William Henry “Bill” Lewis, age 85 of Amsterdam, Mo., died Sunday, Dec. 6, 2015, in Amsterdam. He was born Oct. 22, 1930, to Percy Wallis and Alice Loraine Russell Lewis in Merwin, Mo.
Bill, one of ten children, grew up in and was a lifelong resident of Amsterdam. He attended Willow Branch Grade School and Amsterdam High School.
On Jan. 25, 1951, he was united in marriage to Marjorie Lea McClanahan and to this union five children were born. Bill was a farmer and raised cattle. He also worked as a rural mail carrier for 20 years. Bill started a port-a-potty business before selling in 2005. Bill was very active in his community. He served on the ASCS Board, was a member of the Beefmaster Association and also served as president of the Miami School Board.
Bill enjoyed working with the 4-H kids, woodworking, and was a talented furniture maker. He made furniture for all his family—and handcrafted several wood pieces for all of his nephews and nieces. Bill could always be found at the school and sporting events of his grandchildren and great-grandchildren.
Bill is survived by his wife, Marjorie Lea Lewis, of Amsterdam, Mo.; three sons Richard Lee Lewis and wife, Kathy, and Charles William Lewis and wife, Carol, all of Amsterdam, Mo., and Roy Wallis Lewis and significant other Karen Higgs of Adrian, Mo.; two daughters Carolyn Loraine Bridges and husband, Mike, and Cathryn Sue Slattery and husband, Dennis, all of Amsterdam, Mo.; one brother Jack Lewis and wife, Betty, of Butler, Mo.; three sisters Jean Thornbrugh and husband, Eugene, of Vacaville, Calif., Fern Lewis of LaMirda, Calif., and Judy White and husband, Larry, of Butler, Mo.; 17 grandchildren Chad Lewis and significant other Michelle Blossom-Scheele, Christy DeBruin and husband, Rick, Andy Lewis and wife, Cristy, Carrie Wilson and husband, Tommy, Kyle Lewis and wife, Megan, Kelsey Dean and husband, Phillip, Chris Bridges and wife, Heather, Evan Bridges and significant other Ashley Jacquinot, Darren Bridges and wife, Nikki, Austin Bridges and significant other Taylor Swezey, Ryan Slattery and significant other Cassy VanGilder, Jenna Slattery, Caitlin Slattery, Megan Lewis, Rian Lewis, Zachary Lewis and Clay Mellgren and wife, Therese; and 19 great-grandchildren.
He was preceded in death by his parents; two brothers Don and Charles; two sisters Doris Luttrell and husband, Norman, and Geral Filbeck and husband, Cub; one brother-in-law Bill Lewis; an infant sister Elsie Irene Lewis; one grandson Jared Slattery; and in-laws Roy and Carolene McClanahan.
Funeral services were Friday, Dec. 11, 2015, at Schowengerdt Funeral Chapel (660-679-6555) in Butler, Mo., with Pastor Chris Frost officiating. Burial in West Point Cemetery, Amsterdam, Mo.
Contributions to Amsterdam Baptist Church or Heartland Hospice. Online condolences, www.schowengerdtchapel.com.
Linn County News Published Aug. 10, 2022 Larry Sumners, age 68, of Centerville, Kan., passed away on Monday, Aug. 1, 2022, at the Overland Park Regional Medical Center in Overland Park, Kan. Laurence A. Sumners was born on Aug. 16, 1953, at McPherson,... [More]
Linn County News Published Aug. 10, 2022 It is with great sadness to announce the passing of Michael Ekkehard Reinsch, a beloved brother, father, uncle and grandfather. Michael passed away on Wednesday, June 22, 2022, at Augusta University Medical Center. Michael... [More]
Linn County News Published Aug. 10, 2022 Rosetta May Beard, age 99, La Cygne, Kan., passed away Wednesday, Aug. 3, 2022. Graveside funeral service will be 10 a.m. Monday, Aug. 8, at the Oak Lawn Cemetery, La Cygne, Kan. Memorial contributions are suggested... [More]
- Joseph Michael Dellinger 01-17-1950 to 08-20-2021
- Brett Michael Johnson 07-10-1995 to 12-12-2020
- Thomas Franklin “T.F.” Edmonds 01-14-1928 to 11-06-2020
- Vernon LeRoy “Roy” Massey 02-09-1922 to 10-07-2020
- Margaret Eileen Wier 02-15-1943 to 09-21-2020
- Elynor Ann Miller 08-28-1924 to 08-02-2020
- James J. Shannon Robinson 03-29-1980 to 08-01-2020
- Charles William “Bill” Atwood Jr. 05-31-1927 to 07-29-2020
Following the governor’s recent approval of legislation created to show when taxing entities are increasing mill levies, additional costs to taxpayers are coming to the forefront, despite some holding taxes to the same level using revenue neutral rates. Kansaspolicy.org... [More]
Following opening statements at Monday’s Pleasanton City Council meeting, public speaker Mike Higgins took the podium and told the council that he was talking to former Olive’s Hope building owner Brandon McGinnis concerning the sale of the building to a family that... [More]
Two of the county departments geared toward public safety are now under new direction. Missy Lancaster took over the Linn County Health Department as well as the position of Public Health Officer in November of last year and has made a few changes to the department since... [More]
- Mayors, councils speak on infrastructure defunding proposal
- Mound City Council looks to add campsites to lake
- SPECIAL: Linn County Sheriff's Office seeking identification of subject
- La Cygne awards bid for settling pond project
- Commissioners approve roof bid for fire stations
- Christmas in Linn County
- New quarantine guidelines announced, software approved for Health Department
- Wreck leaves local attorney injured
Linn County has a new competitive softball team, Total Effect Softball, which will be based out of Mound City. Jayhawk-Linn head softball coach Kris Holt started the team and will be the head coach of Total Effect. Holt had multiple reasons on why he wanted to start a competitive... [More]
Fishing has slowed down since the last reports on June 27, but fish are still being caught and can be even better in the coming weeks with some cooler weather and more rain. All the reports were last updated on July 18. La Cygne Lake Catfish, largemouth and crappie are the... [More]
- Hume splits home season openers
- Marais des Cygnes 4-H members compete at national judging contests
- 2021 All Linn County baseball team
- Jayhawk softball falls to Belle Plaine at State
- Briley Moore finds NFL home as undrafted free agent
- Pleasanton track competes at Jayhawk Invitational
- Pleasanton baseball starts season with a pair of walk-off thrillers against Oswego
- Prairie View, Pioneer League ponder Baldwin addition
• May be mailed, e-mailed, faxed or hand delivered.
• Must be received by 9 a.m. on Tuesday morning in order to appear in that week's edition.
• Full obituaries submitted by individuals are required to be paid in advance.
• Obituaries submitted by funeral homes will be billed to the funeral home.
• Cost: $30 for 300 words or less. Each additional word over 300, 10¢. Photograph $5.
Call Barbara at 913-352-6235 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org