Linn County News
Published Nov. 4, 2020
Orville J. Cole, age 92, passed away on Nov. 7, 2020, at Olathe Medical Center.
He was born in Garnett, Kan., on March 4, 1928, the son of Ray D. Cole and Edna Mae (Reinfeld) Cole. He spent his entire life in Anderson County, Kan., with the exception of the years he attended college in Pittsburg and Topeka, Kan., and two years in the Army in Germany.
Orville and LaVerne K. Klingenberg were married on Dec. 26, 1953, in Concordia, Mo. To this union were born one daughter, Kathryn E. Cole and two sons, John W. Cole and Thomas M. Cole.
Orville graduated from Washburn University School of Law in Topeka in 1951. He was admitted to practice law in state and federal courts in Kansas and in the United States Supreme Court. After his army service, he returned to Garnett in 1953, where he practiced law until he retired in 1990.
He was a lifelong member of the First Christian Church in Garnett and served as a deacon and chairman of the board. He served as Anderson County Attorney from 1958 to 1962. Over the years, he also served as a scoutmaster, chairman of the Fourth Judicial District Bar Association, and chairman of the Anderson County Republican Central Committee. He was a member of the VFW, Masonic Lodge, Scottish Rite and Shrine.
Orville was preceded in death by his parents; two brothers Roy L. Cole and Claron G. Cole; and his grand-daughter Brittany Wales.
He is survived by his wife of 67 years, LaVerne K. Cole of the home; his daughter Kathryn E. (Cole) Harvey and her husband, James, of Richmond Hill, Geo.; his son John W. Cole and his wife, Stephanie, of Gardner, Kan.; his son Thomas M. Cole of Lawrence, Kan.; and three grandchildren, Ashley Grosshuesch and husband, Ty, of Spring Hill, Kan.; Lacey Enriquez and husband, Rhett, of Overland Park, Kan.; and Nicholas Wales of Phoenix, Ariz.
Due to COVID-19 restrictions, a “Celebration of Life” service will be held at 11 a.m., on Thursday, November 12, 2020, at the Garnett Cemetery. Kindly be mindful of COVID-19 protocols if attending the graveside service.
In lieu of flowers, memorial contributions may be made to the First Christian Church of Garnett, Kan. Condolences may be left for the family at www.feuerbornfuneral.com.
Linn County News Published Nov. 24, 2021 Kristina Diane Roth, age 43, of Hesston, Kan., entered her heavenly home on Sunday, Nov. 21, 2021. Kris was born March 11, 1978, the daughter of Robert (Bob) and Diane Burnett in Garnett, Kan., and lived with her family in... [More]
Linn County News Published Nov. 24, 2021 Neta Lee Leonard, age 69, of Pleasanton, Kan., passed away Friday, Nov. 19, 2021. She was born on July 2, 1952, at Lincoln, Kan., the daughter of Dee and Delores Hall Montgomery. Neta was a nurse over the years. She enjoyed doing genealogy,... [More]
Linn County News Published Nov. 24, 2021 George Herbert Eaton, age 83, La Cygne, Kan., passed away Thursday, Nov. 18, 2021. He was born on April 18, 1938, in El Reno, Okla. He graduated from El Reno High School and attended Johnson County Community College obtaining certification... [More]
- Joseph Michael Dellinger 01-17-1950 to 08-20-2021
- Brett Michael Johnson 07-10-1995 to 12-12-2020
- Thomas Franklin “T.F.” Edmonds 01-14-1928 to 11-06-2020
- Vernon LeRoy “Roy” Massey 02-09-1922 to 10-07-2020
- Margaret Eileen Wier 02-15-1943 to 09-21-2020
- Elynor Ann Miller 08-28-1924 to 08-02-2020
- James J. Shannon Robinson 03-29-1980 to 08-01-2020
- Charles William “Bill” Atwood Jr. 05-31-1927 to 07-29-2020
The sweet smell and feel of a hometown feed store was apparent at the new location of Miller Feed & Farm inside of Stainbrook’s Auto, Farm & Home in La Cygne. Shoppers who need feed for their dogs and cats, goats, horses, cattle and more will find a large selection... [More]
There are some people that seem like they’ve always lived in a community, and Cary and Debbie Coffey are two of those people. But, they’ve only been in Pleasanton since June 2016, and now they’re headed to Virginia in June 2022. “A year ago, the Lord... [More]
An almost six-month process of grant writing, planning and now construction is providing the Pleasanton Lincoln Library a new telehealth room for both job seekers and those wishing to visit with their doctor via computer. Pleasanton Librarian Wendy Morlan said that the grant... [More]
- SPECIAL: Linn County Sheriff's Office seeking identification of subject
- La Cygne awards bid for settling pond project
- Commissioners approve roof bid for fire stations
- Christmas in Linn County
- New quarantine guidelines announced, software approved for Health Department
- Wreck leaves local attorney injured
- Commissioners opt to leave mask decision to school boards
- USD 362 sets new bond election date
The 2021 high school football season has concluded, and the three Linn County high school football teams had multiple players make their respective All League football teams. The Prairie View Buffalos had multiple players on this year’s All-Pioneer League team. Colton... [More]
The 2021 volleyball season has concluded, and so it is time for the Linn County News’ All County Volleyball teams. All the girls on the Prairie View, Jayhawk and Pleasanton volleyball teams played their best, but some players stood out in their excellence. These All County... [More]
- Marais des Cygnes 4-H members compete at national judging contests
- 2021 All Linn County baseball team
- Jayhawk softball falls to Belle Plaine at State
- Briley Moore finds NFL home as undrafted free agent
- Pleasanton track competes at Jayhawk Invitational
- Pleasanton baseball starts season with a pair of walk-off thrillers against Oswego
- Prairie View, Pioneer League ponder Baldwin addition
- Pleasanton girls’ basketball hopes for good season with young but experienced team
• May be mailed, e-mailed, faxed or hand delivered.
• Must be received by 9 a.m. on Tuesday morning in order to appear in that week's edition.
• Full obituaries submitted by individuals are required to be paid in advance.
• Obituaries submitted by funeral homes will be billed to the funeral home.
• Cost: $30 for 300 words or less. Each additional word over 300, 10¢. Photograph $5.
Call Barbara at 913-352-6235 or e-mail email@example.com