Thomas William Johnson, age 72, of La Cygne, Kan., died Feb. 16, 2016, at his home.
Thomas was born Jan. 9, 1944, in Paola, Kan. He is the younger of two children born to Kenneth Edward and Earlena (Cox) Johnson. His family moved to California after he was born and Thomas went to grade school in California before the family returned to the La Cygne area where he lived with his grandparents Jess and Sadie Cox.
Thomas graduated from La Cygne Rural High School in 1962.
The following year, Thomas married Joyce Elaine Arnold on July 7, 1963, in La Cygne, Kan. Together they had four children: Bryan Lee, Theresa Lynn, Daren Edward and Brent Arnold. Thomas and Joyce have lived in the La Cygne area ever since.
After high school, Thomas worked for Pitman Manufacturing in Grandview, Mo., which later became RO Products in Olathe, Kan. In 1972, Thomas started working for KCP&L as a scrubber operator in the AQC at the La Cygne generating station, where he could be close to home. In 2004, he retired after nearly 33 years with the company.
As a boy growing up, Thomas enjoyed fishing and hunting. He continued to enjoy these hobbies his entire life, fishing often with his wife Joyce and hunting with his children and grandchildren. He especially looked forward to deer season every year. Thomas enjoyed other shooting pastimes as well, competing in local trap-shooting competitions, and cowboy action shooting in the Linn County area. He was a member of the original La Cygne Christian Church as well as the Masonic Lodge #61 of La Cygne. Thomas was a loving husband, father, grandfather and great-grandfather.
Thomas is preceded in death by his parents; his son Bryan; his great-grandson Hayden White; and his sister Geraldine.
He is survived by his wife of nearly 53 years, Joyce; two sons Daren Johnson, Brent Johnson and wife, Niejsa, of La Cygne; daughter Theresa Munson and husband, Martin, of rural Cadmus, Kan.; his four grandchildren: Cole Munson, Randi White and husband, Erik, Courtney Fleming and Zackary Fleming; his four great-grandchildren: Taylor, Kayleigh, Jocelynn and Grayson.
Private family services. Burial in the Oaklawn Cemetery, La Cygne. Memorials are to the Hayden White Memorial Scholarship Fund and may be sent in c/o Eddy-Birchard Funeral Home, P.O. Box 430, Osawatomie, KS 66064.
Published in the Linn County News Karen Joyce Hughes Kidwell, 73, of Linn Valley, Kan. passed away September 10th at her home. She was born Sept. 9, 1948 in Kansas City, Kan. She was a graduate of Shawnee Mission North High School, Bethany Hospital... [More]
Linn County News Published Sept. 15, 2021 Leota Vondell Burris, age 85, Mound City, Kan., passed away on Thursday, Sept. 9, 2021. She was born in Marceline, Mo., on Aug. 30, 1936, the daughter of Thomas B. and Estel A. Watson Adams. She... [More]
Linn County News Published Sept. 15, 2021 Janet (Brown) Maschino, 64, of rural Pleasanton and Parsons, passed away peacefully at 3:13 a.m. Thursday, Sept. 9, 2021, at her daughter’s home in Erie. Janet’s story starts on March... [More]
- Joseph Michael Dellinger 01-17-1950 to 08-20-2021
- Brett Michael Johnson 07-10-1995 to 12-12-2020
- Thomas Franklin “T.F.” Edmonds 01-14-1928 to 11-06-2020
- Vernon LeRoy “Roy” Massey 02-09-1922 to 10-07-2020
- Margaret Eileen Wier 02-15-1943 to 09-21-2020
- Elynor Ann Miller 08-28-1924 to 08-02-2020
- James J. Shannon Robinson 03-29-1980 to 08-01-2020
- Charles William “Bill” Atwood Jr. 05-31-1927 to 07-29-2020
New IRS plan in $3.5 trillion spending package opens consumer checking accounts to federal oversight
By JACKIE TAYLOR Linn County News email@example.com Consumers beware as President Biden’s $3.5 trillion spending package advances through Congress as much of the cost will come from new oversight on personal checking accounts. The oversight... [More]
Former Cox Motor Co. building, potential site for school By JACKIE TAYLOR Linn County News firstname.lastname@example.org Entering executive session for data relating to partnerships, the Pleasanton City Council spent 50 minutes discussing a partnership... [More]
A hearing at Linn County District Court for 2019-CR-000210, State of Kansas versus Lonnie Shane Martin, was held Friday afternoon for a no go preliminary where Assistant County Attorney Justin Meeks informed District Judge Terri Johnson that the state was withdrawing... [More]
- SPECIAL: Linn County Sheriff's Office seeking identification of subject
- La Cygne awards bid for settling pond project
- Commissioners approve roof bid for fire stations
- Christmas in Linn County
- New quarantine guidelines announced, software approved for Health Department
- Wreck leaves local attorney injured
- Commissioners opt to leave mask decision to school boards
- USD 362 sets new bond election date
It’s been a bumpy start to the 2021 season for Jayhawk-Linn’s football team. A roster with 19 underclassmen (freshmen and sophomores) among its 32 members missed both their Aug. 27 home jamboree with Pleasanton and Erie because of COVID-19 and its scheduled... [More]
BY ADAM HOLT LINN COUNTY NEWS email@example.com The Prairie View cross country teams traveled to Fort Scott on Sept. 9 to compete in the Fort Scott Invitational. The Buffalos again performed well as the varsity girls won as a team. Head Coach Marcie Caldwell... [More]
- 2021 All Linn County baseball team
- Jayhawk softball falls to Belle Plaine at State
- Briley Moore finds NFL home as undrafted free agent
- Pleasanton track competes at Jayhawk Invitational
- Pleasanton baseball starts season with a pair of walk-off thrillers against Oswego
- Prairie View, Pioneer League ponder Baldwin addition
- Pleasanton girls’ basketball hopes for good season with young but experienced team
- Prairie View football has multiple players on the All Pioneer League team
• May be mailed, e-mailed, faxed or hand delivered.
• Must be received by 9 a.m. on Tuesday morning in order to appear in that week's edition.
• Full obituaries submitted by individuals are required to be paid in advance.
• Obituaries submitted by funeral homes will be billed to the funeral home.
• Cost: $30 for 300 words or less. Each additional word over 300, 10¢. Photograph $5.
Call Barbara at 913-352-6235 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org