Sylva Alletie Jenkins
07-13-1932 to 11-14-2019
Linn County News
Published Nov. 20, 2019
Sylva Alletie Jenkins, age 87, a resident of rural Blue Mound, Kan., died Thursday, Nov. 14, 2019, at her home. She was born July 13, 1932, with a twin sister, Sarah, in Kansas City, Kan., the daughter of Erma (Cooper) and James Hawkins.
Sylva met George Barker Jenkins Jr. while attending Wyandotte High School her junior year, 1950, graduating in 1951. Sylva married George Sept. 26, 1952, in Kansas City, Kan. Sylva and George lived in Corpus Christi, Texas, from July 1954 to February 1957 while George served in the Navy, afterward returning to Kansas City.
Sylva worked several years as a telephone operator for Bell Telephone. She left work to become a homemaker. Sylva brought two sons into the world: Ronald Allen, 1960, and Sylla Clay, 1968. In 1972 Sylva and George moved their family to a farm south of Blue Mound.
Sylva was a woman of many talents. Sewing,
cooking, baking, gardening, flower arrangements, artwork, teaching, raising
chickens, reading, and attending all events in support of her family. Sylva
loved spending time with her sons and grandchildren, visiting Branson, Mo., and
traveling with her family.
Sylva was a devoted member and elder to her church, Community of Christ, including the Grandview, Mo., and Mapleton, Kan., congregations. Sylva loved her church family and served her church in many capacities. She shared her love and commitment to our Lord with everyone. One favorite way to share was through her famous chalk talks. Sylva put great importance on her work for the Lord.
Survivors include her sons, Ronald and companion Kathryn, and Sylla and wife Mary; sister Shirley Callahan and husband Les; brothers Jimmy Hawkins and wife Sherry, and Don Hawkins and wife Pat; brothers-in-law Hulen Jenkins and wife Pat, Burly Jenkins and wife Marcia, and Richard Jenkins and wife Carol; grandchildren Jodi Jenkins and companion Carey, Jared Jenkins and wife Jessica, Jonna Jenkins and companion Mike, Tyler Jenkins, Jamie Garza, Yansi Bailey and husband Walter, and Rocio; 16 great grandchildren, Matthew, Jordan, Joshua, Mariah, Prestyn Jenkins, Preston Bailey, Katey, Trapper, Ruger, Thomas, Nahla, Levi, Reni, Cora, Kiley and Jace; and many close nieces, nephews, cousins, church family and friends.
Sylva was preceded in death by her twin sister, Sarah Tharp; her husband, George; her parents; and daughter-in-law Pamela Jenkins.
Funeral service will be 11 a.m. Thursday, Nov. 21, 2019, at the Mapleton Community of Christ. Burial will be in the Mapleton Cemetery. Visitation will be held from 5-7 p.m. Wednesday, Nov. 20, 2019, at the Schneider Funeral Home and Crematory, Mound City Chapel.
Contributions are suggested to Mapleton Community of Christ. Online condolences can be left at www.schneiderfunerals.com.
Linn County News Published April 21, 2021 John William Woodburn, 76, died March 7, 2021 in Baxter Regional Medical Center in Mountain Home, Ark. Graveside services will be held on Saturday, April 24, at 2 p.m. at the Pleasanton Cemetery in Pleasanton, Kan.,... [More]
Linn County News Published April 14, 2021 Cecil L. Fish, 89, Ottawa, Kan., and former longtime Labette County resident, passed away Thursday, April 8, 2021, at his home. Cecil was born the third child to Cecil Paige and Edna (Nickoley) Fish on Dec. 7, 1931, in... [More]
Linn County News Published April 14, 2021 William Michael McMillan, age 60, of St. Joseph, Mo., passed away on Thursday, April 8, 2021. He was born on Aug. 24, 1960, in Kansas City, Mo., the son of William McMillan and Virginia Russell McMillan. He... [More]
- Brett Michael Johnson 07-10-1995 to 12-12-2020
- Thomas Franklin “T.F.” Edmonds 01-14-1928 to 11-06-2020
- Vernon LeRoy “Roy” Massey 02-09-1922 to 10-07-2020
- Margaret Eileen Wier 02-15-1943 to 09-21-2020
- Elynor Ann Miller 08-28-1924 to 08-02-2020
- James J. Shannon Robinson 03-29-1980 to 08-01-2020
- Charles William “Bill” Atwood Jr. 05-31-1927 to 07-29-2020
- Verna Louise Bright 09-06-1935 to 07-30-2020
Linn County News Published April 21, 2021 Floyd Arthur Holmes (or Arthur Floyd Holmes, it was never clear which) passed away peacefully at his residence at Grandwood Assisted Living in Grove, Okla., on Feb. 13, 2021, exactly one month after celebrating his... [More]
The Mound City Council met by phone for a special meeting on Tuesday afternoon, April 6, for the purpose of determining whether or not to reopen the discussions on the sale of the city lake. During the course of that meeting, the council voted to go forward with the discussions... [More]
Customers are spared a billing shock La Cygne natural gas customers will not feel the burden of a high February supplier invoice. The unanimous decision by its council followed a 15-minute executive session for legal attorney-client privilege at its regular meeting... [More]
- Commissioners approve roof bid for fire stations
- Christmas in Linn County
- New quarantine guidelines announced, software approved for Health Department
- Wreck leaves local attorney injured
- Commissioners opt to leave mask decision to school boards
- USD 362 sets new bond election date
- Cattle industry feeling the impact of COVID-19
- LC Sheriff’s Office joins Crimes Against Children Task Force
Prairie View got contributions from many sources in their April 6 softball doubleheader sweep of Iola. Wins of 10-3 and 18-8 over the Fillies raised the Lady Buffalos’ Pioneer League record to 4-0, 5-0 overall, to begin this week. The team will host a non-league twinbill... [More]
The Jayhawk JV golf team did well last week. On April 5 they traveled to Erie and on April 6 they went to Fort Scott for a tournament hosted by Uniontown. In the Erie tournament they only brought three golfers so they could not place as a team, but at the Uniontown tournament... [More]
- Pleasanton baseball starts season with a pair of walk-off thrillers against Oswego
- Prairie View, Pioneer League ponder Baldwin addition
- Pleasanton girls’ basketball hopes for good season with young but experienced team
- Prairie View football has multiple players on the All Pioneer League team
- Prairie View football starts playoffs strong with dominant win over Caney Valley
- Jayhawk football falls to West Franklin
- Pleasanton football falls to Olpe
- Pleasanton football falls in close game to Uniontown on Homecoming