Stephen Russell Johnson, age 62, resident of Fort Scott, Kan., died from cardiac complications on Monday, Jan. 26, 2015, at Mercy Hospital. He was born July 12, 1952, in Paola, Kan., the son of Russell and Lena Wheeler Johnson.
He attended high school in Pleasanton, Kan. He then attended college at KU and the University of Southern California. He became a director of music videos, TV and commercials. He also made a film for Amnesty International. He won nine MTV music awards for directing the music video Sledgehammer by Peter Gabriel. Additionally, he directed videos by Dire Straits and Talking Heads. He directed the first season of the children’s TV show, “Pee Wee’s Playhouse,” for which he was nominated for a Daytime Emmy award.
Survivors include his parents, Russell and Lena Johnson, Fort Scott; and his sister, Debra Johnson and husband Rick Dobrowsky, Olathe, Kan., and their daughters, Lauren and Dana. They will miss him dearly.
Rev. Chuck Russell will conduct graveside services at 3 p.m. Friday, Jan. 30, in the Barnesville Cemetery, east of Fulton, Kan. Memorials are suggested to Doctors Without Borders and may be left in care of the Cheney Witt Chapel, P.O. Box 347, 201 S. Main, Fort Scott, Kan., 66701. Words of remembrance may be submitted to the online celebration wall at cheneywitt.com.
Larry Ray Oliver ~ 07-12-1953 to 03-22-2023
Linn County News Published March 29, 2023 Larry Ray Oliver, age 69, Pleasanton, Kan., passed away on Wednesday, March 22, 2023. Funeral service will be at 6 p.m. on Saturday, March 25, 2023, at the Schneider Funeral Home and Crematory, Pleasanton Chapel. Visitation... [More]
Buford Wayne “Bud” Lindsey ~ 11-21-1934 to 03-15-2023
Linn County News Published March 22, 2023 Bud Lindsay, age 88 of Prescott, Kan., passed away peacefully at his home Wednesday, March 15, 2023. He was born the son of Esler Roy and Bessie Clara (Deckard) Lindsay at Lebanon, Mo. Bud loved racing, working on old... [More]
Vance Laverne Bruner ~ 07-01-1959 to 03-17-2023
Linn County News Published March 22, 2023 Vance Laverne Bruner, age 63, Mound City, Kan., passed away Friday, March 17, 2023, at his home. Memorial service will be held 2 p.m. Friday, March 24, 2023, at the Schneider Funeral Home and Crematory, Mound... [More]
- Curtis Eugene Virgin ~ 09-09-1944 to 03-14-2023
- Janice Ann Leasure Woodrum ~ 05-04-1948 to 03-05-2023
- Lewis Michael Wilson ~ 08-13-1952 to 03-05-2023
- Janet Dean Robinson Staton ~ 02-16-1939 to 03-08-2023
- Margaret Ellen McRae ~ 01-30-1932 to 03-06-2023
- C.H. Parker ~ 08-24-1942 to 03-06-2023
- Louise Shattuck ~ 11-28-1933 to 03-06-2023
- Larry Ray Thompson ~ 03-30-1949 to 02-28-2023
SPECIAL: Drug operation ends with six arrests in Miami and Linn counties
MIAMI & LINN COUNTY – On Wednesday morning, the Kansas Bureau of Investigation (KBI), the Miami County Sheriff’s Office, the Linn County Sheriff’s Office, the Osawatomie Police Department, and the Pleasanton Police Department arrested six individuals... [More]
Linn County Planning & Zoning Commission says no to windmills
After meetings discussing the Linn County Comprehensive Plan and where the county should be as to allowing wind turbines, the Linn County P&Z said no 5-3 to allowing any turbines in the county. P&Z Commission Chair Richard Morrell brought the subject up after several... [More]
Heartland REC introduces possible Linn County solar field
The Linn County Planning & Zoning Commission met Tuesday evening with the first speaker on the agenda recognized from Heartland Rural Electric Cooperative (REC). Tony Washington introduced himself and said Heartland REC is interested in building a solar field in Linn County;... [More]
- County appraiser reports on valuation increases
- One-cent sales tax coming on Pleasanton ballot
- SPECIAL: Pleasanton One-Cent Sales Tax Questions
- Commissioner’s discussion on wage options gets heated
- County discusses options for Pleasanton meal site
- Parker leaders consider truck route
- Council approves land grant for riding academy
- USD 362 selects new leader
2022-23 All County Boys’ Basketball team
The season for the Linn County high school boys’ basketball teams is over and it’s time for this year’s All County Boys’ Basketball team. This year, there is a first and second team with five players on each team from the three local high schools, Prairie... [More]
2022-23 All County Girls’ Basketball team
The season for the Linn County high school girls’ basketball teams is over and it’s time for this year’s All County Girls’ Basketball team. This year, there is a first and second team with five players on each team from the three local high schools,... [More]
- Linn County Twisters takes 13 to State, 5 place
- Lady Buffs win 1, fall in semifinals
- Pleasanton basketball falls in the first round of Sub-State
- White places sixth for Jayhawk wrestling at State
- Kline and Cox-Halliburton represent Prairie View at State
- Prairie View basketball splits against Anderson County
- Lady Hawks double up Altoona
- Pleasanton basketball defeats Bronaugh, falls to Cherokee
• May be mailed, e-mailed, faxed or hand delivered.
• Must be received by 9 a.m. on Tuesday morning in order to appear in that week's edition.
• Full obituaries submitted by individuals are required to be paid in advance.
• Obituaries submitted by funeral homes will be billed to the funeral home.
• Cost: $30 for 300 words or less. Each additional word over 300, 10¢. Photograph $5.
Call Barbara at 913-352-6235 or e-mail email@example.com