Fillies raised the Lady Buffalos’ Pioneer League record to 4-0, 5-0 overall, to begin this week. The team will host a non-league twinbill... [More]
The Jayhawk JV golf team did well last week. On April 5 they traveled to Erie and on April 6 they went to Fort Scott for a tournament hosted by Uniontown. In the Erie tournament they only brought three golfers so they could not place as a team, but at the Uniontown tournament... [More]
- Pleasanton baseball starts season with a pair of walk-off thrillers against Oswego
- Prairie View, Pioneer League ponder Baldwin addition
- Pleasanton girls’ basketball hopes for good season with young but experienced team
- Prairie View football has multiple players on the All Pioneer League team
- Prairie View football starts playoffs strong with dominant win over Caney Valley
- Jayhawk football falls to West Franklin
- Pleasanton football falls to Olpe
- Pleasanton football falls in close game to Uniontown on Homecoming