Vannie Hugh (Van) Michael was born Oct. 16, 1938, to parents, Oscar Arthur and Leta Barton Michael, in Sickles, Caddo County, Okla. He passed away in Seton Highland Lakes Hospital after a tragic accident at his home in Burnet (Silver Creek) on Aug. 17, 2015.
His family lived in rural Colorado (near the little community of Kim), where, as a young man, he trained horses for many of the local ranchers. He was baptized into the Reorganized Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints on June 25, 1950. After his parents were divorced in 1950, he lived with his loving grandparents, Vannie and Ivy Michael, in Pritchett, Colo., until he graduated from high school.
During Van’s life, he was always a cowboy at heart – having started on the rodeo circuit at the age of 13. He went on to pursue his dream and became a professional bronc rider reaching national finals and winning many trophies, saddles and belt buckles throughout the years.
He was a welder and did pipeline work all over the U.S. and Canada from 1967 to 2013. He was also a lowboy driver and hauled heavy equipment cross-country. He owned and operated many drilling companies and bought, refurbished and sold drilling equipment in the U.S., Canada and Mexico. He was a member of the Operating Engineers Local 234 Union, Des Moines, Iowa, and a member of Teamsters Local 150, Sacramento, Calif.
Van is survived by his loving wife, Mary Lee Michael, whom he married on Dec. 11, 2009; his son, Derek Van Michael of Burnet; and daughter, Danielle Michael of Kansas; four grandsons, his namesake Van Arthur Michael, Dalton Karr; Gavin Tice and Jarren Lewis; one granddaughter, Jacey Lewis; a stepdaughter, Lisa Tice; a stepson, Ed Lewis; two sisters, Virginia Michael Owens of Burnet, and Debbie Rochester and husband Johnny Rochester of Burnet; and sister-in-law Dolores Michael of Burnet; as well as numerous nieces, nephews, cousins and a host of life-long friends and acquaintances.
Van was predeceased by his loving grandparents who raised him; both parents; his son Joe Michael; three brothers, Robert L. Michael Sr., A. J. Michael and William Michael; a sister, Fern Michael Smith; two stepchildren, Tina Lewis and Jason Lewis; a nephew, Dennis Michael; and a niece, Deena Michael.
Funeral services were at the funeral home chapel on Friday, Aug. 21, with burial following at Post Mountain Cemetery in Burnet, Texas.
Funeral arrangements made by Edgar & Jenkins Family Funeral Home, 109 North Main Street, Burnet, Texas 78611 (512) 756-4444.
Debra Dale Wolf ~ 04-03-1954 to 03-22-2023
Linn County News Published March 29, 2023 Debra Dale Wolf, age 68, Linn Valley, Kan., passed away Wednesday, March 22, 2023. Graveside funeral service will be held 2 p.m. Wednesday, March 29, 2023, at the Trading Post Cemetery. Memorial contributions... [More]
Jessica Erin Cox ~ 11-15-1979 to 03-20-2023
Linn County News Published March 29, 2023 Jessica Erin Cox, beloved daughter, and granddaughter, passed away at her home in Lawrence, Kan., March 20, 2023. Jessica was born Nov. 15, 1979, at the University of Kansas Medical Center. She was a graduate of Shawnee... [More]
Larry Ray Oliver ~ 07-12-1953 to 03-22-2023
Linn County News Published March 29, 2023 Larry Ray Oliver, age 69, Pleasanton, Kan., passed away on Wednesday, March 22, 2023. Funeral service will be at 6 p.m. on Saturday, March 25, 2023, at the Schneider Funeral Home and Crematory, Pleasanton Chapel. Visitation... [More]
- Buford Wayne “Bud” Lindsey ~ 11-21-1934 to 03-15-2023
- Vance Laverne Bruner ~ 07-01-1959 to 03-17-2023
- Curtis Eugene Virgin ~ 09-09-1944 to 03-14-2023
- Janice Ann Leasure Woodrum ~ 05-04-1948 to 03-05-2023
- Lewis Michael Wilson ~ 08-13-1952 to 03-05-2023
- Janet Dean Robinson Staton ~ 02-16-1939 to 03-08-2023
- Margaret Ellen McRae ~ 01-30-1932 to 03-06-2023
- C.H. Parker ~ 08-24-1942 to 03-06-2023
Special: Governor issues declaration of disaster emergency due to threat of wildland fires
Governor Laura Kelly issued a verbal declaration of disaster emergency this morning, March 31, due to the potential for wildland fires and severe storms in the state. The declaration will allow the state to preposition assets for a quicker response to any fires... [More]
Commissioners discuss Pleasanton meal site options
During the latter part of the meeting on Monday, March 27, Linn County Commissioners discussed the walk-through on Wednesday, March 22 at the former Memaw’s Kitchen located at 6th and Main Streets in Pleasanton. Economic Development Director Jessica Hightower read notes... [More]
Linn Valley moves forward with water, sewer project
“Positive ramifications” for the city Following a 15-minute legal session called by Linn Valley Mayor Cindy Smith at their Monday meeting, the mayor announced a preliminary agreement with Rural Water District #1 for water rights in Linn Valley. Smith... [More]
- USD 362 leader asks to broaden policy
- SPECIAL: National Walking Day on Wednesday, April 5th
- SPECIAL: Drug operation ends with six arrests in Miami and Linn counties
- Linn County Planning & Zoning Commission says no to windmills
- Heartland REC introduces possible Linn County solar field
- County appraiser reports on valuation increases
- One-cent sales tax coming on Pleasanton ballot
- SPECIAL: Pleasanton One-Cent Sales Tax Questions
Prairie View competes at State Powerlifting meet
The Prairie View Buffalos competed in the State Powerlifting meet on March 25. The meet had 285 total lifters and the Buffalos took 16 boys and nine girls to the event. Prairie View had two lifters place second in their respective weight divisions at the meet. Rhett Jackman,... [More]
Jayhawk softball and baseball open season against Southeast Cherokee
The Jayhawk baseball and softball teams opened their 2023 season at home against Southeast Cherokee on March 27. Both softball and baseball teams played a double header and the boys split while the girls swept the Lancers. Baseball won their first game 3-0 but lost the second... [More]
- 2022-23 All County Girls’ Basketball team
- Jayhawk Wrestling Club has five place at State
- Linn County Twisters takes 13 to State, 5 place
- Lady Buffs win 1, fall in semifinals
- Pleasanton basketball falls in the first round of Sub-State
- White places sixth for Jayhawk wrestling at State
- Kline and Cox-Halliburton represent Prairie View at State
- Prairie View basketball splits against Anderson County
• May be mailed, e-mailed, faxed or hand delivered.
• Must be received by 9 a.m. on Tuesday morning in order to appear in that week's edition.
• Full obituaries submitted by individuals are required to be paid in advance.
• Obituaries submitted by funeral homes will be billed to the funeral home.
• Cost: $30 for 300 words or less. Each additional word over 300, 10¢. Photograph $5.
Call Barbara at 913-352-6235 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org