Thomas William Johnson, age 72, of La Cygne, Kan., died Feb. 16, 2016, at his home.
Thomas was born Jan. 9, 1944, in Paola, Kan. He is the younger of two children born to Kenneth Edward and Earlena (Cox) Johnson. His family moved to California after he was born and Thomas went to grade school in California before the family returned to the La Cygne area where he lived with his grandparents Jess and Sadie Cox.
Thomas graduated from La Cygne Rural High School in 1962.
The following year, Thomas married Joyce Elaine Arnold on July 7, 1963, in La Cygne, Kan. Together they had four children: Bryan Lee, Theresa Lynn, Daren Edward and Brent Arnold. Thomas and Joyce have lived in the La Cygne area ever since.
After high school, Thomas worked for Pitman Manufacturing in Grandview, Mo., which later became RO Products in Olathe, Kan. In 1972, Thomas started working for KCP&L as a scrubber operator in the AQC at the La Cygne generating station, where he could be close to home. In 2004, he retired after nearly 33 years with the company.
As a boy growing up, Thomas enjoyed fishing and hunting. He continued to enjoy these hobbies his entire life, fishing often with his wife Joyce and hunting with his children and grandchildren. He especially looked forward to deer season every year. Thomas enjoyed other shooting pastimes as well, competing in local trap-shooting competitions, and cowboy action shooting in the Linn County area. He was a member of the original La Cygne Christian Church as well as the Masonic Lodge #61 of La Cygne. Thomas was a loving husband, father, grandfather and great-grandfather.
Thomas is preceded in death by his parents; his son Bryan; his great-grandson Hayden White; and his sister Geraldine.
He is survived by his wife of nearly 53 years, Joyce; two sons Daren Johnson, Brent Johnson and wife, Niejsa, of La Cygne; daughter Theresa Munson and husband, Martin, of rural Cadmus, Kan.; his four grandchildren: Cole Munson, Randi White and husband, Erik, Courtney Fleming and Zackary Fleming; his four great-grandchildren: Taylor, Kayleigh, Jocelynn and Grayson.
Private family services. Burial in the Oaklawn Cemetery, La Cygne. Memorials are to the Hayden White Memorial Scholarship Fund and may be sent in c/o Eddy-Birchard Funeral Home, P.O. Box 430, Osawatomie, KS 66064.
Linn County News Published Aug. 3, 2022 Patsy Lucille Smith, age 59, Pleasanton, Kan., passed away peacefully in her home, surrounded by family Sunday, July 31, 2022. She was born on June 15, 1963, in Parsons, Kan., the daughter of George William (Bill) and Mary Jo (Jones)... [More]
Linn County News Published August 3, 2022 Fred Ahlemann, age 84, Overland Park, Kan., passed away Friday, July 29, 2022. Funeral service will be held 11 a.m. Saturday, Aug. 13, 2022, at St. Mark’s Lutheran Church, Olathe, Kan. Graveside service will be 3 p.m. Saturday,... [More]
Linn County News Published Aug. 3, 2022 Janet L. Toms, age 69, Pleasanton, Kan., passed away Wednesday, July 27, 2022. She was born on May 25, 1953, in Paola, Kan., to Kenneth and Fontella Butler Stainbrook. She graduated from Prairie View High School and... [More]
- Joseph Michael Dellinger 01-17-1950 to 08-20-2021
- Brett Michael Johnson 07-10-1995 to 12-12-2020
- Thomas Franklin “T.F.” Edmonds 01-14-1928 to 11-06-2020
- Vernon LeRoy “Roy” Massey 02-09-1922 to 10-07-2020
- Margaret Eileen Wier 02-15-1943 to 09-21-2020
- Elynor Ann Miller 08-28-1924 to 08-02-2020
- James J. Shannon Robinson 03-29-1980 to 08-01-2020
- Charles William “Bill” Atwood Jr. 05-31-1927 to 07-29-2020
Following the governor’s recent approval of legislation created to show when taxing entities are increasing mill levies, additional costs to taxpayers are coming to the forefront, despite some holding taxes to the same level using revenue neutral rates. Kansaspolicy.org... [More]
Following opening statements at Monday’s Pleasanton City Council meeting, public speaker Mike Higgins took the podium and told the council that he was talking to former Olive’s Hope building owner Brandon McGinnis concerning the sale of the building to a family that... [More]
Two of the county departments geared toward public safety are now under new direction. Missy Lancaster took over the Linn County Health Department as well as the position of Public Health Officer in November of last year and has made a few changes to the department since... [More]
- Mayors, councils speak on infrastructure defunding proposal
- Mound City Council looks to add campsites to lake
- SPECIAL: Linn County Sheriff's Office seeking identification of subject
- La Cygne awards bid for settling pond project
- Commissioners approve roof bid for fire stations
- Christmas in Linn County
- New quarantine guidelines announced, software approved for Health Department
- Wreck leaves local attorney injured
Linn County has a new competitive softball team, Total Effect Softball, which will be based out of Mound City. Jayhawk-Linn head softball coach Kris Holt started the team and will be the head coach of Total Effect. Holt had multiple reasons on why he wanted to start a competitive... [More]
Fishing has slowed down since the last reports on June 27, but fish are still being caught and can be even better in the coming weeks with some cooler weather and more rain. All the reports were last updated on July 18. La Cygne Lake Catfish, largemouth and crappie are the... [More]
- Hume splits home season openers
- Marais des Cygnes 4-H members compete at national judging contests
- 2021 All Linn County baseball team
- Jayhawk softball falls to Belle Plaine at State
- Briley Moore finds NFL home as undrafted free agent
- Pleasanton track competes at Jayhawk Invitational
- Pleasanton baseball starts season with a pair of walk-off thrillers against Oswego
- Prairie View, Pioneer League ponder Baldwin addition
• May be mailed, e-mailed, faxed or hand delivered.
• Must be received by 9 a.m. on Tuesday morning in order to appear in that week's edition.
• Full obituaries submitted by individuals are required to be paid in advance.
• Obituaries submitted by funeral homes will be billed to the funeral home.
• Cost: $30 for 300 words or less. Each additional word over 300, 10¢. Photograph $5.
Call Barbara at 913-352-6235 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org