Linn County News
Published May 26, 2021
Sandra “Sandy” Kathleen (Cartwright) McCorkell, age 72, of Parker, went home to be with her Lord and Savior on Friday, May 21, 2021, following a short illness. Sandy was born Thursday, Sept. 30, 1948, in Paul’s Valley, Okla., the daughter of Hoyt V. Cartwright and Margie L. (Hassler) Cartwright.
As a young child the family left Lindsay, Okla., for Porterville, Calif., where Sandy received her early education, graduating from Strathmore Union High School in 1966.
Sandy married her husband of 57 years, George James McCorkell, on Oct. 8, 1964, in Tijuana, Mexico. Moving in 1968 from California to Parker, a home and family was established producing two daughters, Wendy L. (McCorkell) Werner and Kimberly J. McCorkell, both of Osawatomie, Kan.
Sandy was an amazing artist and expressed those talents in her oil paintings, cake decorating, floral arrangements, craft projects and many other creative hobbies. Her interests were expansive, and she loved learning new skills, experiencing new adventures and spending time with family and friends. Early on, Sandy worked as a nurse’s aide, owned and managed a grocery store in Centerville, Kan., eventually working for the Prairie View School District as a bus driver for several years. Sandy loved her God, family and country.
Sandy is survived by her husband, daughters and two brothers, David R. Cartwright and Dennis O. Cartwright, both of Neosho, Mo.; two grandchildren, Samuel A. Werner and Theodore J. Werner; her beloved dog Izzy; along with numerous nieces, nephews and extended family and friends.
Sandy is preceded in death by her father Hoyt V. Cartwright, mother Margie L. Cartwright, brother Hoyt D. “Danny” Cartwright, sister Judy M. (Hembree) Cartwright and nephew Benjamin O. Cartwright.
Sandy’s fun-loving spirit will be greatly missed and remembered as a loving wife, mother, grandmother, aunt and friend.
Funeral services will be held at 1 p.m. Thursday, May 27, 2021, at Plum Creek Church of Christ located at 31990 W. 363rd St., Osawatomie, KS 66064. Burial will be at Mound Creek Cemetery with church reception following burial service. Flower deliveries may be made to the church.
Linn County News Published Sept. 22, 2021 Wilhelmina “Billie” Rose Suddock, age 90, of Wichita, Kan., died Thursday, Sept. 16, 2021. In lieu of flowers, the family requests donations to the Home Health & Hospice of Kansas. Rosary... [More]
Published in the Linn County News Sept. 22, 2021 Virgil Elmer Spencer, age 82, Mound City, Kansas passed away Friday, Sept.17, 2021. He was born on August 8, 1939 in rural Mound City, Kan. the son of Elmer Allen and Thelma Barker Spencer. ... [More]
Troy E. Mitchell, age 87, of Pleasanton, Kan. passed away in Overland Park, Kan.on Friday, Sept. 17, 2021. Troy was born the son of Jesse James and Naomi Folsom Mitchell on June 23, 1934 in Kansas City, Kan. He married Ruby Venable on October 4, 1951... [More]
- Joseph Michael Dellinger 01-17-1950 to 08-20-2021
- Brett Michael Johnson 07-10-1995 to 12-12-2020
- Thomas Franklin “T.F.” Edmonds 01-14-1928 to 11-06-2020
- Vernon LeRoy “Roy” Massey 02-09-1922 to 10-07-2020
- Margaret Eileen Wier 02-15-1943 to 09-21-2020
- Elynor Ann Miller 08-28-1924 to 08-02-2020
- James J. Shannon Robinson 03-29-1980 to 08-01-2020
- Charles William “Bill” Atwood Jr. 05-31-1927 to 07-29-2020
For immediate release: September 22, 2021 On September 21, 2021, The Linn County Sheriff’s Office was given information that a student at Pleasanton USD #344 was bringing a knife to school. Information led Deputies to believe that the student may want to harm others.... [More]
By JACKIE TAYLOR Linn County News firstname.lastname@example.org After Linn County Sheriff Kevin Friend spoke on School Resource Officer (SRO) activity, County Commissioner Jim Johnson commented at their Monday meeting that the commissioners needed to clear... [More]
By JACKIE TAYLOR Linn County News email@example.com Continuing their discussion concerning annexation at their Monday meeting, the City Council spoke of Pleasanton resident Kimberly Campbell’s request for voluntary annexation... [More]
- SPECIAL: Linn County Sheriff's Office seeking identification of subject
- La Cygne awards bid for settling pond project
- Commissioners approve roof bid for fire stations
- Christmas in Linn County
- New quarantine guidelines announced, software approved for Health Department
- Wreck leaves local attorney injured
- Commissioners opt to leave mask decision to school boards
- USD 362 sets new bond election date
LINN COUNTY NEWS NEWSPAPERSRME@yahoo.com After losing their first three games, including by 30-6 at Uniontown last Friday, Pleasanton’s Blu-Jays will be looking to score first when they host Troy at 7 p.m. this Friday in a non-district matchup. “We... [More]
LINN COUNTY NEWS firstname.lastname@example.org The Prairie View football team continues to perform at a high level as they hosted Parsons on Sept. 17. The Buffalos took control of the game early on both sides of the ball, which led to an eventual 38-14 victory.... [More]
- 2021 All Linn County baseball team
- Jayhawk softball falls to Belle Plaine at State
- Briley Moore finds NFL home as undrafted free agent
- Pleasanton track competes at Jayhawk Invitational
- Pleasanton baseball starts season with a pair of walk-off thrillers against Oswego
- Prairie View, Pioneer League ponder Baldwin addition
- Pleasanton girls’ basketball hopes for good season with young but experienced team
- Prairie View football has multiple players on the All Pioneer League team
• May be mailed, e-mailed, faxed or hand delivered.
• Must be received by 9 a.m. on Tuesday morning in order to appear in that week's edition.
• Full obituaries submitted by individuals are required to be paid in advance.
• Obituaries submitted by funeral homes will be billed to the funeral home.
• Cost: $30 for 300 words or less. Each additional word over 300, 10¢. Photograph $5.
Call Barbara at 913-352-6235 or e-mail email@example.com