William Henry “Bill” Lewis, age 85 of Amsterdam, Mo., died Sunday, Dec. 6, 2015, in Amsterdam. He was born Oct. 22, 1930, to Percy Wallis and Alice Loraine Russell Lewis in Merwin, Mo.
Bill, one of ten children, grew up in and was a lifelong resident of Amsterdam. He attended Willow Branch Grade School and Amsterdam High School.
On Jan. 25, 1951, he was united in marriage to Marjorie Lea McClanahan and to this union five children were born. Bill was a farmer and raised cattle. He also worked as a rural mail carrier for 20 years. Bill started a port-a-potty business before selling in 2005. Bill was very active in his community. He served on the ASCS Board, was a member of the Beefmaster Association and also served as president of the Miami School Board.
Bill enjoyed working with the 4-H kids, woodworking, and was a talented furniture maker. He made furniture for all his family—and handcrafted several wood pieces for all of his nephews and nieces. Bill could always be found at the school and sporting events of his grandchildren and great-grandchildren.
Bill is survived by his wife, Marjorie Lea Lewis, of Amsterdam, Mo.; three sons Richard Lee Lewis and wife, Kathy, and Charles William Lewis and wife, Carol, all of Amsterdam, Mo., and Roy Wallis Lewis and significant other Karen Higgs of Adrian, Mo.; two daughters Carolyn Loraine Bridges and husband, Mike, and Cathryn Sue Slattery and husband, Dennis, all of Amsterdam, Mo.; one brother Jack Lewis and wife, Betty, of Butler, Mo.; three sisters Jean Thornbrugh and husband, Eugene, of Vacaville, Calif., Fern Lewis of LaMirda, Calif., and Judy White and husband, Larry, of Butler, Mo.; 17 grandchildren Chad Lewis and significant other Michelle Blossom-Scheele, Christy DeBruin and husband, Rick, Andy Lewis and wife, Cristy, Carrie Wilson and husband, Tommy, Kyle Lewis and wife, Megan, Kelsey Dean and husband, Phillip, Chris Bridges and wife, Heather, Evan Bridges and significant other Ashley Jacquinot, Darren Bridges and wife, Nikki, Austin Bridges and significant other Taylor Swezey, Ryan Slattery and significant other Cassy VanGilder, Jenna Slattery, Caitlin Slattery, Megan Lewis, Rian Lewis, Zachary Lewis and Clay Mellgren and wife, Therese; and 19 great-grandchildren.
He was preceded in death by his parents; two brothers Don and Charles; two sisters Doris Luttrell and husband, Norman, and Geral Filbeck and husband, Cub; one brother-in-law Bill Lewis; an infant sister Elsie Irene Lewis; one grandson Jared Slattery; and in-laws Roy and Carolene McClanahan.
Funeral services were Friday, Dec. 11, 2015, at Schowengerdt Funeral Chapel (660-679-6555) in Butler, Mo., with Pastor Chris Frost officiating. Burial in West Point Cemetery, Amsterdam, Mo.
Contributions to Amsterdam Baptist Church or Heartland Hospice. Online condolences, www.schowengerdtchapel.com.
Linn County News Published Sept. 22, 2021 Wilhelmina “Billie” Rose Suddock, age 90, of Wichita, Kan., died Thursday, Sept. 16, 2021. In lieu of flowers, the family requests donations to the Home Health & Hospice of Kansas. Rosary... [More]
Published in the Linn County News Sept. 22, 2021 Virgil Elmer Spencer, age 82, Mound City, Kansas passed away Friday, Sept.17, 2021. He was born on August 8, 1939 in rural Mound City, Kan. the son of Elmer Allen and Thelma Barker Spencer. ... [More]
Troy E. Mitchell, age 87, of Pleasanton, Kan. passed away in Overland Park, Kan.on Friday, Sept. 17, 2021. Troy was born the son of Jesse James and Naomi Folsom Mitchell on June 23, 1934 in Kansas City, Kan. He married Ruby Venable on October 4, 1951... [More]
- Joseph Michael Dellinger 01-17-1950 to 08-20-2021
- Brett Michael Johnson 07-10-1995 to 12-12-2020
- Thomas Franklin “T.F.” Edmonds 01-14-1928 to 11-06-2020
- Vernon LeRoy “Roy” Massey 02-09-1922 to 10-07-2020
- Margaret Eileen Wier 02-15-1943 to 09-21-2020
- Elynor Ann Miller 08-28-1924 to 08-02-2020
- James J. Shannon Robinson 03-29-1980 to 08-01-2020
- Charles William “Bill” Atwood Jr. 05-31-1927 to 07-29-2020
For immediate release: September 22, 2021 On September 21, 2021, The Linn County Sheriff’s Office was given information that a student at Pleasanton USD #344 was bringing a knife to school. Information led Deputies to believe that the student may want to harm others.... [More]
By JACKIE TAYLOR Linn County News firstname.lastname@example.org After Linn County Sheriff Kevin Friend spoke on School Resource Officer (SRO) activity, County Commissioner Jim Johnson commented at their Monday meeting that the commissioners needed to clear... [More]
By JACKIE TAYLOR Linn County News email@example.com Continuing their discussion concerning annexation at their Monday meeting, the City Council spoke of Pleasanton resident Kimberly Campbell’s request for voluntary annexation... [More]
- SPECIAL: Linn County Sheriff's Office seeking identification of subject
- La Cygne awards bid for settling pond project
- Commissioners approve roof bid for fire stations
- Christmas in Linn County
- New quarantine guidelines announced, software approved for Health Department
- Wreck leaves local attorney injured
- Commissioners opt to leave mask decision to school boards
- USD 362 sets new bond election date
LINN COUNTY NEWS NEWSPAPERSRME@yahoo.com After losing their first three games, including by 30-6 at Uniontown last Friday, Pleasanton’s Blu-Jays will be looking to score first when they host Troy at 7 p.m. this Friday in a non-district matchup. “We... [More]
LINN COUNTY NEWS firstname.lastname@example.org The Prairie View football team continues to perform at a high level as they hosted Parsons on Sept. 17. The Buffalos took control of the game early on both sides of the ball, which led to an eventual 38-14 victory.... [More]
- 2021 All Linn County baseball team
- Jayhawk softball falls to Belle Plaine at State
- Briley Moore finds NFL home as undrafted free agent
- Pleasanton track competes at Jayhawk Invitational
- Pleasanton baseball starts season with a pair of walk-off thrillers against Oswego
- Prairie View, Pioneer League ponder Baldwin addition
- Pleasanton girls’ basketball hopes for good season with young but experienced team
- Prairie View football has multiple players on the All Pioneer League team
• May be mailed, e-mailed, faxed or hand delivered.
• Must be received by 9 a.m. on Tuesday morning in order to appear in that week's edition.
• Full obituaries submitted by individuals are required to be paid in advance.
• Obituaries submitted by funeral homes will be billed to the funeral home.
• Cost: $30 for 300 words or less. Each additional word over 300, 10¢. Photograph $5.
Call Barbara at 913-352-6235 or e-mail email@example.com